What's new

Chinese made bikes

Are they having an experience equal to what they would have with a Japanese bike?
Or do they put up with a standard of ownership that would be considered laughable by western standards?

Only minor ones..? :augie
Broken cruise control switch and throttle , both replaced quickly under warranty. Something that can happen on any bike and does
Cool,
One bike isn't a thing.

Glad your experience is positive. Only about a million to go to deserve any respect.
The way they are selling around the world and now in the US probably wont be long

Broken cruise control switch and throttle , both replaced quickly under warranty. Something that can happen on any bike and does

I wasn't the least bit impressed when my RZ350 ate a throttle cable back in the '80s and I've never experienced that or any other throttle malfunction on another bike since. YMMV.

When I go by the local BMW motorcycle dealer I see new looking BMW motos torn apart in the repair shop. See the photos of thousands of Chinese bikes being ridden in China for transportation.

Wow, you saw BMWs in a BMW shop?! :lol2

It may be worth mentioning that you're not likely to see thousands of Chinese bikes being tended to in a BMW shop.

Erhm, I mean except for the BMWs with the Chinese motors, LOL.

Likewise you're not likely to see a lot of BMWs appearing in the multitude of little ratholes that service the local bikes. Unless one has a flat tire maybe.

But "transportation" is an important point. Different folks surely have different standards for permissible defects in appearance, damage, malfunctions, etc.

18 months and 19000 k's on my CFMOTO 650MT.
In that time I've had one oxygen sensor fail at about 6 months of age, in the last few months I've had the ignition coil, a vacuum valve that I think was something to do with the throttle bodies, a battery and new spark plugs fail, everything but the battery replaced under warranty.
I swapped the rear sprocket from a 48 to a 43 tooth, drops the revs a bit at highways speeds, still plenty for overtaking etc., bit better on fuel also I believe.
Considering it was only $7840 AUD ride away with pannier and top box mounts + 12 months rego, pretty good value so far.

That seems like a lot of failures with few Ks.

That would equal roughly 12000 miles. I have owned more than 1 Japanese bike that didn't have that many non consumable parts replaced in a 100000 miles.

That seems like a lot of failures with few Ks.

That would equal roughly 12000 miles. I have owned more than 1 Japanese bike that didn't have that many non consumable parts replaced in a 100000 miles.
I was thinking the same.

My '76 CB750 had 56,000 miles when it came to me. It was close to 100,000 when I got rid of it a few years later. If course, it was a fully mechanic machine, so nothing to really fail. But it was a '76 model.

Put 30,000 miles on my FZ07 with daily floggings. That engine sounded great bouncing on the rev limiter. Only thing it consumed was fuel and tires. Just ticked 13,000 miles on my current Yamaha. Again, tires and fuel. Everything else just works.

18 months and 19000 k's on my CFMOTO 650MT.
In that time I've had one oxygen sensor fail at about 6 months of age, in the last few months I've had the ignition coil, a vacuum valve that I think was something to do with the throttle bodies, a battery and new spark plugs fail, everything but the battery replaced under warranty.
I swapped the rear sprocket from a 48 to a 43 tooth, drops the revs a bit at highways speeds, still plenty for overtaking etc., bit better on fuel also I believe.
Considering it was only $7840 AUD ride away with pannier and top box mounts + 12 months rego, pretty good value so far.
That does seem like a good price.

I'm curious about the spark plugs failing. I've never heard of that. What brand were they?

I was thinking the same.

My '76 CB750 had 56,000 miles when it came to me. It was close to 100,000 when I got rid of it a few years later. If course, it was a fully mechanic machine, so nothing to really fail. But it was a '76 model.

Put 30,000 miles on my FZ07 with daily floggings. That engine sounded great bouncing on the rev limiter. Only thing it consumed was fuel and tires. Just ticked 13,000 miles on my current Yamaha. Again, tires and fuel. Everything else just works.
My point exactly

NGK Iridium plugs, purchased from the dealership I bought the bike from, one failed but they replaced both.
Battery failed while it was at the dealership getting the warranty work done, I had to pay for that.
I've got high mileage Japanese bikes that have given little to no trouble over the years too, and they also came with more than triple the price tag.

I haven't had great luck with iridiums. I've had two bikes that didn't like them and wouldn't idle smooth. I had another bike that ran fine with iridiums, but they wore down just as quickly as the stock plugs so I've yet to see the value in them personally.

I'm not sure what was in it from the factory, the dealership sent me them as replacements for the originals, it appears I just scored a dud.
They mentioned a lot of bikes nowdays are designed to run so lean they eat through plugs pretty quick.
10000 km service they were supposed to be replaced, I did them myself at 18000 km as I discovered the useless local mechanics were too lazy to pull the tank off to replace the plugs and the air filter during the 10k service as they were supposed to.

One of the joys of living in a small country town 7 hours away from the dealership I bought it off I guess.
I found the air filter was filthy, I thought maybe that and the plugs being well past their use by date might have been the reason it started running rough while idling and at low revs in traffic etc., but a clean air filter and new plugs didn't fix it.
Interestingly it never seemed to make any difference to how it performed at highway speeds, but stop starting in traffic and idling it played up.

Yeah, modern engines are definitely hard on plugs. I grew up on old Chevy's that would never use up a set of plugs in it's lifetime, so swapping them like tires is still something I'm getting used to. My FZ07 would start idling rough at about 6,000 miles and it really needed plugs by 8,000. That's the bike I tried iridiums in, but they ended up not lasting longer like the salesman promised 😁

Interesting.

I changed the plugs in my Wing at 50K. They ones that came out didn't look horrible and I noticed no change in performance post change. Same with my ST1300 and Super Tenere changing them at 50K. My T7 which is the same engine as FZ07 has almost 9K on it and runs fine still.

The ones I took out of my 650MT looked ok to me compared to the new ones, maybe I should have tested instead of binning them, as they were recommended to be changed at 10k and the bike had nearly 18k on it I never worried about keeping them.
I thought new ones solved the issue at first but after about 20 to 30 km it started playing up again.
Took it back to the dealership while it's still under warranty and it seems they've sorted it out by testing/replacing what's mentioned above.

Top Bottom Back Refresh