What's new

Chinese made bikes

So yea, for the topic at hand.

Made in China does have its places.

A $14 carb for the log splitter, great. A bag of rags for the shop, fantastic. Some toss-away tinted sunglasses for $4? Sign me up.

An internal combustion motor, requiring numerous moving parts and specific clearances, that I intend to ride at triple digit speeds, or in the vast void of the Allagash all on my own? I'll leave that to a company/location that has a better reputation.

I read that in a drunken Scottish accent and it still didn't make sense.
Sense.... Sense wadu eye know bout sense i own a Chinese toaster its super reliable had it 5 years , its a heck of a good toaster its White it has that fetching floral pattern on it like them big brand makes and it was a bargain. It Toasts just right not too crisp perfect, well it did last time i used it 5 years ago now. .

Sense.... Sense wadu eye know bout sense i own a Chinese toaster its super reliable had it 5 years , its a heck of a good toaster its White it has that fetching floral pattern on it like them big brand makes and it was a bargain. It Toasts just right not too crisp perfect, well it did last time i used it 5 years ago now. .
Toaster oven. Another example from something that I'd order from China, sure. Something that turns soft bread into crispy bread. Fine by me.

Maybe my coleman needs a second heat shield....piece of bread? Hmm cook and ride. I dont care for microwaves. A toaster that can climb tree...yippee

Checked valves and cams today all withi specs and no sign of wear at 81000 km. CF MOTO 800 MT
IMG_20230727_121014564_HDR.jpg

There's no doubt that Chinese manufacturing capabilities are up to the task. They have all the knowledge of metallurgy, the machines and know -how of everyone else. That was never the question. If you buy a Chinese built good from a reputable company ( eg: Honda) you're buying something great.

It's the shady Chinese companies you have to watch. Like the ones who build Dainese gear, and sell "Dainese" leather jackets on ebay for $100. All the leather, zippers, buttons that Dainese supplies for it's products aren't there, but you can save money buying the "clone". Is it a clone? No, it's a cheap knockoff with thin leather, shitty zippers and thin threads. But it looks the part in ebay photos and contacting them after the sale is a joke. This is a thing that happened a while back. Those Dainese products that came out of the factory were true Dainese quality, those $100 knockoffs coming out the back door were garbage. Dainese spent the money building a factory, filling it with machines and supplying the patterns. The Chinese factory took advantage of the situation by moonlighting the facility and they took advantage of the buyers by selling "clones".

It's just a shitty way to be and it's tiresome as a consumer as it becomes more and more prevalent due to people fueling it financially.

The big brands fueled china for the last 70yrs. Certain clones are real close to certain jdm models. Wonder why? But I would take a horizontal clone places that only a tw200 or a coleman might venture. It is not the orgin but the design. Crazy riders over there use their gn125 or cb clones for farming and logging. So in the middle of no where with a half mile of fallen trees..clone all the way. It would be a bad day on a "real" adv bike low on fuel. But I could have many more options on some clones. I could even take the bike apart and tote. But most likely ride around, under or over. I got stuck in briars with 6 foot deep water holes. I just ghost rode the bike off zero speed and used a small stick to ramp the bike air born. As I previously posted the big 4 does not make these types of bikes.....but they did decades ago. My xt225 and tw is as close as it gets to what some clons offer.

You get what you pay for
You do.

In the case of the knockoff Dainese jackets they were being sold as blemishes. Well, I'll buy a jacket with stained leather or one of the buttons got mounted a bit off. Makes sense as opposed to Dainese throwing all those materials in the trash, so you bite, because it's still going to be a quality garment...just blemished.The jacket arrives and you realize you got scammed. Sold as blemishes, so no refunds. 100% dishonesty from the get go.

Another example that happened to me personally. Radiator guard from China. They send the wrong thing. Supposedly. "Sorry, we'll send a replacement but it'll take a while because it's out of stock. Can you wait xxxx amount of time?" Sure, mistakes happen.

Xxxx amount of time passes, no radiator guard. Contact the seller. Crickets. Report to ebay and ebay says you waited too long- case closed. Seller replies back. "Haha".

I'm just telling stories that happened. The reputation they've built for themselves is well deserved.

CFmoto won the lottery when KTM took them under their wing. A friend on another forum owned one of CFMotos early 650 Ninja knockoffs. Looked like one, but the motor was weak, noisy and buzzy. "Clones" might look the same on the outside, but what's inside? He talked about not understanding why the bike felt SO heavy until boot wear started rubbing paint off the engine cases to reveal they were cast iron. The pictures of them rusting were hilarious. Ruins your boots, too. That's all good and well, but again, it's the whole "hey, we're selling you something like the original, but cheaper. We are your friend" approach they seem to constantly use to lure people in.

It's not the same. Sometimes it's horribly not the same.

You do.

In the case of the knockoff Dainese jackets they were being sold as blemishes. Well, I'll buy a jacket with stained leather or one of the buttons got mounted a bit off. Makes sense as opposed to Dainese throwing all those materials in the trash, so you bite, because it's still going to be a quality garment...just blemished.The jacket arrives and you realize you got scammed. Sold as blemishes, so no refunds. 100% dishonesty from the get go.

Another example that happened to me personally. Radiator guard from China. They send the wrong thing. Supposedly. "Sorry, we'll send a replacement but it'll take a while because it's out of stock. Can you wait xxxx amount of time?" Sure, mistakes happen.

Xxxx amount of time passes, no radiator guard. Contact the seller. Crickets. Report to ebay and ebay says you waited too long- case closed. Seller replies back. "Haha".

I'm just telling stories that happened. The reputation they've built for themselves is well deserved.

CFmoto won the lottery when KTM took them under their wing. A friend on another forum owned one of CFMotos early 650 Ninja knockoffs. Looked like one, but the motor was weak, noisy and buzzy. "Clones" might look the same on the outside, but what's inside? He talked about not understanding why the bike felt SO heavy until boot wear started rubbing paint off the engine cases to reveal they were cast iron. The pictures of them rusting were hilarious. Ruins your boots, too. That's all good and well, but again, it's the whole "hey, we're selling you something like the original, but cheaper. We are your friend" approach they seem to constantly use to lure people in.

It's not the same. Sometimes it's horribly not the same.
I research before I buy anything. I have not seen cast iron cases on anything. I wouldnt want a clone over 250cc. Totally defeats the reason for buying one. Ride a decked out piranha or ycf then go ride a crf110. The chinese honda has cast hubs and steel rims. The US based piranha will have way more cnc parts. It would be a tie if it wasnt for dealer mark up. One is a better track bike. And one is a better trail bike for kids. But unavailability and high dealer fees obsoletes the honda. Even the kart racers are ditching the gx series engines for harbor crap motors. And harbors new 224 is a ducar with a beafed up block. I am quite amazed with the casting and machining on the old hemi 212. I ordered 2 on sale for $150 each. The wifes 196 coleman has 3 yrs of me riding it. Not one problem out of a $500 "toy". My new generator is a 224...hmm ducar and tillitson have some input in this.

I know exactly what you mean.

I often wonder about the amount of CNC components I see on Chinese bikes. Starting from scratch without a foundry, on a small scale, is it actually cheaper to CNC parts vs making molds, castings and then machining those castings? A CNC machine replaces a whole fleet of workers.

I'm not saying this is the case, but I bought Chinese RoxRisers once. They were honest about them being CNC'd as you could clearly see the tool paths. CNC 'd from a casting though 😁

Yea, anything with the handlebars I get all queasy over. Risers Made in China, eep.

Meh, amazon clip ons crash well. My race bike ate 3 or 4 sets

Last edited:
The big brands fueled china for the last 70yrs. Certain clones are real close to certain jdm models. Wonder why? But I would take a horizontal clone places that only a tw200 or a coleman might venture. It is not the orgin but the design. Crazy riders over there use their gn125 or cb clones for farming and logging. So in the middle of no where with a half mile of fallen trees..clone all the way. It would be a bad day on a "real" adv bike low on fuel. But I could have many more options on some clones. I could even take the bike apart and tote. But most likely ride around, under or over. I got stuck in briars with 6 foot deep water holes. I just ghost rode the bike off zero speed and used a small stick to ramp the bike air born. As I previously posted the big 4 does not make these types of bikes.....but they did decades ago. My xt225 and tw is as close as it gets to what some clons offer.
My Chinese bike knowledgebase and experience is some what limited to a few ATVs and smallish motorcycles oh and two generators.
The Generators first the 860W two stroke Generator was / IS still a good thing its been very reliable both mechanicaly and electronicaly for over 15 years, used regularly and its only failing is the exhaust shield was spot welded to the mega thin delicate exhaust can and it fell off and i had to braze up the holes with qxy/ acet for fear of desolving the thin can if i tried to weld it.
One other anoyance is the fuel tank cary handle is held on with two screws which leak fuel if you carry it around with the handle and you have to seal it with petra patch to stop it seeping fuel,. Other than this good machine.
Second Generator a 1500Wv GX140 clone , was a turd looked good but was rubish i mean started great got hot never started again, had an intermitent spark issue and in the short time it did run it went all soggy on the piston rings burnt oil like a demon. Re rung it and it cured the oil burning once it got some decent European matched up rings in it, but everything else just terrible it was auctioned off good residence IMO.

ATVs 3 of them a youth size moto roma 100cc two stroke it was briliant decent electrics reliable and even the frame and suspension held up well right down to bearings pivot points etc, i rated that atv.
A 150CC CG clone engine atv with a shaft drive made of cheese YAMOTO, it had very coarse threads into all aloeycasings and was a constant chore to locktite together and loosing a bolt even on a little run up the cows was a distinct possibility. the electrics were typical generic chines kind of generically available if you like, but the wiring harness and some switches were terrible severe oxidization within every connection a constant cause of bad connections causing at worst a breakdown proper or at best a poor connection creating a resistance thus a component fail bulbs especially.
Anothe 150cc cg clone Bashan but chain driven this was better on the casings threads and the screws a better quality alltogether it had cheese sprockets and bearings in the headframe and pivot points made from old stale bread i think, and the electrics again the harrness was junk made my own from a scrap peugeot car and it got a lucas switch off a 1950s british rotorvator, it was ok then kids had it 15 years.
3 bikes a 90cc KAWASATI PW90, was reliable electricaly but smoked with the rubber piston ring deal, i swapped out the whole piston and rings for a yamaha T80 townmte one a perfect fit and it cured it and ran 10+ years with my kids who tried to kill it but it lived forever.
A 150cc ECO busman had rubish electrics again but rewired it all myself the remains of that peugeot wiring loom and apart from a oxodised white death carb once it was faultless for 10+ years.
Curently have a lifan king 125 water cooled cruiser, its an ok engine terrible electrics joke crome parts apart from a rear rack thats superb but probably not china in origin, the suspension is a poor atempt and rear shockers were sesigned for a small jack russel terier to ride not a human being not even a very small light china person sorry its anot bad engine surounded in poor stuff the tank is ok built and acctualy quite heavy gauge steel but litteraly everything else is IMO sub par.
Not one seconds worth of venom to chinese bikes just factual day to day china bike stuff how i experienced it warts and all.

In all fairness to the Chinese in regards to electrical issues mentioned above, the most unreliable bikes I owned were '80's Honda's due to fussy ignition components and shit charging systems.

So maybe they're just cloning '80's Honda tech for now? 🤔

😁

Top Bottom Back Refresh