What's new

Old School Cool

And a few years later (with an FZR1000 in between) the mighty VMax rolled in.

VMAX.jpg
muchos huevos grande !

'82 Yamaha XS400 Seca 400. The original tank is horribly rusted out so substituted this 83 Maxim tank- the lines don't work but the tank does ;) I'm going to try salvaging the original tank but that will clearly be a long job.. meantime I'd like the bike to be running.

I just got it properly starting and running, some funny business still in the front brake master cylinder but otherwise its a pretty nice bike. 2500 miles on it, parked dead for at least 20yrs which did in the original tank via condensation. Overhauled the forks, carbs & jets, airbox, both brakes, new tires, new plugs. I have swingarm bolt covers on the way.

The worst part of the overhaul was the front brake system; the old fluid had dried to the point of becoming brown sludge filling the reservoir, hoses and caliper. New seals and pads fixed up the caliper but I'm suspicious of the master cylinder rebuild kit.. but it does work in a mediocre sort of way.

I think the next science project is to retrofit a LED lamp into the headlight which uses a fairly unobtainium bulb- the alternator is no great shakes in any case.

The sissy bar and rack are kind of nerdy but there is no doubt they would be amazingly useful on a long ride. Its a plush sort of suspension, very comfy. This is a learner bike for a friend of mine who wants to try out riding.. should be great for that. I don't think I'd want to commute on it- that highway dance of death needs more of everything than this bike has OTOH for noodling around on backroads it would be fine.

IMG_20221007_124732.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up this XT350 today, owner said he couldn't get it to run and he'd a gut full of it. Spent a few hours today on it and now it goes. Bit more work and I'll have it registered.
IMG_20221202_081444014.jpg
Running fine now, 1 kick start, not much to do now

I hope these qualify as Old School.

Circa 2006. Not long after riding pillion to a rally on my RT, my SO stated that she wanted her own bike. After passing a training class I got her this starter bike, an '82 Yamaha 550 Maxim
1982%20Yamaha%20XS550-M.jpg

She quickly outgrew it and wanted a shaft drive bike. What she REALLY wanted was a BMW but since it was my money and I didn't know how serious she was I got her this, a shaft drive '85 Maxim 700 that she rode on trips to Utah and Montana.
1985%20Yamaha%20XL700%20008-X2.jpg

We discovered that the Yamaha 700 was well suited for short rides but not the kind of riding I typically do so a few years later I snagged this sweet '99 R1100R
HPIM2384-X2.jpg

Here's my former 1992 BMW K1. Wish I'd kept it.
002-M.jpg

And my former 1992 Ducati 907IE
HP%20Photos%20026-M.jpg

Attachments

• Deb%20n%20bike%20003-M.jpg
    Deb%20n%20bike%20003-M.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The maxim 550 is a great bike. My 1st bike was a gs750l and my friend had a maxim 1100 around 1990. I need another building. My maxim 550 and r100 are out in the weather. Every other bike is inside.

Okay, this is a little beyond 'old school,' dipping into vintage era.The Classic Motorcycle channel on YT has a lot of content about early and mid century bikes, mostly British. This particular video features a life-long rider who has built an impressive collection of Vincents, Scotts, Husqvarna and more. It appears that the guy owns at least twice as many bikes as they actually talk about. He says that he's ridden one particular Vincent all over Europe and even around the US.

1985 FJ600 purchased new in 1986. Never restored, stock except for mirrors, fork springs and K&N air filter. The decals on the fork legs disguise clearcoat damage from an overzealous safety inspector who should never have been issued a razor blade.

20210311_162619 (2).jpg

Top Bottom Back Refresh