What's new

Shooting, Guns & Ammo, Hunting

Beans or no beans was a thread in GD from one of the original firearm forums AR15 dot com. It was a humorously contentious topic because some people got so carried away. Like blonde or brunette and Ford or Chevy, beans or no beans can't be proven but many tried and failed. Over time It's become a sort of funny or covert way to ask someone if they were familiar with the forum.

I was curious if maybe I’d rubbed shoulders with anyone here from GD the good old days of GD.

Think of ordering a new Truck and squirrel shooter

1699451074913.png

gdfsgsdfgsdss - Copy.jpg

Wife called me while in the stand. My boy saw a deer in the backyard. Says its walking towards the stand.

75lb button buck. A bit smaller than last year's. But it was the first that crossed and I went home empty handed the first few years hunting because I was waiting for something bigger.

Dropped it dead in it's tracks. Blew the top part of the heart right off.

There's about seven or eight more out there and I still have my archery tag. So I'll go back out during rut with my bow when the big boys are stupid.

gdfsgsdfgsdss - Copy.jpg

Wife called me while in the stand. My boy saw a deer in the backyard. Says its walking towards the stand.

75lb button buck. A bit smaller than last year's. But it was the first that crossed and I went home empty handed the first few years hunting because I was waiting for something bigger.

Dropped it dead in it's tracks. Blew the top part of the heart right off.

There's about seven or eight more out there and I still have my archery tag. So I'll go back out during rut with my bow when the big boys are stupid.
Nice! Was that with a slug?

Gotta admit I don't save any organ meat. I love chicken livers and occasionally eat beef liver for medicinal reasons, but that's it.

How's a deer heart to cook? Tough? What's the flavor like?

Gotta admit I don't save any organ meat. I love chicken livers and occasionally eat beef liver for medicinal reasons, but that's it.

How's a deer heart to cook? Tough? What's the flavor like?
Like, very lean beef. Very strong flavor.

Last year's deer was a lung shot so the heart was intact. About 3/4 the way through I had enough. One of those things where a smaller portion size with more sides is better- if that makes sense.

I'm just going to sauté it and the inner loins in garlic and butter tonight. Very simple. Wife does a nice potato dish with home grown taters. I've got some coffee porter in the fridge to go down with it.

Its my #1 meal. Hands down. Bar none. Top of the list.

My wife likes the heart cooked in a crock pot and adds a box or two of Beef Broth. Then she cuts off a ring (as shown in the pan above), adds some salt and makes a Heart sandwich.

I prefer to make a baked potato, then dice up some heart, and cook that in a frying pan with some butter and as dash of salt Put that on the backed potato, and add a couple of eggs over easy. My Absolute favorite Breaky.

Was out for two hours this morning with the bow. 20º. Feet are still numb.

Processing the deer today. Working on coffee and getting feeling back into feet first.

PART_1699827174077.jpg

PART_1699827191343.jpg

75lb deer
16lbs of ground
6lbs of...cuts?

Pretty lousy yield I think, but I guess it adds up? It was a small deer. Just happened to be the first one to walk by. Didn't want to risk going home empty handed this year.

Still have my bow tags, so maybe something bigger will walk by.

Top Bottom Back Refresh