What's new

- Week Our rides today.

I went for a short sunset ride this evening.

P8110004 (2).JPG

I think they will be harvesting the corn soon.

P8110005 (2).JPG

Cool clouds.

P8110008 (2).JPG

P8110017 (2).JPG

I was taking a pic of the clouds and got a jet coming out of huntsville Intl.

P8110021 (2).JPG

P8110026 (2).JPG

P8110033 (2).JPG

P8110036 (2).JPG
Nice. My Saturday ride ended at sunset too.

jf0fpQh.jpg

Saturday morning, I rode out to the annual Will Rogers Fly In. It is held every August at the ranch in Oologah, Oklahoma, where Rogers was born. About 100 planes show up to the grass field. It's cool because you can walk out into the field, look at the planes, and talk to the pilots. You can even stand right next to the runway as they take off and land. They also have craft sales, a car show, a classic camper show, food trucks, etc. I've been several times.

sgveJu3.jpg

yEQ2FG6.jpg

Vza7gn1.jpg

YacKYU2.jpg

8hXPqvA.jpg

geeScdN.jpg

02IFMDy.jpg

VmtnzGa.jpg

yIacNer.jpg

y1MDybS.jpg

Bikes get VIP parking, next to the ranch house. Mine's the FJ-09. Cages have to park in the pasture.

wnV3usg.jpg

After the air show, I rode out to the crashed space capsule at Winganon, OK.

RD0L2Dv.jpg

uUrlWcx.jpg

August 27th, Arkansawyer Mark and I had a good ride in his part of the country. We rode Pannell, Old 12 Crossroads, Warloop (both directions), Hurricane Creek, White Rock Mountain, Shores Lake, Rackley Mountain, and Kimes Tower (I had to list all those cool road names.) We ran into a few road closures that we managed to find a way through, rather than backtracking. Those sections were quite a challenge and somewhat exhausting, not something I would do if riding alone. 134 miles total and the weather was excellent.

We met at the Natural Dam Community Center. An old WPA school.

37urxt2.jpg

Pannell Road. This was the toughest of the longer stretches of road.

XQkNEdZ.jpg

White Rock Mountain.

tpjUott.jpg

This one was washed out.

KUW6r3n.jpg

9A6pOVL.jpg

Mark looking for a line through it - couldn't find a suitable one.

Jgsa8P2.jpg

We ended up riding up the side of the mountain and around the wash out. It took us about twenty minutes of scouting routes, moving rocks and logs, and breaking off saplings to make a line. It saved us probably 20+ miles of backtracking though.

QMBtarc.jpg

Made it!

2lRm0vY.jpg

A neat little forest road bridge.

r8SgVjh.jpg

This one was a mudslide.

9LOISMu.jpg

1nBaA6q.jpg

This time, we went down the mountainside, past the slide, and back up. Mark is eye-balling a way down.

TrklO91.jpg

This tree was the last obstacle of the slide. We were able to squeeze under it.

75EDiZJ.jpg

Bee Rock.

PlIeQZ0.jpg

Me in Bee Rock.

t325J9J.jpg

Back on the road.

WwUvBMl.jpg

This guy took his half of the road and most of ours. We were happy to share.

jT6AyLK.jpg

Back down Warloop Road. Won't see any logging trucks here.

qM9skm9.jpg

fclUP8p.jpg

Lee Creek crossing. This was the lowest I've ever seen it. I've been here six times now. Three of those times, it was too deep to cross.

pW2KtS5.jpg

It turned out to be a really fun day.

Last edited:
Saturday, September 17th, I did a ride around the Ft. Gibson and Arkansas River area of northeastern Oklahoma and down to Lake Tenkiller.

The Arkansas just south of Ft. Gibson.

b3ISNyS.jpg

Manard Bayou.

pPxA34V.jpg

The bypassed Manard Bayou Bridge.

TqNBZ4e.jpg

SXe5WQW.jpg

Gruber ORV Area and the Arkansas River Overlook. The last time I rode trails here, I was 27 years old. I hated the rocks so much that I swore I would never ride here again. I just broke my promise, I'm 63 now.

KItDS98.jpg

zDd6T4Q.jpg

Pw6R3QB.jpg

LCL6tbu.jpg

Bypassed and abandoned Old OK Highway 10.

IJM478r.jpg

HHKDAru.jpg

CsqKdM2.jpg

Lake Tenkiller.

2FDDC3H.jpg

Goose tracks.

sj88e4c.jpg

Just in case of emergency.

nyA28C6.jpg

Fishing trail.

G8H48HP.jpg

dERp3Ws.jpg

Just cruising along, I noticed this old, bypassed bridge off in the woods. It's a 1940 WPA bridge. I like finding this kind of stuff.

3QHpcEp.jpg

PhZ5KRi.jpg

IT0HJsC.jpg

L2HDF4K.jpg

I found another rock slab just beyond the replacement bridge.

CY9ozpx.jpg

1qTHEVz.jpg

0ctZTkA.jpg

The former road to the WPA bridge.

Mw3M5Gu.jpg

An elk. I don’t often see these around here.

My4DQn7.jpg

An old, wooden cabin. The tiny house of yesteryear.

KRrKu1p.jpg

I got in 111 miles on this 91° day.

VRGju8X.jpg

You really got around there! How long has OK Highway 10 been out of service?
I don't really know. The army built a big military post a few miles south in 1942. I would guess they replaced the highway then to make it suitable for large truck/military traffic. The old highway is/was very narrow and snaked around and up the side of a small mountain.

A little searching reveals the original road was added to the state highway system in 1924.

Last edited:
August 27th, Arkansawyer Mark and I had a good ride in his part of the country. We rode Pannell, Old 12 Crossroads, Warloop (both directions), Hurricane Creek, White Rock Mountain, Shores Lake, Rackley Mountain, and Kimes Tower (I had to list all those cool road names.) We ran into a few road closures that we managed to find a way through, rather than backtracking. Those sections were quite a challenge and somewhat exhausting, not something I would do if riding alone. 134 miles total and the weather was excellent.

We met at the Natural Dam Community Center. An old WPA school.

37urxt2.jpg

Pannell Road. This was the toughest of the longer stretches of road.

XQkNEdZ.jpg

White Rock Mountain.

tpjUott.jpg

This one was washed out.

KUW6r3n.jpg

9A6pOVL.jpg

Mark looking for a line through it - couldn't find a suitable one.

Jgsa8P2.jpg

We ended up riding up the side of the mountain and around the wash out. It took us about twenty minutes of scouting routes, moving rocks and logs, and breaking off saplings to make a line. It saved us probably 20+ miles of backtracking though.

QMBtarc.jpg

Made it!

2lRm0vY.jpg

A neat little forest road bridge.

r8SgVjh.jpg

This one was a mudslide.

9LOISMu.jpg

1nBaA6q.jpg

This time, we went down the mountainside, past the slide, and back up. Mark is eye-balling a way down.

TrklO91.jpg

This tree was the last obstacle of the slide. We were able to squeeze under it.

75EDiZJ.jpg

Bee Rock.

PlIeQZ0.jpg

Me in Bee Rock.

t325J9J.jpg

Back on the road.

WwUvBMl.jpg

This guy took his half of the road and most of ours. We were happy to share.

jT6AyLK.jpg

Back down Warloop Road. Won't see any logging trucks here.

qM9skm9.jpg

fclUP8p.jpg

Lee Creek crossing. This was the lowest I've ever seen it. I've been here six times now. Three of those times, it was too deep to cross.

pW2KtS5.jpg

It turned out to be a really fun day.
I knew some of it looked familiar and when you said Warloop road I knew for sure. That was/is part of the TAT I rode many moons ago. Is Warloop still a rock strewn, nosedive, OMG, road or has it been fixed a bit?? :lurk

I knew some of it looked familiar and when you said Warloop road I knew for sure. That was/is part of the TAT I rode many moons ago. Is Warloop still a rock strewn, nosedive, OMG, road or has it been fixed a bit?? :lurk
They have signs up now saying "dead end" but it's still open. Someone has done some minor work on it recently and it is slightly improved. Very slightly.

Warloop, December 2021:

OZGNRqQ.jpg

Top Bottom Back Refresh