What's new

Chinese made bikes

I had a Chinese made Pitster XTR250 for just over 3 years and enjoyed riding it.

1689797108809.jpeg

The engine was a Honda 230 clone. I thought it was good value but I did buy it very cheaply as a bankruptcy sell off. It had some good quality components to be fair, like a nice swing arm and decent fully adjustable suspension, but the switchgear was cheaply done, the air filter didn't fit properly and the seat was awful and a nightmare to put back on the bike.

When I first had it I took it into a local dealer as it wouldn't start. I'd cleaned, reset and checked the spark plug, checked everything else I could think of and even stripped and rebuilt the carb. He told me to leave it on my truck and went and got a new spark plug. After fitting it the bike fired up instantly. I was quite surprised and told him I'd cleaned and reset the spark plug. He said that's a waste of time - just fit a new one. Since then I'd always carry a spare spark plug or two to swap as putting in a new plug just worked - I only ever had to do that out in the sticks once. At home I always had a can of 'quick start' handy as well! I found that iridium plugs definitely lasted longer. It was usually difficult to start from cold anyway and I never managed to kick-start it unless it was already warmed up fully. If it would have started reliably like my 14 year old Honda quad does, I likely would have kept it longer.

A friend of mine asked my opinion on Chinese bikes recently as he'd found the price on the CFMoto bikes to be attractive and knew I'd had the Pitster. He was looking at the 800 which basically uses the KTM 790 engine. I told him the engine would most likely be fine but the savings would be on the rest of the bike and I'd always be suspicious of cheap components, poor metal, and so on. You get what you pay for. I'm also not sure I want to support the CCP indirectly but the political aspect is above my pay grade. I might consider a Chinese made Honda because it would be backed by Honda but a Chinese brand? Not so sure - yet.

Pitster now sells bikes branded GPX Moto and they do get some good reviews. If that local dealer I went to carried them I'd take a look and might be tempted but he no longer carries Pitster and has switched to Beta. I guess that tells us something.

Never have, never will. Then you are hardly qualified to comment or did you hear something from someone who heard something from someone
I'm as qualified as anyone on here. Chinese bikes are junk as my local dealer has them and they don't sell Sorry you don't like my opinion but I'm not going to consciously support China in any way

Spent 14 years working in China. Had multiple bikes. The first two bikes I had were Chinese. They were fun but you definitely needed to know how to work on them. The Chang Jiang sidecar was straight out of the 1930's technology when bought new in 2006. Even had wax paper spark plug wires for spark to the flatheads LOL! It was a complete turd but I never failed to have a blast riding all over the place. The second bike was a 2010 Jialing . The Jialing was EFI with Bosch electronics. Much more reliable but still heavy without much handling until I outfitted it with Wilbers suspension front and back. Traded it in on a BMW F800GS in 2015 as I was riding around out in the boonies more back then and wanted a better HP bike for my fat ass. As a side, the BMW was made in Thailand so the cost was much more inline with normal costs here in the USA for that model. Bottom line was the most fun was the biggest POS old CJ750 sidecar. I would not trade those times for anything.

Attachments

• 7HA_7339.JPG
    7HA_7339.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
  • WP_20151216_008.jpg
    WP_20151216_008.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 6
Perfect example of the type of things I get annoyed with, often, with Chinese goods.

Now, you KNOW they are pumping out literal ship loads of little plastic knobs over there. Those little knobs meant to fit on these splined shafts are common as dirt. Yet they grab one of the wrong size and hot glue it in place.

Like, you literally went out of your way and used more resources to end up with a worse product. It's a pretty benign thing, but it just points to the whole, " it's not good, it's good enough" attitude that is stereotypical of their products.

Got hot in my shop and the knob literally melted off of my radio. 🙄 C'mon!

IMG-20230720-WA0010.jpeg

I'm as qualified as anyone on here. Chinese bikes are junk as my local dealer has them and they don't sell Sorry you don't like my opinion but I'm not going to consciously support China in any way
Well I think I'm qualified to comment. I've got a CF MOTO 800MT in the last 18 months I've done over 80000km. As good and reliable and possibly better than any other bike on the market

Well I think I'm qualified to comment. I've got a CF MOTO 800MT in the last 18 months I've done over 80000km. As good and reliable and possibly better than any other bike on the market
I don't care what you have, I will never buy a communist China bike

Never have, never will. Then you are hardly qualified to comment or did you hear something from someone who heard something from someone
I don't have to shoot myself to know guns are dangerous Guess I'm not qualified to talk about shooting my foot since I've never done it

Your political prejudice has nothing to do with the quality of Chinese made bikes
This is true.

Political "prejudice" isn't exactly what's going on, and paints a different picture with a negative connotation.

"omg you're prejudiced against china? "

Not wanting to see support genocide and slavery is more of a morality stance rather than a prejudice.

Your political prejudice has nothing to do with the quality of Chinese made bikes
I don't care if they go 1,000,000 on one oil change and one tank of gas , I will never buy one The Chinese government enslaves their citizens

I find these conversations somewhat amusing at times...:D

Something not selling at your local dealer is proof it's junk?
What about all the stuff you own that has 'Made in China' on it?

:rofl

What about all the stuff you own that has 'Made in China' on itsomet

What about all the stuff you own that has 'Made in China' on it?

:rofl
Something's made in China you don't have to buy Motorcycles are one of them. And in my experience, something not selling usually means it's junk

I seem to remember when I was a kid the "old folks" saying the Japanese stuff junk. Just saying........

Folks were worried that Japanese stuff would be junk, but they quickly proved themselves and earned their reputation.

The difference is, nobody was overly suspicious of China from the start because Japan already proved what was possible. China decided to aim for MASS producing huge amounts of cheap products, cutting corners and trying to rip off folks patents and technology.

They both earned they reputations. China went the wrong way and now they've got to work doubly hard to fix their reputation. And that's nobody's fault but their own.

There is almost nothing you "have to buy" from China.
I heard recently that China has to import like 90% of their food. Their environment is so bad ( lots from really, really bad factory/production techniques) that the land literally can't feed the people anymore. Entire towns who KNOW they are getting cancer from the water, but they literally have no other choice.

And it's a run away train now. People need to eat today and poisoned environments takes decades or centuries to clean up. And we keep feeding the beast because "look how cheap this is on ebay!"

I heard recently that China has to import like 90% of their food. Their environment is so bad ( lots from really, really bad factory/production techniques) that the land literally can't feed the people anymore. Entire towns who KNOW they are getting cancer from the water, but they literally have no other choice.

And it's a run away train now. People need to eat today and poisoned environments takes decades or centuries to clean up. And we keep feeding the beast because "look how cheap this is on ebay!"
How does that relate to what I said? :dunno

Top Bottom Back Refresh