What's new

Why are you here?

Why did you come to this forum?

• I was banned from ADV Rider

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • The VS takeover will ruin ADV Rider so I switched

Votes: 40 27.8%
  • I'm still on ADV Rider and here as well.

Votes: 101 70.1%
  • What's ADV Rider? I just wandered in off the street

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 24 16.7%

• Total voters
I start a new job Monday and won't have as much time to browse. I'm thinking of posting a gif of some Tig ol Bitties over there so I do get banned but I don't quite want a perma ban just yet. Any of you former bannees know what the recent penalty for such an offense might be?

I grew weary of imperious, condescending, and presumptuous moderation tactics and techniques.

I grew weary of heavy handed, unequal moderation- and the clique which benefited from it.

I grew weary of moderators who ceaselessly imposed their own personal ethics, morals, and beliefs upon other users- and the clique which evolved to revolve around them in a cult of personality.

I grew weary of narcissistic and needy moderators constantly demanding attention and adulation.

I grew weary of unreasonable drama queens and the perpetually offended.

The guys in JoMomma were a great bunch and a lot of fun!

News of the sale to VS was a great Xmas present.

The opportunity to leave all that behind afforded us here by Austin was even better.

I had a few run ins with the mods at the old place, probably because I struggle to accept rules that don't make sense to me. I've had some run ins with cops for the same reason. And bosses. And teachers. And lots of other people.

I'm a John Stuart Mill/P.J. O'Rourke kinda classic liberal. In simple terms, 99% of what other people are doing is none of your business, and the other 1% isn't any of your business either. MYOFB, let me mind mine, and we'll all get along fine.

I've been doing the whole forum thing since 1998 and have personally experienced what happens to great forums when VS rolls in. They must offer the forum owners a huge chunk of change since the sell happens very quickly and quietly. The end result is always the same: the same bland format, ads everywhere, click-bait links and a huge member base with no participation.

I was never an active member at advr, but I did frequent the place just to learn stuff (rarely, if ever, ventured to the lower bowels of the forum though...). When I saw the VS thread, I knew it was the first nail in the coffin. I still browse advr until the ads make me sick from changing sizes. It will take a few years, but the site most seem to love is going to disappear.

Last edited:
I was on advrider for something like 10 years but quit posting when I started getting the monetizing vibe from the owners; repeated spamming with the "ride reports", newsletters and magazines completely ignoring users' communications settings. Decided to leave altogether when they sold to vscope. Very glad that advbikes showed up, I don't go back to there at all now.

I'm active on both forums -- I came over here pretty early after deciding to visit several other sites that VS had gutted and ruined. There is some slightly suspicious stuff going on over at ADV right now in regards to super old threads being bumped and decade-old posts of mine being "liked," but otherwise no massive fall-out yet. I am, however, waiting for the hammer to drop.

I'm a little concerned that VS is delaying their killing stroke to try to stop migration here. IE, they're biding their time, slowing the rush of refugees, getting people to think, "oh, maybe they won't do the same thing here that they've done to literally every other site they've bought," and then, just when nobody is expecting it, the site is rendered useless. I just hope enough people know about this place before that happens.

I'm a little concerned that VS is delaying their killing stroke to try to stop migration here. IE, they're biding their time, slowing the rush of refugees, getting people to think, "oh, maybe they won't do the same thing here that they've done to literally every other site they've bought," and then, just when nobody is expecting it, the site is rendered useless. I just hope enough people know about this place before that happens.
You're not the only one. Best everybody can do is put link to this place in your sig and/or update your avatar like some have done to make sure they know of the place when it does happen. I doubt starting a new thread about the place would be allowed.

I was on advrider for something like 10 years but quit posting when I started getting the monetizing vibe from the owners; repeated spamming with the "ride reports", newsletters and magazines completely ignoring users' communications settings. Decided to leave altogether when they sold to vscope. Very glad that advbikes showed up, I don't go back to there at all now.
Yeah, when I signed up 12 years ago I didn't realize the whole "community" was a scheme to get cash for another supercar.

What is that shit, digital version of slave trade :fitz

I've been on AdvRider since 2004. Never once did I get banned, or even a warning about my behavior. Last year, I posted about a ride I did. I put up some pictures, one of which showed me wearing my "Traitor Joe's" shirt. A couple of comments went back and forth about it. Also I made mention that it was also a very heavily armed table of guys (us). Boom. Three days in jail. That was the warning sign to me that shit was changing for the worse. I can't recall if the increase in ads came before or after my banning, but that added to my concerns. Then they get sold. Adds increase even more. I see ads for guns for sale, on a site which prohibits that very thing on the forum. The irony! The ads grew in size, and became really fucking annoying. My screen now jumps all over the place as new ads load and other ads are replaced.

I still go there, but I'm going to be weaning myself off the site, or just leaving, if things don't get better.

S.C.
you should learn about firefox and ad block plus. I've never seen an ad anywhere

I'm here, but I'm still over there too. Not as much though. I got banned from CSM, which seems a little ridiculous. Banned for snarky comments in a sub-forum of the "Jo Momma" sub-forum. CSM has become a place where Very Serious Men discuss Very Serious Topics. I was unwilling to adjust to the serious tone.

Top Bottom Back Refresh