What's new

The DR650 Thread

I still haven't safety-wired the NSU. 37K on the bike. Should I be worried?

I don't know of any proof of catastrophic damage reported. The screws are never very tight due to overtightening will crack the NSU plastic housing.

Now stop trolling! :lol3

For you guys that run windscreens, what do you like? I'm getting older and long days of slab are starting to wear on me. So much so I even started looking at the new KLR. DAMN! What am I thinking? I finally come back to reality, and am now searching for something I can add or remove when needed. I currently have on a parabellum rally, and even though I really like the looks of it, I doesn't agree with me. The air is focused right at the base of my helmet and the noise and turbulence is unforgiving. So much so I can't even see straight at 60 mph.
Best of all worlds

I don't know of any proof of catastrophic damage reported. The screws are never very tight due to overtightening will crack the NSU plastic housing.

Now stop trolling! :lol3

I acquired second hand bike in pieces cheap because an NSU screw went through the clutch and primary drive, very messy. Others have had them appear when they've done an oil change with no damage.

There's a reason Suzuki eventually decided to Loctite them at the factory.

Loctite is fine, simple question, "Do you feel lucky?"

I've seriously looked the BC lynx fairings over and I've no doubt they're quality plus an upgrade on the lights. However, I'd be greatly disappointed if it didn't block the wind blast to my expectations. I'm still kicking myself over the $100.00 I spent on my current windscreen. Not bad mouthing parabellum, I think they're a great company, the design just wouldn't work for me.

I've seriously looked the BC lynx fairings over and I've no doubt they're quality plus an upgrade on the lights. However, I'd be greatly disappointed if it didn't block the wind blast to my expectations. I'm still kicking myself over the $100.00 I spent on my current windscreen. Not bad mouthing parabellum, I think they're a great company, the design just wouldn't work for me.
yea, that's what I did. I tried the $7 trash can one to see if it'd work, nope, took it off. Just won't work with my height.

I acquired second hand bike in pieces cheap because an NSU screw went through the clutch and primary drive, very messy. Others have had them appear when they've done an oil change with no damage.

There's a reason Suzuki eventually decided to Loctite them at the factory.

Loctite is fine, simple question, "Do you feel lucky?"

Yeah, I was razzing Klay. :D

Mine was simple enough without removing the clutch, using an offset screwdriver.

2008 model, screws were tight enough, went ahead and removed cleaned and used blue Loctite. Gasket came off clean and was reused. Work was done laying on its side, no oil drained.

I still haven't safety-wired the NSU. 37K on the bike. Should I be worried?

I would not sleep until you fix it!

Joking aside, it's a mildly controversial subject because there wouldn't be much torque on the bolts had they been installed properly. Thus, they will feel loose regardless of whether they're on the verge of working themselves out or not. It would seem to fall within the realm of common sense for Suzuki to apply Loctite given the application, but they did not.

Only things to know about the job are:

1.) If you're lucky the clutch cover gasket will come off in one piece, if not ... it's an arduous careful scraping process to remove the remnants. Murphy's law dictates that if you buy a new gasket in advance you will not receive this fate. Prayer and sacrificial offerings may also be warranted.
2.) On a high millage bike it's likely that the thrust washer and spacer will also be worn. Not a bad idea to replace them.
3.) There is an oil shroud held in place with phillips head screws that needs to be removed. Use an impact driver to avoid stripping them out. They are in w/ loctite. Apparently Suzuki didn't have enough left over for the NSU.
4.) The NSU screws can just be replaced w/ loctite. Some prefer safety wire or both.
5.) Lining the clutch cover up is kind of a pain because the clutch actuator in the cover needs to line up with teeth on the shaft propagating from the clutch. Teeth face forward + patience.

EDIT: ... and yes the clutch does need to come out, and yes it would be highly advisable to have the clutch basket tool. If you want to tackle this, send me a PM and you can borrow mine.

Only things to know about the job are:

1.) If you're lucky the clutch cover gasket will come off in one piece, if not ... it's an arduous careful scraping process to remove the remnants. Murphy's law dictates that if you buy a new gasket in advance you will not receive this fate. Prayer and sacrificial offerings may also be warranted.
yea. sure. I had one on hand. spent like five hours scraping that stupid thing off. :lol2

IMG-9615.jpg

When I'm having a crappy day I just look at this photo, take a couple of deep breaths and remind myself that life could be worse.

I'm currently working on an 8 VT700C right now dealing with the stator cover gasket. that shit show has been going on for a bit now. hopefully next week it'll be sorted.

I had to replace the stator a while back. Therefore, I had to scrape the gasket off. I found that Scotchbrite took the gasket right off without scratching the aluminum enough to matter. No leaks.

Last edited:
I'm facing this with the Shadow right now.

Bought the following:

and those get inserted into:

which I hook into my M18 Drill. works great. the brushes don't last the longest, but that's why there's like fifty in the bag.

The thing with the NSU is that its a plastic material that shrinks a bit over time with numerous heating and cooling cycles. Which means what was once adequately tightened securing screws become not so tight over time, then they can back out.

If they had a metal sleeve fitted the the problem would likely not exist. Its also interesting that all the other internal screws that are metal to metal are loctited :hmmmmm

Decided to give one of these a shot on my rally screen. If it doesn't work, I'll keep it around for something else down the road. Once I get it on and tested, I'll let you guys know.
hate to inform you, but I did the same thing on my street bike. at 50mph, it flung right back. didn't last me ten minutes.

Hmmm, if this doesn't work then I may just start looking for a more suitable bike for slab work to add to the stable. Gonna have to get a bigger stable.

Hmmm, if this doesn't work then I may just start looking for a more suitable bike for slab work to add to the stable. Gonna have to get a bigger stable.
I'm doing the same right now. I'm hung up on a Harley Fat Bob. There's also the Suzuki C90, but I'm not sure on height. The Fat Bob fit me perfectly.

I've also got a GSX650F for more road days.

I figure somewhere around five bikes I'll have all my bases covered.

Top Bottom Back Refresh