What's new

+ Week Rocket Science and other Riding Tales

We stopped at the Mexican ice cream shop in Fayetteville.

P3300094.JPG

After some ice cream and socializing we headed off. A few riders split off here and the rest of us headed back to Taft.

P3300097.JPG

P3300098.JPG

P3300102.JPG

At Taft we split up and headed for home. I followed Paul, the rider from Georgia, back to the campground in Toney that he was staying at. I also needed gas as my low fuel light had been on since a few miles after Fayetteville. We stopped at a gas station and I put in 1.9 gallons. the tank is supposed to hold 2.2 Gallons. Paul also filled up his Xmax and commented that he got 90 MPG!!

We continued on the the Red Coach resort. It is an RV campground. Paul got a primitive campsite at the back of the resort. I thought his homemade camper/bike hauler was pretty cool.

P3300104.JPG

I had never seen a setup like this. The bike goes beside the camper. It is pretty basic but sure beats a tent.

P3300106.JPG

Paul and I talked for a while before I headed home. I ended up riding over 200 miles for the day.

My plan for yesterday was to ride to the cars and Coffee Event in Mid City Huntsville, meet a few friends and then go riding. When I arrived at the events the parking lots were filled with hundreds of cars. This was the biggest turnout I had seen. I rode around looking to see if there were any other bikes there and found this picture opportunity.

P4060001.JPG

P4060002.JPG

I found one of my friends. We talked a bit then I wandered off to check out the cars.

P4060004.JPG

As usual there was a real variety of vehicles.

P4060005.JPG

P4060006.JPG

A couple of Ferraris and a Lamborghini.

P4060012.JPG

A McLaren was just leaving as I walked up. I wish I had gotten there a couple of minutes earlier.

P4060014.JPG

P4060016.JPG

P4060017.JPG

P4060019.JPG

Attachments

• P4060018.JPG
    P4060018.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 2
I came across three bikes and one caught my eye.

P4060020.JPG

The Twinstar caught my eye because I bought one back in the 80s for my wife to learn on.

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_twinstar1_zpsive3qbit.jpg

Soon the group i would be riding with all showed up and we talked a bit.

P4060021.JPG

One more pic to catch an interesting old car driving by.

P4060022.JPG

Last edited:
We rode up to Lynchburg for lunch. The only pic I took on the ride was stopping to grab a tag.

P4060023.JPG

When we got a few miles from Lynchburg I saw a sign to watch for runner in the road. I didn't see any but when we got to Lynchburg the town square was blocked off for a Marathon.

P4060024.JPG

We ate lunch at the barrel House BBQ.

IMG_20240406_113015487_HDR.jpg

Then it was time for the best part of the ride. We headed West where most of the best local roads are. I stopped to post a new tag.

P4060029.JPG

That was a clean cm200. In 2014 I fixed a 1981 cm200 for a friend. Well I ended up with the bike and rode it to work for 3 years. The cm200 was great in many situations. I never found a replacement. One of my better bike investments. The little bike worked annoyingly well. Great in the snow and had a crazy top speed for such low hp. Much like my xt225.

That was a clean cm200. In 2014 I fixed a 1981 cm200 for a friend. Well I ended up with the bike and rode it to work for 3 years. The cm200 was great in many situations. I never found a replacement. One of my better bike investments. The little bike worked annoyingly well. Great in the snow and had a crazy top speed for such low hp. Much like my xt225.
It was a great little bike but it struggled when going up mountain roads. It wouldn't pull 4th gear and would be screaming in third. It could have used a 5 speed gearbox.

It was a great little bike but it struggled when going up mountain roads. It wouldn't pull 4th gear and would be screaming in third. It could have used a 5 speed gearbox.
I sold mine for $450 to a 6'4" 270lb rider. He buzzed I 80 through Oh, IA and PA. Those bikes were favorites for the Lake Erie Loop Cannonball

At Taft we split up and headed for home. I followed Paul, the rider from Georgia, back to the campground in Toney that he was staying at. I also needed gas as my low fuel light had been on since a few miles after Fayetteville. We stopped at a gas station and I put in 1.9 gallons. the tank is supposed to hold 2.2 Gallons. Paul also filled up his Xmax and commented that he got 90 MPG!!

We continued on the the Red Coach resort. It is an RV campground. Paul got a primitive campsite at the back of the resort. I thought his homemade camper/bike hauler was pretty cool.

P3300104.JPG

I had never seen a setup like this. The bike goes beside the camper. It is pretty basic but sure beats a tent.

P3300106.JPG

Paul and I talked for a while before I headed home. I ended up riding over 200 miles for the day.
Great pics as always!

That camper is really cool.

On Friday morning I posted up a Saturday DS/ADV ride for Saturday on a couple of sites. Despite the last minute planning we had 8 riders show up. Here we are getting ready to depart the Danville Gas Station.

P4130001.JPG

We rode a mix of paved and dirt roads.

P4130002.JPG

We stopped to check out a campground were an upcoming DS event will be held.

P4130004.JPG

P4130006.JPG

The unfinished roads that connect the bridges and the reason for the name.

P4130016.JPG

Lunch was at the Homestead cafe in Spruce Pine.

P4130018.JPG

After lunch it was tome to ride the dirt playground.

P4130019.JPG

P4130020.JPG

I love the bridge to nowhere. That looks like a fun place to ride and explore.

I wasn't sure the GS guy was coming back at first and then he jogged back into frame. :lol2

Top Bottom Back Refresh