What's new

Yawn. Another ADVrider banning

I went in and started deleting my posts a while ago, and discovered nothing went back more than 2 years. I think content ownership was specified to a certain time period as part of the VS acquisition from Rudy.

I've nothing to base this on, other than rumor and observation. If someone knows better, I'm happy to stand corrected.

I went in and started deleting my posts a while ago, and discovered nothing went back more than 2 years. I think content ownership was specified to a certain time period as part of the VS acquisition from Rudy.

I've nothing to base this on, other than rumor and observation. If someone knows better, I'm happy to stand corrected.
I just checked. One of my tutorials, from 2006, is still there.

They may not adhere to best practices, but it's safe to assume VS has at least one backup on the shelf, and that they'd restore a forum as old and voluminous as ADVr from it. That backup may become out of date, but it'd still be far better financially to restore the forum from it than to let the lights go out.

I don't believe VS would do it out of concern for members, but they do want to keep money coming in. Dead sites can't host ads.
It looks like VS uses Fastly for hosting. Fastly is a publicly traded company (FSLY) with a 1.8b market cap. I'd bet that they are doing their backups.

Or, maybe, I am restricted from seeing my older posts?
I doubt it, but if you aren't logged in, and especially if you're accessing the forum from a random IP address, you should be able to check without any hindrance.

I'd be suprised if they cared at all about a user's individual posts. Its all about banner exposures,.not content.
I disagree. There are some posts and threads, many very old, that generate a lot of Google searches then hits and ad revenue. Most are ride reports and how to stuff. That’s what they spent money to own and I’m sure they have back ups.

I disagree. There are some posts and threads, many very old, that generate a lot of Google searches then hits and ad revenue. Most are ride reports and how to stuff. That’s what they spent money to own and I’m sure they have back ups.
I think those are two different things.

Those giant threads do draw traffic, like you said. Relative to thread deletions, individual post deletions don't mean much.

I'm not certain that it still works like this, but it used to be that if the opening post of a thread is deleted, the entire thread is also deleted. If prolific OPs delete their giant threads, VS may eventually step in to stop the deletions and restore old versions with User 039872 usernames slapped on.

I don't follow ADVr much, so this may have already happened. VS has been recycling deleted posts since they took over by changing them to generic usernames, so I expect they'd do the same thing to revive OPs to resurrect entire, deleted threads. Even if the OP remained active, they no longer have control of their posts or threads once they receive the Username Treatment. Imagine how happy you'd be to have spent years developing extensive threads, only to be kicked out of them and lose all control of your own posts.

Those giant threads do draw traffic, like you said. Relative to thread deletions, individual post deletions don't mean much.

I'm not certain that it still works like this, but it used to be that if the opening post of a thread is deleted, the entire thread is also deleted. If prolific OPs delete their giant threads, VS may eventually step in to stop the deletions and restore old versions with User 039872 usernames slapped on.

I don't follow ADVr much, so this may have already happened. VS has been recycling deleted posts since they took over by changing them to generic usernames, so I expect they'd do the same thing to revive OPs to resurrect entire, deleted threads. Even if the OP remained active, they no longer have control of their posts or threads once they receive the Username Treatment. Imagine how happy you'd be to have spent years developing extensive threads, only to be kicked out of them and lose all control of your own posts.
Have you seen any posts from active users that were undeleted and slapped with numbers? I thought that was just to anonymize accounts that were requested to be deleted.

Usually it’s not hard to find the original account name by looking at quotes. Sometimes the original name is preserved in quotes.

Have you seen any posts from active users that were undeleted and slapped with numbers? I thought that was just to anonymize accounts that were requested to be deleted.

Usually it’s not hard to find the original account name by looking at quotes. Sometimes the original name is preserved in quotes.
No, I haven't looked into it that deeply.

I believe the placeholder usernames have been generated as you described, but there's no reason the same couldn't be done post-permaban, or if a still-active member deleted a lengthy thread. I've seen it done benevolently elsewhere when someone no longer wanted to be responsible for maintaining a FAQ thread, but there's nothing preventing a less kind use of the power.

After seeing some of the moderation over there, that kind of ultimate Fuck you, buddy! doesn't seem unlikely. Having your name stripped from your own posts & threads and losing all control over them would be a tempting move for some of them.

There are some real classic old ride reports on ADVr that I would hate to see disappear. The older ones were all hosted on various sites. My older ride report pics were hosted on Photobucket but they are still all there and without the obnoxious "proudly hosted on photobucket" plastered across the pic. ADVr must have done something to make that happen although I think they did it before the VS takeover.

My old threads dating back to 2008 seem to all be intact and still under my control. I have no intention of deleting anything. I hope that in 10 or even 20 years I can still look back at my old ride reports.

My old threads dating back to 2008 seem to all be intact and still under my control. I have no intention of deleting anything. I hope that in 10 or even 20 years I can still look back at my old ride reports.
So do I, and more importantly, I'm sure VS does, too.

Whatever VS is about, content is their foundation. They have a strong interest in nothing being deleted by anyone, including the creator.

My older ride report pics were hosted on Photobucket but they are still all there and without the obnoxious "proudly hosted on photobucket" plastered across the pic.
Speaking of incredibly damaging business decisions.

1712874151305.png

It sure was a shock to see the new hosting fees in 2017. I don't know if it was due to greed or poor planning that took the company to the edge of a financial cliff. Internet archeologists will be able to identify a PB Line in forums around the world, with dead links and furious anger directed toward Photobucket.

1712874151305.png

It sure was a shock to see the new hosting fees in 2017. I don't know if it was due to greed or poor planning that took the company to the edge of a financial cliff. Internet archeologists will be able to identify a PB Line in forums around the world, with dead links and furious anger directed toward Photobucket.
I used them for years at $20 a year. Then suddenly $400 per year? I dumped them in a hot second, ruining thousands of posts. I use Image Shack now, $25 year.

1712874151305.png

I was paying around $27 a year for my PB account. When they raised their fees to $400 I was paid up for around 10 or 11 more months so I was still covered but I immediately switched to SmugMug. I thought that after my PB subscription expired all my old pics would disappear but they didn't. The ones on ADVr didn't change but the ones on other forums had the "proudly hosted..." on them. For years I would get E mails from PB telling me my pics would be gone if I didn't renew but that never happened.

I was paying around $27 a year for my PB account. When they raised their fees to $400 I was paid up for around 10 or 11 more months so I was still covered but I immediately switched to SmugMug. I thought that after my PB subscription expired all my old pics would disappear but they didn't. The ones on ADVr didn't change but the ones on other forums had the "proudly hosted..." on them. For years I would get E mails from PB telling me my pics would be gone if I didn't renew but that never happened.
I am still receiving emails from PB about an inactive account and the threat of deletion. I first started using PB in 2004 and stopped in 2017. When they essentially broke all online forums, several forum owners wrote code that would download the original image from PB and host it on their own servers. PB's greedy nature turned me away and I'll never pay their fee's to regain access to my account 🖕

Banned again, since suddenly Fucktard, is an issue there. Hell, it was coined there! What a bunch of fucktards!
One of the mods over there called someone a “flat-tard”…which I assume means flat-earthier or some shit. Either way, I took it to describe some meat-fist mechanic that stripped the drain bolt on my F-150 as a “jack-tard” and got a 1 week ban. It only got worse for me from there.

The entire site is powered by Vagisil as much as those pussies stay sore…

Never go full fucktard.
Fact! :-)

One of the mods over there called someone a “flat-tard”…which I assume means flat-earthier or some shit. Either way, I took it to describe some meat-fist mechanic that stripped the drain bolt on my F-150 as a “jack-tard” and got a 1 week ban. It only got worse for me from there.

The entire site is powered by Vagisil as much as those pussies stay sore…
Now THAT is funny! :lol3

Top Bottom Back Refresh