What's new

Protect your entire body on every ride

I'm glad it was limited to bones, with no apparent joint injuries. Any kind of gear I can think of that could prevent that wouldn't be much fun to wear. May as well be in a SxS at that point.

I forgot to ask, did the bike end up on top of you once you both reached final rest?
Bike ended up on the foot, after it rolled the foot 100+ degrees or more to the left

I wear a full face helmet, gloves , armored jacket , and work boots 100% of the time. But I wear jeans 99% of the time , and I have riding pants. It's easy to pull off/on the helmet , gloves, and jacket. Pants are pain, I guess i need to get some riding jeans.

I wear a full face helmet, gloves , armored jacket , and work boots 100% of the time. But I wear jeans 99% of the time , and I have riding pants. It's easy to pull off/on the helmet , gloves, and jacket. Pants are pain, I guess i need to get some riding jeans.
I really like the Klim riding jeans and have no issue wearing them all day at the office. They are marginally heavier than regular jeans and just as comfortable. However, the pads will add a few pounds to your appearance.

MX armour and a light jacket for protection on a hot day , can even use a long sleeve shirt .

On my Husky 300 and every dirt bike I have owned for the last 25 years it's been ATGATT. Started riding with a new group 25 years ago and the first thing they asked me was you don't wear a chest protector? I said no I have never wore one, a couple of months later I bought my first and have worn one ever since.

Then a few years later I started racing Enduros in New England and a lot of guys were wearing knee braces. My buddy Dave was getting help from EVS and offered me his discount on a pair of carbon fiber knee braces and ordered a pair for me. It took a while to get used to them but now on my second pair and I won't ride a dirt bike without them.

On the ADV side of things always ATGATT but the gear and level of protection also morphed over the years. Up until 2020 it was good quality full face helmet, whatever gloves I could find and a light non MC specific jacket with work boots with jeans. In 2020 I bought a used KLR 650 to do the NEBRD. My first real multi day trip on a road capable motorcycle. Same setup with the gear just mentioned and had a great time. Decided to sell the KLR and upgrade to a Honda CRF450 RL in the Spring of 2021. Again my riding buddies influenced my level of protection worn. They all had been into ADV riding for years and had way more gear than me.

So over the last year I upgraded to real ADV boots , CF full face helmet, MC specific OTB pants and got my first MC specific padded jacket...

IMO where you ride, when you ride and how you ride has a lot to do with how protected and safe you are.

I am not an ATTGATT rider. I know that is the sensible thing to do but.....I'm lazy. I ride a 150cc scooter as my daily transportation. A typical ride for me is to ride 8 miles to Wally World, get some groceries and then ride home. Typically I will wear a Modular helmet, Armored jacket, gloves jeans and work boots. If its cold I'll wear textile overpants over my jeans. When I get to Wally world I normally can put all my riding gear under the seat and in the tail box. For day rides I wear all the gear.

Yesterday I washed my KLX and took it for a short, less than a 2 mile ride to dry it off. I was wearing a helmet, gloves, shorts, T shirt and sneakers. I was hot and sweaty and didn't feel like gearing up for a short ride around the neighborhood.

So I guess I'd describe myself as MOTGMOTT, Most Of The Gear Most Of The Time. The way I look at it, If Safety really was my top priority I wouldn't be riding.

Lets face it, almost everyone makes some compromises with their riding gear. Does anyone here wear top of the line racing leathers every time they ride on the street? That would give the most protection. Or do you make some compromises because of comfort and cost? Who is to say exactly how much compromise is acceptable. It's going to be different for everyone. I have never liked the term ATTGATT because what gear constitutes ATTGATT will differ from one rider to the next.

I have a pair of Hood riding jeans. They have great protection, with kevlar lining and armor at hips/knees (I switched the D3O armor for Rev'it Seesmart armor) - they're very protective, but heavy and hot. On the other hand, my Aerostch Darien pants have full-length zippers and are easy on/off.

I have a pair of Hood riding jeans. They have great protection, with kevlar lining and armor at hips/knees (I switched the D3O armor for Rev'it Seesmart armor) - they're very protective, but heavy and hot. On the other hand, my Aerostch Darien pants have full-length zippers and are easy on/off.
I have a few pairs of Kevlar reinforced riding pants. One pair of jeans and then some khaki cargo pants. I wear them when it's too hot for unvented textile pants and too cool for mesh pants.

Yesterday I washed my KLX and took it for a short, less than a 2 mile ride to dry it off. I was wearing a helmet, gloves, shorts, T shirt and sneakers. I was hot and sweaty and didn't feel like gearing up for a short ride around the neighborhood.
I'm guilty of often wearing jeans, while everything else is top level protection.
Most of the time ...

The last time I deviated from that was about 5 years ago, when I changed exhaust cans out on the Husaberg 570. Literally a 100 yard, 10-15 mph ride out to a traffic circle, then back to the house.
I did have on gloves and a full face helmet, but sneakers, jeans, and T-shirt.

Old man blew through the yield in the traffic circle, then STOPPED right in my path. Full knobby and leaning over on pavement combined with heavy braking gave me a nicely rashed forearm. Fortunately that was it, but it shows that shit happens even at 15 mph.

On one big get off on asphalt, I was really surprised at how quickly a normal pair of jeans evaporated. They offer almost zero protection. I had holes through the pants in many places and a good bit of road rash. On other get offs, man made materials have held up much better. A friend took a slide in front of me, he was wearing some Bilt adventure pants from Cycle Gear, the ass of the pants melted and tore away.

Years ago I hit Bambi at around 65 and went asphalt surfing. I was wearing Joe Rocket mesh Jacket and Pants as well as a FF helmet, boots and gloves. After I got up I discovered I was fine except some road rash on one elbow. This puzzled me because my jacket didn't even look like it had been in a crash. It was a bit too big and fit loosely and the sleeve rode up. My pants were torn up but did their job as did all my other gear. I replaced that jacket with one that fit better.

I see a lot of people demanding the best gear available, then refuse to wear the right size.

"I bought a size up so I could layer"
😒

Proper fitting gear alleviates a lot of wind issues as well. A snug fitting jacket built from sturdy materials doesn't flap around in the breeze.

I see a lot of people demanding the best gear available, then refuse to wear the right size.

😒

Proper fitting gear alleviates a lot of wind issues as well. A snug fitting jacket built from sturdy materials doesn't flap around in the breeze.
I am tall and thin so finding gear that fits right can be a challenge. I sometimes end up with jackets with the sleeves a bit short.

😒

There is no such thing as a loose jacket on me. :-(

Overpants solves this. Way easier than changing your clothes to go for a ride, and easy in the summer when you're wearing shorts. My Motoport or Aerostich pants take about 10sec to put on. Motoport are faster of the two

I am tall and thin so finding gear that fits right can be a challenge. I sometimes end up with jackets with the sleeves a bit short.
Different brands have different cuts. I've had some gear that didn't fit great and then I discovered that Dianese stuff fits me to a T. It can be tough to find a good fit sometimes. I've got a Scorpion jacket I like a lot but the arms were a bit loose in the elbows. I just stiched on a little strap so I can snug that one area up.

Top Bottom Back Refresh