What's new

Shooting, Guns & Ammo, Hunting

It is a long summer between 30 March when it all stops, and then the next bird season is Sept 1.

The used prices for a Del-Ton AR15 sure have dropped into the abyss. I was thinking about selling mine. I don't remember which exact model it is. I bought it in early 2012 for $700.

heck they just about give away MILSPEC adjacent rifles nowadays

1708279263307.png

Tacticool was a huge fashion trend. I'm guessing the fad is wanting now.

I'm waiting for craftsmanship to return to firearms. I really like polished and blued steel with nicely finished wooden stocks.

Gritty, but easy to apply, black oxide "finishes" and injection molded plastic bits should make a firearm dirt cheap. You're mass-producing a basic tool at that point.

I've always despised the tacticool trend. The militia tards/fools/patriots/valor thieves seem to be heavily into it. All of my long guns have iron sights. There isn't any of that laser or red dot horse shit on mine. The only thing I ever did to my AR15 is put on a different pistol grip and angled foregrip.

IMO most AR's are disposable. They are a cheap tool that gets the job done with acceptable performance.

We keep one in each tractor at the ranch for shooting pigs

At this point I would trade mine for a Norinco Mak-90 with wood stock. I regret the decision to pass up on one while I was living in the PNW. Unfortunately all I can find are Mak-90s going for more than a thousand dollars these days.

AR-15's of all variations are now prohibited in Canada. If you had one before the prohibition it has to be locked in your gun safe during the current amnesty period. According to Trudeau, 'Assault style' firearms like AR-15's were designed 'to kill the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time'. Included in the ban were many other popular firearms deemed to be 'assault style' such as AR-10's, M4 carbines, Ruger Mini-14's and M14's.

Left wing politicians are idiots and liars. Their dishonesty and hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I amazed they know the number of rifles by type
From the importers, I assume. For some they have been restricted for a long time so exact numbers would be known. Not counting anything smuggled in illegally, of course.

Last edited:
AR-15's of all variations are now prohibited in Canada. If you had one before the prohibition it has to be locked in your gun safe during the current amnesty period. According to Trudeau, 'Assault style' firearms like AR-15's were designed 'to kill the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time'. Included in the ban were many other popular firearms deemed to be 'assault style' such as AR-10's, M4 carbines, Ruger Mini-14's and M14's.

Left wing politicians are idiots and liars. Their dishonesty and hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Most people who comment/legislate on this have no idea what they are talking about, how easy it is to miss under duress, how easy it is to reload with some basic training/practice. Everything they know is from John Wick movies.

There was a stabbing locally at a trade school. A student pulled out a knife and stabbed two other students (one later died). The police came and he still had the knife in hand and they eliminated the threat. In the comments on the article "why did the police have to shoot and kill him, he just had a knife...?"

In any target rifles BR and 1000yard BR a synthetic stock is ok if thats what you want it should not move with moisture once beded its beded kind of deal ok in hunting rifles in the rain knocked about etc. But in my opinion i like rifles and shotguns to have wood stocks, certainly for hunting. I do a lot of waterfowling coastal tidal estuaries and salt flats. synthetic stocks work, but once temps get down to freezing the synthetics are cold where as wood is not so much. I know like houge over mouled etc will not be as cold to handle un gloved but wood is naturaly insulating not holding the cold like typical synthetic stocks from browning beretta and beneli.
Our season is done now opens aug 12th on grouse sep 1st partridge and waterfowl.
This next season i am having a change in approach.
I am typicaly shore line goose flighting no decoys , with some shore line duck flights both pass and into the blocks. this season i will be running just two guns, my old Chieftain 32 inch 3/4 and full SxS double and my Browning gold ten light with SRM 720 terror and only BBB 4.83mm steel reloads at 1585 FPS average i get 60% + patterns at 60 measured yards with that combination . The Old chieftain dispite being fixed choke is a great patterning gun with lightening steel (Book 1)load 24 And an Aliant 381( comercial A Steel like early lot 2 A steel in performance) In a 36 gram 11/4 oz BB steel Goose load .
I am not running any of my other shotguns out of determination. I give myself these little challenges every few seasons and was due one this time i think. i am 66 and we simply dont know how many more times we can challenge ourselves before we croak so i am on it in the 2024/ 2025 season.
Ps as a little background in 2018 to 2019 i ran a 1971 Ithaca 37 featherweight in 20ga just 70mm chambers and mod choke a whole season on ducks and geese flighting pas shooting shores on tides with only number 2 steel lil gun reloads. and it was good. Did i let a lot more geese pass? Oh yes.
Was there anytime i regreted running this little gun on geese? Oh yes.
Did it generaly work within its designed range? Perfectly when i did my bit good.
Would i do this again? Probably not
But i am seriously looking at a browning cheapo citori in 30 inch .410 and running 3/8th steel 2.8mm on ducks on coastal into decoys with some restrained pass shots 2025 vto 2026. if you dont challenge your abilities you wont develop and we none of us ever stop learning.

Big Horn’s AR500 Is A T-Rex Thumper​

If you think a 458 SOCOM kicks, try The 500 Auto Max -- a rimless 500 S&W Magnum that offers shooters the option of buying factory fodder or reloading this behemoth.

1708866627852.png

I didn’t think the 458 had a lot of recoil.

I shot a short barrel version of the 500SW revolver and can’t say the same about that.

Top Bottom Back Refresh