What's new

Shooting, Guns & Ammo, Hunting

PART_1699827174077.jpg

PART_1699827191343.jpg

75lb deer
16lbs of ground
6lbs of...cuts?

Pretty lousy yield I think, but I guess it adds up? It was a small deer. Just happened to be the first one to walk by. Didn't want to risk going home empty handed this year.

Still have my bow tags, so maybe something bigger will walk by.
Deer around me are small. We cleaned up two deer last winter and it just filled a 5 gallon bucket.

Those two back straps look good though!

After the Duck Hunt Sat Morning, I did a nice upland hunt

1699806008817.jpeg

1699806564226.png

1699806077093.png

1699806104644.png

Pheasant, Quail and a Lucky Rabbit too

1699806158983.png
It's been ages since I've seen a quail. I don't think they're in our area anymore.

That team carry with the rabbit is great 😁

It's been ages since I've seen a quail. I don't think they're in our area anymore.
They are pretty thin around my part of the Midwest these days, I used to be able to get my limit just about any time I wanted but now rarely see them. My granddad always thought it was pesticides in field killing the eggs, I suspect stray cats kill just as many.

I've heard it's the loss of natural grasses that affects them the most. Fescue grows in thick, even growth compared to the clumpy naturally grasses that create channels that young quail thrive in.

"Gamey" has always been a pet peeve of mine. Haven't watched the video so I might be making a fool out of myself.

Wild game doesn't taste gamey. It tastes like it tastes. It's not chicken nuggets, so it doesn't taste like chicken nuggets.

The duck I shot yesterday was cooked today for breakfast and tasted exactly as duck should
PXL_20231203_121921527.jpg

Process a deer wrong and cut a scent gland, it will be gamey.

For large animals like deer and pigs, the time it takes to field dress correctly and cool the meat down quickly is important. If not done property, a perfectly fine deer can end up gamey.

We have a pretty long deer season here, so I wait for a cold front and then go harvest it in 30F - 40F weather.

Last edited:
Our Waterfowl season which ends next tuesday the 20th on the tidal areas and started last september the 1st, has been a difficult one for us all. weather and thus somewhat eratic goose movement has kept the pass shooting opotunities to a minimum.
Ducks have been a bit more predictable but the floods everywhere have spread them out a lot and bigger bags even in usual hot spots have been few and far between.
I have taken to running an old 32 inch side by side of spanish origins with long profile full and extra full choke. Which dispite its ancient origins patterns 11/4 oz of UK 2s steel in the 80% at 50 yards so its helped harvest ducks better in hard times.
I need to look at a pair of Jebs waterfowl chokes for My browning 3.5 inch waterfowl O/U.
I use a terror 720 in the Gold 10 which works great with BBB 15/* loads but just been using 705 briley tubes in the 12ga brownings need a more dedicated tighter patterning choke for the 12s.

Waterfowl closed on Jan 20 for us. Sad day for sure.

Pheasant is still open for 45 more days.

1708035150788.png

Waterfowl closed on Jan 20 for us. Sad day for sure.

Pheasant is still open for 45 more days.

1708035150788.png
Our Pheasant / game shooting ends on 31st January and inland non tidal waterfowling the same day. But on the tides / coasts we get to 20th february. then its deer and pigeons vermin predators only until grouse opens on 12th of august etc.

Top Bottom Back Refresh