What's new

Kawasaki KLX250 / KLX300 Thread

DJ_MI, You're welcome to try my CRF450L if you're ever in Texas. Or if this summer I go up north..... We have family and friends in Wisconsin and that's a FAR better place to spend the summer than Hell's back doorstep (TX in the summer). I'm guessing the MI stands for Michigan?

A trip up north to do the TWAT and then the UP would be a great way to spend summer vacation. If, by this summer, you're still on the KLX300 but curious about the CRF450L, and I just happen to be in the general vicinity, we could meet up, swap bikes for a bit, and let you see if the CRF450L is for you.

Something tells me you're probably not going to be riding very much for a while pretty soon. Are y'all under snow yet?

Thanks for the offer! :thumb

If you do make it to the UP I might be able to meet up with you. The riding up there is amazing. I made it up there last year and this year. I'm sure I'll be back next year too.

Obviously I can't ride as much in the winter but I don't think I went more than a week last winter without riding. It's tough for sure but I'll take what I can get.

2022-02-06 17.36.42.jpg
SNOW - 2022-02-26 17.43.23-1.jpg
SnowYates.jpg

^^^^^^^

That’s nuckin’ futs!!!

As much as I love to ride, for the three winters I lived in Wisconsin, it was a struggle for this thin-blooded southern boy to survive. You’re far tougher than I’d ever claim to be

Snow is difficult to ride in. I find that riding snow in single track makes me hot and sweaty no matter how cold it is outside. Of course once I get on the FSR to get back to the truck, I freeze my ass off
20220412_220608.jpg

That sure looks like fun! I haven't worked up the courage yet to try trail riding in the snow.

I prefer the home field advantage of my parking lot where I know what's under the snow and I don't have far to go if I break the bike or myself.
2022-02-02 23.29.58.jpg

My kid's 250F. And he thought we were storing it at work for "safe keeping". :imaposer He actually gave me permission to ride it (he bought it with his own money) just so I fixed anything I broke.
2022-02-02 23.21.09.jpg

2022-02-02 23.21.05.jpg

If by “tougher” you mean dumber then you’re probably right. :lol2

There's a fine line between hardcore and dumb a$$ :lol3. Here in the PNW when it's 37F and raining you don't want to stop for more than 5 or 10 minutes before the misery sets in. Hit the tight trails, it'll warm you up! The older I get the less I like being cold and wet and as for snow, it belongs in the mountains! :beer

There's a fine line between hardcore and dumb a$$ :lol3. Here in the PNW when it's 37F and raining you don't want to stop for more than 5 or 10 minutes before the misery sets in. Hit the tight trails, it'll warm you up! The older I get the less I like being cold and wet and as for snow, it belongs in the mountains! :beer

I think I'm more of a hardcore dumb ass. :lol2

How far away from home are your closest trails?

I think I'm more of a hardcore dumb ass. :lol2

How far away from home are your closest trails?
I'm 7 miles from the staging area. I ride an old battle scarred KTM 525EXC. That old big bore of bottomless torque is still doable for me at just shy of 59. I just picked up a WR250R dualsport that needs a little work, I doubt it will replace the 525.
The WR is more of an addition to the stable. Segue: DJ, get that Honda 450L-RL! Once you go up it's hard to go down. Lowend torque is everything! Big bore bikes have certain trail riding qualities unto themselves, even in the tight stuff, plus they have the legs to cruise down the road.

Last edited:
I'm 7 miles from the staging area. I ride an old battle scarred KTM 525EXC. That old big bore of bottomless torque is still doable for me at just shy of 59. I just picked up a WR250R dualsport that needs a little work, I doubt it will replace the 525.
The WR is more of an addition to the stable. Segue: DJ, get that Honda 450L-RL! Once you go up it's hard to go down. Lowend torque is everything! Big bore bikes have certain trail riding qualities unto themselves, even in the tight stuff, plus they have the legs to cruise down the road.
That's cool that you can ride so close to home. We have a lot of trails here in MI but they start about 2 hours north of here.

Congrats on the WRR! Everyone seems to love them. What's your plan for it?

Yeah, I'm probably going to get the RL. I like the idea of having a bike I can feel more "married to". Kind of like the 250X I got earlier this year. To me it's worth the time and money to repair, upgrade and maintain it since for more serious trail riding I don't think I'll ever need anything more. Likewise I feel that the RL is such a versatile and capable dual sport that I can be commited to for a long time.

That's cool that you can ride so close to home. We have a lot of trails here in MI but they start about 2 hours north of here.

Congrats on the WRR! Everyone seems to love them. What's your plan for it?

Yeah, I'm probably going to get the RL. I like the idea of having a bike I can feel more "married to". Kind of like the 250X I got earlier this year. To me it's worth the time and money to repair, upgrade and maintain it since for more serious trail riding I don't think I'll ever need anything more. Likewise I feel that the RL is such a versatile and capable dual sport that I can be commited to for a long time.

DJ, thanks. I wanted a proper small dual sport for the local area and good mpg for running around on. I was lazer focused on getting a KLX300 having previously owned a carbed KLX250S ten years ago. That lesson was cemented this Summer after putting 1500 miles on my wife's little Honda 110 elite scooter. I had more fun on that thing than my street bike. My 525 has a plate and is set up for harder dirt riding, it's no fun on the road, can't properly secure it while running errands etc. I love the big bore wide ratio woods bikes for trail riding (torque). I don't race so all that reciprocating mass doesn't bother me on the tight trails, I just ride it, pick a line and ride as smooth as I can. Albeit a 250 is easier to ride in that stuff.

The WR250R popped up needing head work. I shipped the head off to a machine shop and am currently gathering the needed parts to put it back together and closer to stock form. The best way to get more power out of a 250 is sell it and buy a 450! :lol3 Everything I've read about the WRR is that they are rev happy and make power higher up. It's going to take a mental shift to get used to that style of riding. Like anything you learn to ride the bike that you currently own and make the most of it.

Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving week

Last edited:
DJ, thanks. I wanted a proper small dual sport for the local area and good mpg for running around on. I was lazer focused on getting a KLX300 having previously owned a carbed KLX250S ten years ago. That lesson was cemented this Summer after putting 1500 miles on my wife's little Honda 110 elite scooter. I had more fun on that thing than my street bike. My 525 has a plate and is set up for harder dirt riding, it's no fun on the road, can't properly secure it while running errands etc. I love the big bore wide ratio woods bikes for trail riding (torque). I don't race so all that reciprocating mass doesn't bother me on the tight trails, I just ride it, pick a line and ride as smooth as I can. Albeit a 250 is easier to ride in that stuff.

The WR250R popped up needing head work. I shipped the head off to a machine shop and am currently gathering the needed parts to put it back together and closer to stock form. The best way to get more power out of a 250 is sell it and buy a 450! :lol3 Everything I've read about the WRR is that they are rev happy and make power higher up. It's going to take a mental shift to get used to that style of riding. Like anything you learn to ride the bike that you currently own and make the most of it.

Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving week
Very cool! Any pics of the WRR?

Hopefully this is going to be my next bike, as far as dualsports I have owned a Yamaha DT 250, Honda XL600 and a DR650. I spent a lot of time on my buddies DRZ400 and tested many others.
Really looking forward to it but need to sell the DL1000 and the KZ1000P first

Very cool! Any pics of the WRR?
I don't want to distract too much from the KLX thread, buuut since you asked... :D Here is her current condition :lol3
IMG_20221029_123220.jpg

My winter project. I came across this WR with the KLX3 seriously on my mind. The head is being rebuilt, cylinder & piston measures good, and will install a fresh set of rings since I'm in this deep.

Now back to KLX300's!

Last edited:
I’ve got a brand new 13 tooth front sprocket that I never got around to putting on my KLX300 before I traded it in if anyone is interested. Send me a pm and it’s yours.

A446CF0D-0FA9-4876-8EDB-2B6458DDC144.jpeg
Very generous of you!

That’s the same sprocket I put on my bike. It’s a great improvement.

Here's a couple of pictures of my 98 KLX300. It spent most of its early years as an ice bike. A few years back my grandson took an interest in riding and I put this one back in the dirt so I could go riding with him. He quickly out grew his PW50, PW80 and is currently riding a KLX110. I got us a membership at a local moto track, and we are both enjoying it very much. We gave his KLX some new body work and graphics and decided that my 300 could use a freshen up as well. We both enjoyed the fun winter project.

Before picture.
i-2PnwVWq-XL.jpg

After picture.
i-SfNVV2P-XL.jpg

My grandson Ryan at the track last year. This is what life's all about right here!
i-Q66PTJg-XL.jpg

I re-joined the thumper crowd today by buying a lightly used 2021 KLX300 with 1305 miles showing. It came with a small rear rack and a set of Bark Busters installed by the previous owner. It will complement my Super Tenere and 1250 GS to be my main back road exploring motorcycle.
6AA02E6C-C85E-4C0D-9740-86614BF86276.jpeg

Top Bottom Back Refresh