What's new

CRF450L /RL Mega Thread

As much as I’d miss it the KLX would have to go. I don’t think she’d accept my kid’s old TTR125 as an appropriate sacrifice. :D
Not a bad choice. There's nothing the KLX can do in which the CRF450L is lacking. Nothing. At. All. And if your experience is anything like mine, riding the CRF450L is going to make you all that much better on your CRF250X.

My wife gave me her blessing this weekend to get a 450 on the condition that it replaces a bike and not further builds my collection! :rogue
That's exactly what my wife told me. The deal was there for the CRF450L. I could have bought it and sold something but my wife probably feared that I'd buy the bike and then never sell anything. So I traded in my XT250. I know I could have sold my XT250 outright on Facebook marketplace or something and made more than I got in trade, but I had to do what I had to do. No, I have no regrets.

That's exactly what my wife told me. The deal was there for the CRF450L. I could have bought it and sold something but my wife probably feared that I'd buy the bike and then never sell anything. So I traded in my XT250. I know I could have sold my XT250 outright on Facebook marketplace or something and made more than I got in trade, but I had to do what I had to do. No, I have no regrets.
What mods does your 450L have? It'll always be heavier than the 250rx, but gearing, plush suspension, gentle low rpm torque, and a hydraulic clutch (conversion) can be a good equalizer.

My friend has a 450rx, and while it's much lighter, and a bit faster, he can't shake me in singletrack

What mods does your 450L have? It'll always be heavier than the 250rx, but gearing, plush suspension, gentle low rpm torque, and a hydraulic clutch (conversion) can be a good equalizer.

My friend has a 450rx, and while it's much lighter, and a bit faster, he can't shake me in singletrack
Right now, my 450L is stock. All it's got is hand guards, the Seat Concepts seat, and I've swapped out the stock front tire for a Shinko MX216. I have an MX216 to put on the back but haven't gotten around to it (I'd rather ride than wrench).

For me, it's probably a matter of familiarity. I only took tentative steps off road just a little more than a year ago. At first, it was with an XT250 and a KLX300. At first I was faster on the XT250, the slower bike. But it was lower to the ground, a bit lighter, had considerably more mellow power, all making it less intimidating. With time, I got better and was able to exploit some of the KLX300's advantages. And then when I got the CRF250RX, which absolutely smokes the XT and KLX, I was slower on it than I was on either the KLX or XT. But I'm way faster now on the CRF250RX than I ever was on the KLX300 or XT250. I've recently become much more comfortable on the CRF250RX and am no longer so intimidated by it. Right now I'm really intimidated by the CRF450L. I'm sure with time that I'll become comfortable with it.

No matter how comfortable I get on the CRF450L, I think on the property I usually ride at I'll probably always be faster on the CRF250RX than the CRF450L. It is really tight, you complete one turn to start the next. So there's no real opportunity to use the extra power of the larger engine. You don't really get the opportunity to catch up on straights because there really aren't many. So a lighter bike that's able to carry more momentum through the turns wins.

I'm really looking forward to this weekend. I'll be going out to West Texas, to the desert, riding on wider, more open trails. I'm planning to take both the CRFs with me to try them both in this sort of terrain. What I'm going to do is try to avoid all the technical, rocky, hard enduro stuff, and focus on the open, flowy stuff. In that environment, the CRF450L may be the one to be on.

Right now, my 450L is stock. All it's got is hand guards, the Seat Concepts seat, and I've swapped out the stock front tire for a Shinko MX216. I have an MX216 to put on the back but haven't gotten around to it (I'd rather ride than wrench).

For me, it's probably a matter of familiarity. I only took tentative steps off road just a little more than a year ago. At first, it was with an XT250 and a KLX300. At first I was faster on the XT250, the slower bike. But it was lower to the ground, a bit lighter, had considerably more mellow power, all making it less intimidating. With time, I got better and was able to exploit some of the KLX300's advantages. And then when I got the CRF250RX, which absolutely smokes the XT and KLX, I was slower on it than I was on either the KLX or XT. But I'm way faster now on the CRF250RX than I ever was on the KLX300 or XT250. I've recently become much more comfortable on the CRF250RX and am no longer so intimidated by it. Right now I'm really intimidated by the CRF450L. I'm sure with time that I'll become comfortable with it.

No matter how comfortable I get on the CRF450L, I think on the property I usually ride at I'll probably always be faster on the CRF250RX than the CRF450L. It is really tight, you complete one turn to start the next. So there's no real opportunity to use the extra power of the larger engine. You don't really get the opportunity to catch up on straights because there really aren't many. So a lighter bike that's able to carry more momentum through the turns wins.

I'm really looking forward to this weekend. I'll be going out to West Texas, to the desert, riding on wider, more open trails. I'm planning to take both the CRFs with me to try them both in this sort of terrain. What I'm going to do is try to avoid all the technical, rocky, hard enduro stuff, and focus on the open, flowy stuff. In that environment, the CRF450L may be the one to be on.
Some of the best money you can spend on a CRF 450L is a JD Tuner. It's always going to be harder to manhandle the extra weight and reciprocating mass of the 450 through tight single track. But I wouldn't avoid rocks, because the Elle soaks them up with aplomb. As you become more comfortable with the bike, you'll enjoy "sending" it over rocks and roots. It really is a brilliant chassis (as is your 250RX of course)

Just so we're clear, both bikes aren't particularly new rider friendly. These are serious race bikes. The fact that you're now feeling comfortable on the CRF250RX speaks volumes about how far your riding has progressed. You should feel proud of yourself. Keep riding 2x per week, and you will become extremely skilled. Not to mention fit.

Enjoy the journey

I pulled the parts list for the 2023 450RL.
Unique Part Numbers: 1,149
Total Part Count: 1,790
Total Cost (@MSRP): $56,691.85

I finally got around to replacing the stock rear tire.

I teach math, 7th grade through 12th grade, at an orphanage. On the first day of school this year I asked the seventh graders if any of them knew what they want to be as an adult. One of my students said his dream is to work at a tire shop and change tires. I never thought I’d hear that from a seventh grader. Most of them say they’re gonna play for the NBA or NFL or be rappers, singers, underwear models, or social influencers. Anyway, I asked that kid if he’d ever changed a motorcycle tire or seen it done. He said no. I told him that if he wanted, he could help me change a motorcycle tire. He’s been bugging me at least twice a week “are we changing the motorcycle tire today?”

Today I told that kid “Guess what we’re doing today”, and he said “Math?”. I said, “After the math.” His eyes lit up and he asked “Motorcycle tires?”

He was disappointed when it was only the rear tire. I coached him and he changed the tire. We didn’t do a rim lock, but he successfully changed a rear tire with a tube on his first ever try. No pinched tube. I’m super proud of that kid. He asked if I’d bring in more tires the week after Thanksgiving. I told him no offense, but I hoped I’d have no reason to change any more tires before the end of the school year. If he’s still around next time I need tires changed, I know who I’m taking them to.

He did scratch the wheels a bit and I told him no problem; that’s what black fingernail polish is for.

89124A49-1122-4C7F-B97E-FF6648F929F5.jpeg

7C9FBB84-38E9-45A5-85EE-5854F492AFC8.jpeg

I teach math, 7th grade through 12th grade, at an orphanage. On the first day of school this year I asked the seventh graders if any of them knew what they want to be as an adult. One of my students said his dream is to work at a tire shop and change tires. I never thought I’d hear that from a seventh grader. Most of them say they’re gonna play for the NBA or NFL or be rappers, singers, underwear models, or social influencers. Anyway, I asked that kid if he’d ever changed a motorcycle tire or seen it done. He said no. I told him that if he wanted, he could help me change a motorcycle tire. He’s been bugging me at least twice a week “are we changing the motorcycle tire today?”

Today I told that kid “Guess what we’re doing today”, and he said “Math?”. I said, “After the math.” His eyes lit up and he asked “Motorcycle tires?”

He was disappointed when it was only the rear tire. I coached him and he changed the tire. We didn’t do a rim lock, but he successfully changed a rear tire with a tube on his first ever try. No pinched tube. I’m super proud of that kid. He asked if I’d bring in more tires the week after Thanksgiving. I told him no offense, but I hoped I’d have no reason to change any more tires before the end of the school year. If he’s still around next time I need tires changed, I know who I’m taking them to.

He did scratch the wheels a bit and I told him no problem; that’s what black fingernail polish is for.

That is the nicest story I’ve heard in a while. Thanks for sharing it. :thumb

That's a great story. That kid would probably love doing anything like that from changing oil to adjusting the chain.

Every year I work with a group called Kentucky Changers. We use kids to do home repair for low income and elderly people like decks and wheelchair ramps.

At the beginning of the week most of them cannot read a tape measure. By the end of the week they are leading the project, measuring, cutting and fastening.
Here's the project my crew did last summer

20220630_073012.jpg
It's amazing what kids can do with a little guidance and direction.

I know any aftermarket ECU will be an improvement over stock but I’m thinking of ordering the AiM. John T. Young recently put out a video showing the difference between them in slow speed stuff right off idle. From that video it appears that the AiM has the characteristics that would be most important to me. On the Taco Moto website, they market it with five different maps, with maps four and five for stock exhaust. I plan on keeping the stock exhaust because I like it’s relative silence and I’m not looking for ultimate performance at the moment, just easier ride ability.

My thought is to get the switch for two maps. Map four is the high speed racing map for stock exhaust and map five is the enduro/single track map for stock exhaust. I’m thinking I could switch to map four for street riding and forest roads and general dual sport use and map five for tight single track. In the future, if I choose to chase outright performance, I could get the switch with all the maps and I suppose I’d have to get the ECU set up for that at the time. I suppose I could go ahead and get that now and have it available for the future if some day I want it and do end up getting an aftermarket exhaust, but the only reason I could see for me to get the exhaust would be weight savings. I really do like the silence of the stock exhaust. I don’t know if the weight savings would be worth the extra cost in money and noise.

I’ve had the mind to just keep the stock ECU but the John T. Young video was pretty convincing and I do have the funds available at the moment (which will quickly vanish to other things if I don’t hurry up and spend them). I’m giving myself about twelve hours to have my mind changed. If there’s any fault in my logic, let me know. My decision, right now, is the AiM and the two map switch for stock exhaust.

Last edited:
Very cool!

I'd like to know what attracted him to tire work. It's definitely a trade with a future if he wants to be the one tire guy in town that isn't a fuckwit.
The kid told me that he has an uncle who has a tire shop and mobile tire repair truck and that he’s helped his uncle change everything from small car tires to 18-wheeler tires in the shop and on the side of the road. And it’s absolutely clear that he’s had experience changing tires with levers in addition to using the machines.

He got great news Thursday night. Yesterday he told me that he has family that is taking him this week for the Thanksgiving break and that if all goes well, they will get official custody of him by Christmas and he will no longer be a ward of the state. I hope it works out for him and that he’s able to keep in touch with his uncle who’s obviously a positive influence in his life. Maybe he can convince his uncle into investing some money into some motorcycle tire changing equipment and he can work for him doing the motorcycle stuff. If all does work out this week and he does get discharged to family, I’m going to give him some motorcycle tire changing levers as a parting gift.

The kid told me that he has an uncle who has a tire shop and mobile tire repair truck and that he’s helped his uncle change everything from small car tires to 18-wheeler tires in the shop and on the side of the road. And it’s absolutely clear that he’s had experience changing tires with levers in addition to using the machines.

He got great news Thursday night. Yesterday he told me that he has family that is taking him this week for the Thanksgiving break and that if all goes well, they will get official custody of him by Christmas and he will no longer be a ward of the state. I hope it works out for him and that he’s able to keep in touch with his uncle who’s obviously a positive influence in his life. Maybe he can convince his uncle into investing some money into some motorcycle tire changing equipment and he can work for him doing the motorcycle stuff. If all does work out this week and he does get discharged to family, I’m going to give him some motorcycle tire changing levers as a parting gift.
That would be a very good Christmas for him. Hopefully it works out!

Top Bottom Back Refresh