What's new

Tire Changing Machine ...

I've been using this with good results
1665448036665.png

yep. RU GLyde here. I stuff a sponge you'd use to wash your car in the little handle of jug. works great.

So what is the consensus here then? If you were able to choose an electric machine. The end all of tire machines for motorcycles.

So what is the consensus here then? If you were able to choose an electric machine. The end all of tire machines for motorcycles.
For me, if you change a lot of tires for yourself or for your buddies then a powered machine is the best bet if you can swing it, especially if you can find a used one. I had previously been using a modified old Harbor Freight tire changer. I have probably done 50 tires on mine already including darkside tires on the Wing and trailer tires. I didn't pay much for more for the used Derek Weaver machine I bought than a new Rabaconda or No Mar costs. What ever you buy look around until you can find a used one at a good price.

If you only change a few tires a year, I would continue doing them by hand.

Last edited:
For me, if you change a lot of tires for yourself or for your buddies then a powered machine is the best bet if you can swing it, especially if you can find a used one.
This is where I am at. I also pickup one or two bikes a year to flip. trashed tires are usually the #1 thing wrong with them that people don't want to bother with. being able to slap on some fresh rubber would be a huge selling point.

That Derek Weaver one is on top of the list.

This is where I am at. I also pickup one or two bikes a year to flip. trashed tires are usually the #1 thing wrong with them that people don't want to bother with. being able to slap on some fresh rubber would be a huge selling point.

That Derek Weaver one is on top of the list.

Sound like you have your answer. I just looked at the Derek Weaver website. Prices have gone up a lot since Covid.

I have this machine:

They were going for about $1600 when I bought mine used one for $600.

For $1600, I'd buy one today. hah.

Alrighty, I'll keep any eye out then. :beer

edit: how is it with tubes? The NoMar my Dad has is...ok, but tubed tires can be a bitch.

Well THAT didn't work out too well, LOL. Used the mighty Rabaconda to R&R a rear tire on the R1100RS today. Complete, total, and utter failure is the best way to describe it. I finally gave up after an hour and a half and installed it by hand. I think the problem was that the bead wouldn't stay in the drop center. I had never thought too much about it, but with a tire on the floor I spend a minute or two making sure the tire is set correctly, and it's easy to just stand on the bead if you need to get it to drop back into place. You can't really do that with the Rabaconda. The video shows a tool to hold the beads in the drop center, so I guess I'm shopping some more. I have a few more tires to change this week. I may try some big zip ties or something since my drop center tools won't get here in time.

BTW, Ru-Glyde FTW!

Some little wooden blocks shoved between the wheel and tire will keep the one side in the drop center. Not sure if that would work on using the Rabaconda, as I have never used one.

I still use the wooden blocks with some tires even on my Derek Weaver pneumatic changer.

I have never tried the big zip tie method, but was told with lots of Ru Glyde it works real good.

I have a NoMar tire changer and use these blocks to help keep the tire bead in the drop center.

Complete. total, unmitigated SUCCESS! It took a few tries but I think i have it figured out. My lessons learned:

1. Too much lube? No such thing.

2. Use the bead breaker to hold the tire down when installing the tire iron.

3. Put a small block of wood (thanks guys!) at the 1:00-2:00 o'clock position when starting the second bead.

4. Use the bead breaker again to help remove the duck head assembly after the second bead.

In fairness, the video is pretty good. That being said, he's doing a lot of little things you don't notice until you try it yourself.

Top Bottom Back Refresh