What's new

Tool Kits - Bare Minimum or Maxi Kit

I carry somewhere between the max and the min. I want to be able to fix a flat and inflate it. Beyond that I want to be able to do basic adjustments or repairs but I'm not going to be tearing down the engine at the side of the road. Since I have four bikes I have a tool kit that stays on each one.

One thing I changed after an interesting experience last year is that I now carry 2 ways to inflate my tires. We had a guy with tubless tires get a flat and the bead came off the rim. There was no way we could get the bead to seat with a small pump. Now I carry a CO2 inflater as well as a pump. This is not an issue with tube tires,

I have the working stiff version of those crazy expensive Ti tools. The Asahi wrenches are actually quite nice though a few ounces heavier. I like that they can be bought like motorcycle tool kit wrenches with combination sizes to cut down on how many I carry. Because I'm obviously in the minimalist camp.

A Motopumps Airshot also lives in my EXC airbox in space made by the tiny LiPo battery. I still prefer the instant gratification of CO2. But I also once had five rock pinch flats on my 640 in one weekend. And I once had my bro-in-law use all my CO2 on two flats. So now I have backup air.

It's almost sad that I have never needed to use this tool kit on my own bike. My old EXC has never broken.

IMG_20220323_215954940.jpg

Last edited:
I have the working stiff version of those crazy expensive Ti tools. The Asahi wrenches are actually quite nice though a few ounces heavier.

Nice to learn about these

ASAHI / ULTRA LIGHT OPEN END SPANNER SET "LIGHTOOL" / LSXS6 / MADE IN JAPAN W/T​

1648910107251.png

So I got my arm twisted and bought the same toolkit from Ted Porter. I'll be saving 2.5 pounds out of the bike so there is that.. My wallet feels a lot lighter too 😭 but good tools are worth it IMHO...

So I got my arm twisted and bought the same toolkit from Ted Porter. I'll be saving 2.5 pounds out of the bike so there is that.. My wallet feels a lot lighter too 😭 but good tools are worth it IMHO...
That's a good looking kit.
With it you also get the Warranty

1649192727801.png

Yes the warranty is quite good. My brother and I compared his set vs my cobbled together stuff and besides the weight, the SBV tools are a magnitude better than what I’m toting around…. :patch even though they have worked well.

Reactions: MVI
My normal carry kit:
eOrsWP.jpg
97Xqrl.jpg
34ojyk.jpg
q2LmyC.jpg
Yo, Jim, I'm curious about the two tire repair tools. One looks like it's for augering out puncture hole and the other looks like it's for inserting a rubber repair thingy. Do you use the rubber cement, too? I'm looking for a kit that includes everything I'd need but I don't have the stuff I see in your tire repair kit.

I have a motopumps compressor and bought the dynaplug repair kit. Used the repair kit twice and it worked well both times and it’s more compact than most plug kits.

Yo, Jim, I'm curious about the two tire repair tools. One looks like it's for augering out puncture hole and the other looks like it's for inserting a rubber repair thingy. Do you use the rubber cement, too? I'm looking for a kit that includes everything I'd need but I don't have the stuff I see in your tire repair kit.
Yup, this kit:
1650168802172.png

Available anywhere.

This process, but the T-Handles make it easier. http://www.jvbproductions.com/Tire_Plugging.html

I just picked this up.

I also got a titanium T-driver w/ 1/4" square drive on one side and 1/4" hex on the other for bits.

2022-05-13 17.37.49.jpg
2022-05-14 00.45.04.jpg
I'm interested in how that works for you. Having designed a few tools in Ti alloy I've thought it would be too stretchy for an adjustable wrench.

Probably entirely solid for the amount of torque one could put directly on the handle (assuming a good fit on the jaw), but put a pipe on it as a cheater maybe not. Don't see any features like a "1/4" square drive on one side and 1/4" hex on the other"- design looks like a conventional crescent wrench to me.

I wondered if they were using a stiffer alloy than other titanium wrenches. It's easy to side load an MP wrench enough to feel it flex in your hands.

With the Motion Pro set, the box ends are small enough to maintain their shape - being a full circle has its benefits. I'd imagine the open ends are more susceptible to the "jaws" flexing out of true. An adjustable spanner would seem to have even more possibilities for alignment issues.
Is the jaw adjustment mechanism titanium? Vanadium is commonly alloyed with Ti to stiffen.

Top Bottom Back Refresh