What's new

+ Week Rocket Science and other Riding Tales

More curves today.

Screenshot 2024-05-20 195058.png

Middle of May and I hadn't taken even one overnight trip except for the DSFS which doesn't really count since that was about and hour away and I drove my truck. I was really itching to take a multi day ride. I wanted a 3 day good weather window that worked around my other plans. It looked good a couple of weeks ago then the weather totally changed. Finally there was a good forecast for Sun - Tues. I needed to be home Tues afternoon but that gave me 2 2/3 days.

I wanted to ride someplace besides my usual local roads and I also wanted to do a shakedown cruise on my GTS and also practice using my GPS on a trip. Where to go? My favorite roads in NC or N. GA. seemed the obvious places to go. Maybe stay in Tellico, Franklin, NC, or N. GA.

Then the forecast changed and Sunday looked rainy in the mountains to the East. Sure the forecast was probably wrong but I'm getting picky about the weather in my old age
gerg.gif
I also find that I tend to be less adventuresome than i used to be. I tend to do rides that I am familiar with. I remember when I used to just jump on the bike and go with no real plan and no lodging reservations. I decided to do that again. How about Northern middle Tennessee? I hadn't ridden that area before.

OK, I did do some planning and even asked for advice by starting a thread in the ADVr SE regional forum. I planned out some routes using Google maps. I got my gear together and figured out a way to mount a tailbag on the seat of my GTS that would raise up with my seat so I wouldn't have to take it off when I refueled.

So I did a lot of planning but when I got up Sunday morning my plan was to ride to Monteagle and then come up with a plan from there. I took a fairly direct route to save time. I stopped in Cowan for my first pic of the trip.

P5190002.JPG

I stopped in Monteagle, got gas and came up with a plan. Someone had suggested Rock Island SP so I plotted a route there that looked reasonably curvy. My route took me through Beersheba Springs. 56 north of Beersheba Spring has some nice curves but recent storms left debris all over the road
:(

I made it to Rock Island SP and took a some pics.

IMG_20240519_113402721_HDR-X2.jpg

P5190004.JPG

IMG_20240519_114707213_HDR-X2.jpg

P5190007.JPG

Another vantage point.

P5190011.JPG

P5190010.JPG

I continued North, still without a plan. I stopped for lunch in Sparta and came up with a plan.

I headed North.

P5190012.JPG

I stopped in Cookeville for gas and continued North on 111 which is a boring 4 lane road. As soon as i could I found a 2 lane that was also heading North. Google maps tried to route me back on 111 but eventually gave up and ended routing me on some fun roads.

P5190015.JPG

I ended up heading East and south on the a road I had found on Google maps during my trip planning.

Screenshot 2024-05-21 050732.png

I soon got to the part that really interested me.

P5190016.JPG

P5190017.JPG

After i got through all the hairpins I turned around and rode them in the opposite direction.......and then turned around again.

P5190021.JPG

P5190020.JPG

The tighter hairpins didn't have a place to park and get pics unless I parked in the road so you are just seeing the "easy" curves.

When I got back through the hairpins I turned around again....and again :ricky :ricky :ricky:ricky:ricky After 5 passes I continued on. It was still a fun road after that. Even the bridges on this road are curved!

P5190023.JPG

At the end of the road I stopped to come up with a plan on where to go from there. I decided to head to Caryville as there were some budget motels there. I put it in my GPS and headed off.

P5190024.JPG

I put Caryville in my GPS and then ignored the routing it tried to take my on.

More curves
ricky.gif
ricky.gif
ricky.gif

P5190025.JPG

P5190027.JPG

The last part of my ride took me down Old TN 63 to Caryville. I didn't take any pics but this was a cool road! The pavement sucked and it was more suited for a dual sport or adventure bike but the suspension on the GTS is surprisingly good. I didn't take any pics partly because it was down in a valley and was getting dark and partly because it was getting late.

I got a room at the Super 8 which looked to be the best choice of the cheap motels in town. There were much more expensive big box hotels like a Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn but I prefer the older style motels where you can park in front of your door. 75 buck including tax is not a bad rate these day. My room was fine except the fridge didn't work but I didn't really need it. Dinner was at Shoneys. It was also good.

After dinner I went for a walk. I'm not sure what this was about but............

IMG_20240519_203938549_HDR-X2.jpg

That was behind the Dollar General and visible from the interstate.

The Super 8.

IMG_20240519_204354143_HDR-X2.jpg

I was up early on Monday. The motel didn't have much for breakfast but I made do with a muffin, granola bar and OJ. I kind of had a plan for the morning but at the last minute I decided to explore the lake just to the north of Caryville. I headed North on 25w but it had heavy morning commuter traffic. The last thing I wanted to do was ride in heavy traffic so I took the first right I saw.

Screenshot 2024-05-21 075830.png

I followed Ridge RD which was a winding, hilly road with little traffic. I turned down a one lane dead end and followed it to the lake.

P5200028.JPG

It was a pretty spot....or it would have been without all the trash on the ground.

P5200029.JPG

I backtracked to Ridge road and wandered some more.

P5200030.JPG

P5200031.JPG

After wandering a bit more I ride back to town and gassed up.

Time to ride what I had planned the night before....

My plan was to ride this route over the mountain to the Devil's triangle.

Screenshot 2024-05-20 210137.png

I expected some rough pavement and some gravel and maybe some banjo music
icon10.gif

Out of Caryville the road passed a bunch of houses before climbing away from civilization. There was a communications tower of some sort.

As you would expect from the map there were a few hairpins.

P5200032.JPG

P5200033.JPG

P5200034.JPG

This road would be fun on a dual sport bike. There were a number of dirt roads/trails that could be explored.

P5200035.JPG

There was some traffic as I passed 3 or 4 vehicles coming the other way.

There was a "bridge to nowhere" alongside the road
ne_nau.gif

P5200036.JPG

The pavement on the route varied as it would get pretty good for a while and then get rough again. A few miles before the end the road turned to gravel. The gravel was smoother than some of the pavement.

P5200041.JPG

At the end of the gravel road I came to the intersection with 116 which is the main road of the "devil's triangle". I took a break and took this pic.

P5200042.JPG

I headed north on 116. I U turned for this pic. You can't read the sign in the pic but it was some motorcycle club.

P5200043.JPG

116 got nice and twisty as it went down the mountain.

P5200045.JPG

I took a right on 330 to complete the "triangle". As I was riding along i saw a single headlight coming up in my rear view mirror. It got closer. Then it looked weird
hmmm.gif
The rider was riding a really loooooong wheelie. He passed me and popped another wheelie. I was a bit slow with the camera.

P5200046.JPG

I think it was a KTM adventure bike. A bit later he passed a car while doing about a mile long wheelie! He was standing the whole time.

After breaking out of prison I headed up 116 to complete the triangle. The last time I rode this was over 15 years ago so I barely remembered the road. I'm pretty sure when I last rode it there weren't any guardrails, just deep ditches on the sides of the road.

IMG_20240520_100343555_HDR-X2.jpg

P5200065.JPG

P5200066.JPG

I rode to the spot where I got on 116 earlier, took a break and then backtracked.

P5200068.JPG

P5200069.JPG

This next pic didn't come out that great but I was riding along and saw a bunch of windmills on the ridgeline ahead. I was slow with my camera and didn't get a good shot as there were a lot more than in the pic.

P5200070.JPG

Old coal mining facility. The coal mine was behind me.

P5200071.JPG

Devils triangle complete I rode west on 62 and stopped in Wartburg for lunch. I had a long lunch and considered where to ride the rest of the day. Someone had recommended the Nemo train tunnel. It was close by and the road there looked like a good ride so off I went. I stopped to check out this building.

P5200072.JPG

There were a bunch of signs for race parking so there must be a racetrack nearby.

I headed west on Catoosa road. As I expected it was a fun, twisty road. When i got to the spot my GPS marked as the tunnel trail there was nothing there, just woods on both sides of the road. No problem, I continued on and found this.

P5200078.JPG

I went for a little walk.

P5200074.JPG

P5200076.JPG

P5200077.JPG

I went exploring. I found a trail that wasn't marked but might be the trail to the tunnel. It was rougher than I wanted to try on the GPS. If I was on my KLX, ADV or even Like I probably would have checked it out.

P5200081.JPG

P5200082.JPG

I went back to the park and took a few more pics.

P5200083.JPG

P5200084.JPG

I spent some time trying to figure out where to go for the rest of the day.

It was still early afternoon. I had ridden 336 miles on Sunday without getting tired. I still had plenty of time left. I decided to just head towards home. I'd rather sleep in my own bed and eat better food than I do on the road. I put home in my GPS and headed off.

Another of those pesky hairpins
icon10.gif

P5200087.JPG

Not long after that my GPS turned me on to a gravel road. No problem, the GTS does fine on gravel.

P5200089.JPG

I figured it would be just a few miles anyway. It also started raining around then. That wasn't in the forecast! The rain didn't last but the gravel did. It went on and on and on.

There was nothing out there. I finally started seeing signs of civilization which was a good thing since my low gas light came on.

P5200090.JPG

Looking back I don't know exactly where I was but I ended up on Peavine Road in Fairfield. I found a gas station that had regular and sugar free 91 octane for less than what I had been paying for premium unleaded! I filled up and even though my low fuel light had been on at least 10 miles I only got 1.65 gallons into the tank.

GPS had me taking a four lane south bit in Crossville I found a 2 lane heading south instead. 101/ Lantana Rd was a pretty nice ride. It sure beat a four lane.

P5200091.JPG

At the end of 101 I looked at my GPS. I also saw signs for Fall Creek Falls SP. Since it wasn't far out of the way I headed for it. I had stopped there around 10 years ago but decided it was worth stopping again especially since I was getting tired and needed a break.

P5200092.JPG

P5200093.JPG

P5200095.JPG

I stopped at the Fall Creek Falls. There are other falls in the park but this is the main attraction. The falls are 256 feet high.

P5200096.JPG

With all the recent rain there was plenty of water flowing. I enjoyed the view then headed back towards my bike. I noticed a sign for the hike to the bottom. Only .4 miles! I wasn't planning on hiking to the bottom but I needed a break from sitting on the bike so....

Last edited:
It was a nice and easy downhill to the falls.

P5200098.JPG

For some reason people were mostly going slow:dunno

P5200099.JPG

P5200100.JPG

I made it down fairly quickly. Now that I was here taking pics wouldn't be that easy as the falls caused a mist that quickly coated everything with water. I would wipe the lens, keep it covered and then point and shoot before it got wet again.

P5200101.JPG

Then it was time to climb back up. It was a little more work fighting gravity.

IMG_20240520_145606259_HDR-X2.jpg

IMG_20240520_145948402_HDR-X2.jpg

IMG_20240520_150233188_HDR-X2.jpg

After that it was time to grind out some miles to get home. I stopped for one more pic along the way in Cowan.

P5200122.JPG

I rode 336 miles on Sunday and wasn't too tired. I rode 319 miles on Monday and I was wiped out. It was a good shakedown cruise for the Vespa. I'll be doing a 9 day ride on the Vespa in August so I needed this practice. I also want to wear out the rear tire and put a new one on before the trip. My friend who has a Vespa GTV wears out his rear tires in around 2500 miles but the Michelin I have on the back will last much longer than that.

After putting 650 miles on my Vespa the previous weekend it was the ADV150s turn on Saturday. I set up a scooter ride meeting in Taft. The weather forecast wasn't great but as usual the weather guessers were overly pessimistic. After some heavy storms rolled through around 7 it cleared up and by the time I got on the road at 8 the rain had stopped. The roads were still wet and I had to detour around a bunch of downed trees just west of research park. I got the the Old Taft Depot before 9 and before everyone else which is unusual as the Usual suspect tend to be early. the next person to roll in was Klaus on his new "not quite a scooter"
icon10.gif

P5250002.JPG

Soon Ronnie, and Greg rolled in and David pulled up in his car. He hasn't been cleared to ride yet. Mike showed up with his Piaggio Liberty 150 that used to belong to @Clampett

P5250005.JPG

We talked a bit and got on the road. The roads were still wet and the Goat trail roads had a lot of debris so we took it easy on those. Some of the roads were dry and clean.

P5250007.JPG

P5250008.JPG

When we got to Bugtussle RD Klaus and Greg went ahead so they could open up for a while.

Mike on his Liberty:

P5250010.JPG

Top Bottom Back Refresh