What's new

What's for dinner? Or lunch? Breakfast?

Great local pizza place
IMG_3998.jpeg

IMG_3997.jpeg

Coal fired brick oven
I especially like the coal part !

We have a brick oven place in Edenton...the best pizza in this region hands down. I keep meaning to get out there for some lighthouse history and a pizza pic. I think the building is 300 yrs old.

Leftovers tonight. A couple of Taco Bell tacos (they were $1 each on Customer Appreciation Day) and some leftover Zatarain's Caribbean Rice w/added Chorizo Sausage and Fresh Pineapple on top.

Today’s lunch.

IMG_7991.jpeg
IMG_7992.jpeg
IMG_7993.jpeg
What kind of mushroom is this?

We recently learned about morels and found a few on our place. Man, they're delicious. I've gone looking for some recently but I really don't know the best way to find them, and I think I may be racing the deer to get to them first

nope. I am well trained in eating what I shoot.

I take it slow when I eat and never broke a tooth. Knock on wood.
Worse I ever had was a stone in a bag of grocery store pintos. You'd think it would sink safely to the bottom.

What kind of mushroom is this?

We recently learned about morels and found a few on our place. Man, they're delicious. I've gone looking for some recently but I really don't know the best way to find them, and I think I may be racing the deer to get to them first
It's mostly known as a Pheasant Back mushroom or Dryad's Saddle.

This is our first time eating a wild mushroom. They aren't as sought after as morels but are good for beginners because there aren't any dangerous look-a-likes (in this area at least).

My daughter worked with some people last year who were into mushroom hunting so we tried last year. It was too late in the season and we found one but it was huge. We discovered that when we got it home and got a closer look. There's pores on the bottom that open up when it matures and many of the pores had bugs in them. They would slowly emerge and then when disturbed would scurry back and hide in the pores.

We found these ones early enough that they were still good. Raw they tasted like cucumber. We only cooked two slices at a time so we didn't ruin it all if we messed up. We used butter and then olive oil. I over cooked some and they looked and tasted just like hash brown.

It was a cool experience because we learned a lot about mushrooms. Like the difference between spores and seeds. I don't think I'd harvest more if I saw them.

It's mostly known as a Pheasant Back mushroom or Dryad's Saddle.

This is our first time eating a wild mushroom. They aren't as sought after as morels but are good for beginners because there aren't any dangerous look-a-likes (in this area at least).

My daughter worked with some people last year who were into mushroom hunting so we tried last year. It was too late in the season and we found one but it was huge. We discovered that when we got it home and got a closer look. There's pores on the bottom that open up when it matures and many of the pores had bugs in them. They would slowly emerge and then when disturbed would scurry back and hide in the pores.

We found these ones early enough that they were still good. Raw they tasted like cucumber. We only cooked two slices at a time so we didn't ruin it all if we messed up. We used butter and then olive oil. I over cooked some and they looked and tasted just like hash brown.

It was a cool experience because we learned a lot about mushrooms. Like the difference between spores and seeds. I don't think I'd harvest more if I saw them.
Yeah, the bugs seem wrong, but it's normal. Soak em in water while you're getting them ready and they'll crawl right out. One of those mind over matter things. I'm not interested in eating bugs, but cook em up and all is well. Would not be snacking on them raw😁

Morels and Turkey Tail is all we are aware of here. Identified and found tons of Turkey Tail on our place, but we haven't fooled with them yet due to lack of knowledge.

Morels taste like oysters, just a mild amount of flavor vs being rich like an actual oyster. I understand what they call em Woodfish or Dry Land Fish now. They're not fishy at all, but they do have a distinct sea food taste.

For today's lunch, I scrambled a couple of eggs and reheated some fried potatoes/peppers/onions I'd made a few days ago. Then I had a brain fart, unscrewed the cap and out POURED Texas Pete over the entire thing. I forgot it was a pop-top cap. I like Texas Pete, but not so much that my potatoes were swimming in it. :doh

Good thing there were more in the skillet.

Yeah, the bugs seem wrong, but it's normal. Soak em in water while you're getting them ready and they'll crawl right out. One of those mind over matter things. I'm not interested in eating bugs, but cook em up and all is well. Would not be snacking on them raw😁

Morels and Turkey Tail is all we are aware of here. Identified and found tons of Turkey Tail on our place, but we haven't fooled with them yet due to lack of knowledge.

Morels taste like oysters, just a mild amount of flavor vs being rich like an actual oyster. I understand what they call em Woodfish or Dry Land Fish now. They're not fishy at all, but they do have a distinct sea food taste.
Yeah bugs are going to be a part of anything growing outdoors. What we read though was that the pheasant back mushrooms aren’t good eating once they’ve matured to the point that those pores open up. The big mushroom we got last year was tough, maybe more like a cantaloupe. The little ones we ate were very tender and sliced almost like butter.

Top Bottom Back Refresh