What's new

What did you do in your garage today?

New tires on the scooter today. Was hoping not to have to install another set this year, b
IMG_1816.jpg
ut the old ones were shot.
IMG_1817.jpg
IMG_1818.jpg
IMG_1819.jpg

Finally made up the accessory harness for the garmin cradle and drift camera, left a 3rd connector to power the chain oiler which is next to build. Happily, Suzuki changes the location and connector type of the option circuit with model year and type- Sumitomo MT on the F series GSX-S1000, previous years it was HM; sometimes on the side of the engine, sometimes up front and the GT model is different too.

Used 16ga jacketed pair instead of the small stuff I used on previous bikes- sure like the Sumitomos rather than the last DIY rig which sported RCA plugs & jacks mated inside short lengths of vinyl tubing.

The newer bike accessory accomodations are nice- on my old Bandit and R6 there was was nothing so you'd end up tapping off other parts of the harness, ideally using an intermediate relay to get accessory power directly off the battery.. on the gsxs the option circuit is independently fused, easy peasy.

Spent the day double checking our hurricane prep kit. Video recorded the outside and inside of our house just in case
I've got to make an insurance claim. Filled the Tacoma with gas. Also got 15 gallons of gas for the generator.

Finalized our "go bag" with important papers and such.

SWMBO gets kinda anxious ,so application of distilled spirits will be required......

🍸🍹

bought a fancy shock reducing Convert a ball HD hitch that ZoomerP turned me onto , 14k# Rating for the hitch, 20K# on the ball

1664128717267.png

2-5/16 ball requires 450 FT-LBF

1664128803390.png

Have just the tool for the job - 1-7/8" socket & 3/4" breaker bar w/ a 5' calibrated pipe

1664128823829.png

450 FT-LBF - 451 FT-LBF : close enough

Looks good.

1664128904695.png

Spent the day double checking our hurricane prep kit. Video recorded the outside and inside of our house just in case
I've got to make an insurance claim. Filled the Tacoma with gas. Also got 15 gallons of gas for the generator.

Finalized our "go bag" with important papers and such.

SWMBO gets kinda anxious ,so application of distilled spirits will be required......

🍸🍹
Good luck up there! It looks like S Fl may escape the worst, but SFWM has been pumping water out of the lakes and canals just in case….
We are staying put as the storm will be the size of the state anyway….

Good luck up there! It looks like S Fl may escape the worst, but SFWM has been pumping water out of the lakes and canals just in case….
We are staying put as the storm will be the size of the state anyway….
Not my first rodeo....
We've lived in Central Florida for 40+ years.

2004 season was my worst, Charley/Francis/Ivan/Jeanne

Hope we never have to go through that again.

Be well and stay safe FLrider !

😊

I remember 2004 well. Some of my friends lost their houses on the west coast due to Charley…..

Decided it was time to add a tensioner to the 12K# Winch on the front of the truck.

Got one a universal one, looked ok at first

The tensioner plate did not line up with the torsion springs, so had to mill a key hole in the steel

1664586189088.png

Install was as expected, Torsion springs hell for stout

1664586289340.png

Then started to spool in the line and the line anchor bolt snagged and tore the plate to hell. Oops.

Took it off and cut the "bad part" off it

1664586588612.png

Decided that Sat will take it apart and make my own plate with some thicker material, add a tapered 45 degree kick out to clear anchor bolt, the much akin to the tensioner I made a few weeks ago for another winch.

bought a fancy shock reducing Convert a ball HD hitch that ZoomerP turned me onto , 14k# Rating for the hitch, 20K# on the ball

1664128717267.png
Towed a 5000# trailer to the Ranch and back. That included 20 miles of gravel road and about 6 miles of Dirt that was not really a road, more of a path.

This hitch smoothed out the ride. Color me impressed

Wife wanted the wheel taken off the Cargo Trailer Jack, and said to make a Deadman Foot.

She rounded up some scraps and 10 min later we had a solution

1664664394672.png

No more sinking in the dirt with a silly wheel. Happy Wife, Happy Life

1664664775495.png

Last edited:
Helped a neighbor to winch out a tree with some pulleys and tree strap.

1664726980768.png

1664727012277.png

Dewalt 20v saw For the WIN

1664727056918.png

I'm rubbish at sharpening knives with stones. Mixed success with sandpaper, but hardly ever get good results with stones. Realized I do better cutting the stones in to small pucks and holding the tool still for large items ( axe, hatchets..) but still no luck with small knife.

3/4" furniture grade plywood charged with valve lapping compound then polishing compounds. This thing spits out razor sharp knives about as fast as you can drag em across the "whetstone".

Wouldn't mind if it turned a little slower. Might make a mandrel to run it in the lathe instead. I have my reservations about the speed rating of plywood 😁 But if you struggle to make good edges like me it's something to consider.

Be sure to work from the back side of the wheel so the edge can't bite in to the wood. Positive that would be devastating.

IMG_20221002_133247692.jpg

Re-affixed an winch line for a neighbor. Wife ran the cable all the way out and tried winching, go figure

1664750683405.png
Bruh, that'll never pull a truck. 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom Back Refresh