What's new

+ Week Rocket Science and other Riding Tales

This gravel road runs along the river for quite a ways and I enjoy riding it. It's so smooth it could be ridden on any bike, on dual sport or adventure bike needed.

P3040028bwc.JPG

P3040029bwc.JPG

I was disappointed that the clouds covered up the sunset but I still got some interesting pics.

P3040030bwc.JPG

P3040032bp.JPG

P3040033wc.JPG

P3040035wc.JPG

Last edited:
We stopped at another scenic spot and took some pics.

P3020071.JPG

P3020073.JPG

My last pic of the ride.

P3020075.JPG

We finished the ride at the Mexican Ice cream place in Fayetteville. We had some ice cream, talked a bit and then split up to head for home. Unfortunately, as the first rider took off he was hit by an SUV and ended up in the hospital with broken ribs. The road in front of the ice cream place is a busy 5 lane. None of us saw the accident but best we can tell this is what happened. He looked left and right and the road was clear. We think the SUV pulled out from a parking lot across the street. The driver probably looked left and right but didn't look ahead and didn't see him.

His bike was barely damaged and we rode it to his house which was less than a half hour away. My ride home was over an hour and in the dark. I felt like a target the whole way. It sucks to have a ride end this way but it could have been worse. We all know the risk when we go riding.
That's terrible. How's he doing?

I think so. They're getting better, and there's a huge difference in the amount of force an airbag can absorb compared to magic inserts.
I haven't really looked into or considered airbags but maybe I should. Maybe my friend would have ridden home from this accident if he had been wearing one?

I haven't really looked into or considered airbags but maybe I should. Maybe my friend would have ridden home from this accident if he had been wearing one?
Could be. When it comes to soaking up blunt force to the torso and stabilizing the neck, a vest like the Helite Turtle can do a very good job. This is an older video with some questionable opinions, but it gives a quick overview.

Last edited:
My aunt and uncle have a friend in the DC metro who wears airbag vests. It saved his life one night while riding on the DC Beltway. He had an 80mph collision with Bambi. He was wearing full gear, suffered a nasty concussion, and a couple of broken fingers. The bike he was riding that night was his CBR1000RR. He said he felt like a slow bouncing beach ball on the pavement.

One of the nice things about living in Alabama is that spring starts in March. It gets warm and things start blooming. Sometimes the spring colors here are almost as pretty as fall colors. Yesterday was over 70 degrees and sunny so of course I went for a ride. Actually I went for more than one ride. I went to get some gas. I wanted to fill a gas can with premium. One of the biggest design flaws with the Vespa is a fuel filler neck that makes it hard to top off the tank with gas without spilling it all over the back of the scooter. I figured I could top it off easier with a can. On the way I grabbed the ADVr scooter tag.

P3070011bwc.jpg

I set a new tag on the way home.

IMG_20240307_102725154_HDRwc.jpg

My second ride of the day was an evening ride to Wheeler. It looked a bit like fall colors here.

P3070018bwc2.JPG

I was hoping for a nice sunset.

IMG_20240307_170455263_HDR-X2wc.jpg

IMG_20240307_170949433_HDRb.jpg

I took a few pics trying to catch the fisherman and the sunset. I like this one the best.

P3070025wc.JPG

Then I took a little walk to capture this scene from a completely different viewpoint.

P3070027wc.JPG

Despite the blocked sunset I was still enjoying the scenery and the ride.

P3070039wc.JPG

I liked the reflections on the water.

P3070040b.JPG

I usually try to get my bike in the pic but occasionally I leave it out.

P3070041wc.JPG

That was my last pic. Today is forecast to be rainy so probably no riding. I do need to finish putting a new tire, chain and sprockets on my KLX.

A local facebook riding group posted up an afternoon ride so I decided it was time to take the Vespa on a real ride. I got to the meeting spot early and fiddled around a bit with my new phone and mount setup.

IMG_20240310_121409887_HDR.jpg

The phone is a Samsung Xcover pro that I got on Ebay for 71 bucks. I am only using it as a GPS, it has no sim card or phone service. I just downloaded the Google maps for my local riding area.

While I was waiting I took this pic.

P3100001.JPG

Soon other riders started showing up. One of also got a new scooter recently.

P3100002.JPG

This is his first scooter.

P3100003.JPG

All the other bikes were bigger.

P3100004.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh