What's new

Tire Changing Machine ...

Does the street bike changer work with tubes? Do I need an attachment or anything like that?

You can use the Street Bike Changer with Tubed Tires. Rabacaonda made a video for changing a tire that has tube

I recently bought a NoMar. There was a learning curve, and 20 year old tires weren't too easy to remove but I figured it out. I use large C-clamps on the problem tires and it helps quite a bit. When I got to a newer tire that wasn't too wide for the rim I was surprised how easy it was to do. There are a few tricks to learn, it seems to get easier each time. The first tire I mounted involved a bad choice of hand placement and more pain than I've felt in quite some time, but I learned a lesson there too...

Around here it costs $45 to have a tire mounted and balanced if you bring in the wheel, I heard twice that if the wheel is still on the bike. My local Ducati dealer charges the going online rate for tires so that's ok, but they're an hour away. It costs me $25 in gas each trip and they don't do it while I wait. The Yamaha dealership 5 minutes from here doesn't have a stellar reputation for changing tires and I've heard a lot of shops can't balance Ducati rear wheels from SS swingarms. Maybe that's changing, I dunno.

The convenience of being able to do it in my basement was a huge sell for me. Years ago I had to have a tire put on my 996 rear wheel. The closet place that could do it was 45 minutes away, and wouldn't do it while I waited. I dropped it off on Friday. Showed up Monday as agreed to pick it up. They hadn't done it yet, and did it while I waited. There's an hour and a half of driving wasted...

I should have done it years ago to make it "worth it" but oh well.

I recently bought a NoMar. There was a learning curve, and 20 year old tires weren't too easy to remove but I figured it out. I use large C-clamps on the problem tires and it helps quite a bit. When I got to a newer tire that wasn't too wide for the rim I was surprised how easy it was to do. There are a few tricks to learn, it seems to get easier each time. The first tire I mounted involved a bad choice of hand placement and more pain than I've felt in quite some time, but I learned a lesson there too...

Around here it costs $45 to have a tire mounted and balanced if you bring in the wheel, I heard twice that if the wheel is still on the bike. My local Ducati dealer charges the going online rate for tires so that's ok, but they're an hour away. It costs me $25 in gas each trip and they don't do it while I wait. The Yamaha dealership 5 minutes from here doesn't have a stellar reputation for changing tires and I've heard a lot of shops can't balance Ducati rear wheels from SS swingarms. Maybe that's changing, I dunno.

The convenience of being able to do it in my basement was a huge sell for me. Years ago I had to have a tire put on my 996 rear wheel. The closet place that could do it was 45 minutes away, and wouldn't do it while I waited. I dropped it off on Friday. Showed up Monday as agreed to pick it up. They hadn't done it yet, and did it while I waited. There's an hour and a half of driving wasted...

I should have done it years ago to make it "worth it" but oh well.
Marc Parnes does cones for Duc ss wheel balance. Top quality balancer. Silk thru Atlanta t9…

Marc Parnes does cones for Duc ss wheel balance. Top quality balancer. Silk thru Atlanta t9…
So does NoMar. I got the balancer with it and the "large cones" option so in theory they'll work but to be honest I haven't tried them yet.

Reactions: EGR
For any tire changing plans, for those hard tires and stiff sidewalls etc - it's really worthwhile to set the tires out in the sun to warm and relax the tire carcass material

I've found that makes a tremendous difference in how the process moves through the tools and the hands

A hair dryer blower or a heat gun might do the same trick, although I haven't ever needed anything more than the sun, granted I live at 5000' elevation in the Northern Nevada high desert

A hair dryer blower or a heat gun might do the same trick, although I haven't ever needed anything more than the sun, granted I live at 5000' elevation in the Northern Nevada high desert

Works great on short, cold Wisconsin early spring/late fall days.

1662582310899.png

I have a no-mar, use the hitch mount and mount it to my tractor. Works great for tubeless tires. Not so much of a fan using it on tubed knobbies, planning to add a rabaconda to the shop for the dirt bikes.

There's a few of us thinking about going in on a machine together. Something like 12 bikes between all of us. If you had a few grand to drop on a machine, what would it be?

Well I just finished my first tire with the mighty Rabaconda. I'd have to call it a qualified success. there is a definite learning curve. I'd have to say that if I hadn't done a million tires by hand it would have been nearly impossible, or much more difficult. Knowing what to look for really helps.

In any event I think I need some better tire lube. Any recommendations? I know Yamalube used to be the boss, but I couldn't find it sold by the tub on Amazon. Anyone try Murphy's?

Rabaconda makes their own paste now.

I've used a lot of them, Yamlube is great, you can or used to get it at RMATV

Top Bottom Back Refresh