What's new

- Week Our rides today.

I went to Bikes and Breakfast in New Jersey today ... some very nice vintage bikes in attendance. Here's one. Owned by the founder of B&B, btw.

IMG_0548.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    755.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    710.4 KB · Views: 8
We are in the Black Hills for a couple months - here to enjoy riding the great roads in this area. This morning...

THIS ALMOST NEVER HAPPENS! I got out early on the CTX today, to beat the heat. It gave me the chance to ride Iron Mountain Road with NO TRAFFIC! What a treat! I was planning on taking a few still photos, but seeing no traffic on the way to IMR, I decided to do a "one take - no edits" video of the northern half of this great riding road. All the fun stuff: hairpin curves, tunnels, pigtail bridges, splits, the occasional view of Mt Rushmore... but mostly: some great riding! Let me know what you think, and thanks for riding along!

We are in the Black Hills for a couple months - here to enjoy riding the great roads in this area. This morning...

THIS ALMOST NEVER HAPPENS! I got out early on the CTX today, to beat the heat. It gave me the chance to ride Iron Mountain Road with NO TRAFFIC! What a treat! I was planning on taking a few still photos, but seeing no traffic on the way to IMR, I decided to do a "one take - no edits" video of the northern half of this great riding road. All the fun stuff: hairpin curves, tunnels, pigtail bridges, splits, the occasional view of Mt Rushmore... but mostly: some great riding! Let me know what you think, and thanks for riding along!

Cool video. I am definitely looking forward to riding Iron Mountain Road next year. I wish I could have made it this year. I think I'll be sure to ride it at least once real early in the morning. I have become spoiled because so many of my favorite roads here in the South East have far less traffic than what I saw in your video.

Cool video. I am definitely looking forward to riding Iron Mountain Road next year. I wish I could have made it this year. I think I'll be sure to ride it at least once real early in the morning. I have become spoiled because so many of my favorite roads here in the South East have far less traffic than what I saw in your video.
Sorry you missed the Black Hills this year, Win. Trust your wife is recovering nicely and will be able to enjoy the Hills with you next year. You should plan to experience both Iron Mountain Road and the Needles Highway from both directions; and early morning is surely preferable from a traffic standpoint. As a rider famIliar with the roads of Southern Appalachia you will find the Black Hills to be similar yet refreshingly unique. About as close to riding Nirvana as it gets.

Sorry you missed the Black Hills this year, Win. Trust your wife is recovering nicely and will be able to enjoy the Hills with you next year. You should plan to experience both Iron Mountain Road and the Needles Highway from both directions; and early morning is surely preferable from a traffic standpoint. As a rider famIliar with the roads of Southern Appalachia you will find the Black Hills to be similar yet refreshingly unique. About as close to riding Nirvana as it gets.
Thanks Cliff, she is recovering pretty well after a couple of rough days. I certainly hope we can ride the Black Hills next year. Since we won't have a wedding to go to we should be able to spend more than a couple of days there.

Last edited:
Yesterday was checking the bikes over for our upcoming WV ( Next Week !!) and my '98 1100gs had metal flakes in the final drive. Swapped it out this morning with my spare FD and took a 100 mile shakedown loop. Stopped about 40 miles south to get gas. There was 2 guys there from Canada, one was on a 2021 GSA . Was the 1st one I have seen, I live in the sticks 200 miles to the nearest BMW dealer so I don't see the new stuff. That was a nice bike , put my poor ole '98 gs to shame. :dirtdog As far as I know my son and I are the only guys in our area riding BMW's.

The spare FD seems good , no leaks, no metal in oil. Good Day!!

My son and I are Super Excited about our upcoming ride!!

Yesterday, I did a ride in the Winding Stair Mountains of the Ouachita National Forest of southeastern Oklahoma. A couple years ago, I had tried to find a small waterfall on the Poteau River. The trail was so rutted, wet, and muddy that I turned back. We've had a few weeks of drought this summer, so I thought I'd try again. It turned out to be comparatively easy this time with the exception of the 98° heat. But, since we haven't had much rain, the river didn't have much flow.

LkSxdcY.jpg

On the trail. Several trees down.

GLklbDz.jpg

vNGy1C9.jpg

Found it.

K3ppA8n.jpg

69CBq7r.jpg

Yes, that is sweat running down my face.

Qu4mZ8Z.jpg

I rode back into the slightly more civilized area and found some swimming and fishing holes.

tdOlzpV.jpg

K04aLz2.jpg

Ts0KCyx.jpg

a01A4oE.jpg

niu9isq.jpg

r3QlYr4.jpg

Only 348 more miles to Kansas City.

8HY1C0G.jpg

Well done.

What camera and editing software did you use? I'm going to buy a 360 cam, but I'm waiting to see what GoPro releases as an update for the MAX this year.
Thanks Zoomer. It's the Insta360 One X2. The editing was done both with the proprietary software (selecting points of view) and with After Effects (the intro/outro, some adjustments and effects). They've just come out with a new, more expensive, more sophisticated one, so prices may have dropped. The camera is thin and pocketable ... it's easy to turn on/off if mounted within reach, too. It's also fairly water resistant (I forget the specs, but I don't sweat it if rain comes along).

I have a GoPro 9 that I usually have on a chin bar mount, and adding a 360 cam is a natural progression. Even a drone can't really duplicate the utility of a 360 cam when it comes to ease of use and perspective.
I've been so tempted to get into drones, for years. But they can't be flown in NYC, and there many restricted areas outside of the city. Using them on a ride means stopping to pull it out and set it up. On the other hand, the camera can be in place while riding and easily turned on, and then you have 360˚ of choices for points of view.

The local Vintage club here does breakfast at the same place every Saturday morning. It's been a few years since I went so I decided it was time to go again this morning. I got there early. No vintage bikes but this car certainly qualifies as vintage:

P7230012.JPG

P7230013.JPG

Two Italian bikes showed up. Not vintage but certainly cool.

P7230014.JPG

I went in for breakfast. There were over 20 people and they made a long table for us as. After some food and conversation it was time for more tire kicking outside.

A couple of actual vintage bikes:

P7230015.JPG

Another shot of the MV Augusta just because:

P7230016.JPG

I've never seen that model MV before, very sexy, but given a choice I would love to own the RD.
Just something about a 2smoker that moves my inner soul......Ahhh the smell of Castrol R
😁

Thanks for sharing your adventures and ride reports

I've never seen that model MV before, very sexy, but given a choice I would love to own the RD.
Just something about a 2smoker that moves my inner soul......Ahhh the smell of Castrol R
😁

Thanks for sharing your adventures and ride reports
The rider of the MV made a comment to the effect that it would be far too easy to get a ticket on that bike. I would think it would be frustrating to ride around town although it would be a blast on the right road. The RD, yeah I agree. I'm old enough to remember when that bike was new and I loved it back then and still love it today. As much as I like some vintage bikes I can't see owning one. I'll stick to attending occasional vintage events and just drooling over the bikes:raabia

Top Bottom Back Refresh