What's new

CRF450L /RL Mega Thread

I used the 450L as the awesome dual sport it is today. I rode 34 miles of backroads to single track, rode 16 miles of single track, and then 34 miles of backroads back home. Using the race mode for the road and enduro mode for single track with the AiM ECU, I had 40 miles on a tank when the low fuel light came on.
AC51C8BA-1ED9-44AF-ACA0-6E306C8A5881.jpeg
0BACA3D9-198E-4754-86FB-83E6771B05F5.jpeg
B906BC6D-6F6B-422F-B4C6-3280FDD21068.jpeg

The temperature has probably dropped twenty degrees (F) since getting back home from riding today. You Canadians and Yankees should keep this weather to yourselves. It’s currently freezing and will be for the next several days. Come on, this is Texas! It’s not supposed to be like this!!

Greyford TX , was 17F at 8am this morning.
We had a high of 63F today when I was riding here in South Texas. When I wrote that post earlier, the sun was still out but it had already dropped to 32F. It's currently 28F with a 13F wind chill. It's supposed to be 17F here tomorrow morning. I've lived in Texas all my life but about ten years when I was in the military and can't remember winters like we've had the last three years. I'm used to grilling in shorts, t-shirt, and sandals on Christmas. This is crazy! But five days of freezing, this time without all the snow, is far better than five months of snow and ice on the ground like I remember from the few years I lived in Wisconsin.

-6F here in central Kentucky this morning with an expected high 5.
20-30 mph wind gust Just to make sure you stay inside.
It's been at least 10 years since we've had weather this cold.
Tomorrow doesn't look much different.

-6F here in central Kentucky this morning with an expected high 5.
20-30 mph wind gust Just to make sure you stay inside.
It's been at least 10 years since we've had weather this cold.
Tomorrow doesn't look much different.
Same here in SW Va. 0 degrees w/o wind at 5 pm tonight. I changed the oil in the L and there its sits cold and shiverring!

AI is awesome.

" write a limrick about a CRF450 ELLE dirt bike "

There once was a CRF450 ELLE,
A dirt bike that was built quite well,
With its power and speed,
It could easily lead,
In any off-road race, it would excel.

Well done.

Now have it create an image of Elle Macpherson riding an L.
I'm all aboot wordz...

There once was a model named Elle
Who rode on a CRF450 so well
Through dirt and rocks she'd fly
With a twinkle in her eye
And leave all the boys in her dust, to dwell.

Last edited:
Anyone looking for R/L JD tuner ?

there is one for sale at TT for $150 used

Hacked the factory tail down dramatically. Top notch work, too—it’s only a little crooked, and one hole is off by 1/8” or so. It hasn’t seen a ride yet to see if how bad it’s affected by vibrations. But if it works, I can now use my handy dandy paddock stand/dolly. The factory tail setup hung so low I couldn’t get the stand in there, and it’s annoyed me every time I needed to work on the bike. I really did hate to chop up a piece of over-engineering as nice as that factory tail. But I wasn’t crazy about the design of most of the aftermarket ones, and I thought I might as well try the free option first. I should’ve thought to get a side pic as well.

9DA687A5-95F1-49FF-A5B9-16AF0E4529FF.jpeg

I got tired of all the red dirt stains on my engine accumilated over 4 years, and tried a few cleaners until I found one that worked well

this commercial cleaner, diluted to 50/50 , worked really well, and now the Alum engine is back to clean

1675256835457.png

Hacked the factory tail down dramatically. Top notch work, too—it’s only a little crooked, and one hole is off by 1/8” or so. It hasn’t seen a ride yet to see if how bad it’s affected by vibrations. But if it works, I can now use my handy dandy paddock stand/dolly. The factory tail setup hung so low I couldn’t get the stand in there, and it’s annoyed me every time I needed to work on the bike. I really did hate to chop up a piece of over-engineering as nice as that factory tail. But I wasn’t crazy about the design of most of the aftermarket ones, and I thought I might as well try the free option first. I should’ve thought to get a side pic as well.

9DA687A5-95F1-49FF-A5B9-16AF0E4529FF.jpeg
No need for the side picture. What we need is details on that stand. Do the caster wheels allow it to roll front to back as well as side to side? That is interesting.

No need for the side picture. What we need is details on that stand. Do the caster wheels allow it to roll front to back as well as side to side? That is interesting.
Yes, totally omnidirectional. Lemme see what pics I have on that.

These little rigid caster wheels (?) are the shit. Once the bike is up on this, it’s kind of a zero turn. As in, it can easily pivot on the front wheel, but is held vertically.
E51A55E0-8F62-4550-88A8-EF5D0142E69D.jpeg

Reactions: MVI
Yep. I special ordered mine from the Australian manufacturer. Then figured out they were always available from Amazon. Neater than hell, though. It would take some thought to make room for normal swivel casters. These you just mount to a normal axle, and they caster on their own. Very cool wheels. I’m sure they don’t work with much weight, but for the ass end of a light moto they work perfect.

Reactions: MVI
Ended up embracing my talent shortage and adding a Rekluse. That thing really is a cheat code at low speed. Assuming my wife ends up liking the 300LS I put a deposit on, that will be the first thing it gets.

I also ended up ordering an FMF Q4. Then I can put on an aftermarket exhaust tune, and see if that actually cures the one on/off throttle range I still have at about 3500 rpm.

Top Bottom Back Refresh