What's new

The DR650 Thread

Ok let's do a hypothetical question. If DRs ceased to exist, what would you ride instead? KLRs are heavy, XRs are short lived, KTMs need a top end before a DR needs its first oil change ( ok, not really, but almost).
ScreenHunter_1663 Oct. 02 15.37.jpg

/ DR650 is a fine bike and all, but if you cant have it,

get a CRF450L :photog

Last edited:
We'll, if you ever feel the need to wear the "S" t shirt, I could set ya up with a well appointed V Strom. Lol

Ok let's do a hypothetical question. If DRs ceased to exist, what would you ride instead? KLRs are heavy, XRs are short lived, KTMs need a top end before a DR needs its first oil change ( ok, not really, but almost).
KTM RFS bikes. Twice the power of the 650 bikes and well under 300lbs. Engines are damn reliable,too. My '02 520 EXC finally got rings replaced last year.

I'll never have an XR again. Most troublesome thing I've ever owned. Don't know how they developed their bulletproof reputation. I must've gotten the black sheep.

KTM RFS bikes. Twice the power of the 650 bikes and well under 300lbs. Engines are damn reliable,too. My '02 520 EXC finally got rings replaced last year.

I'll never have an XR again. Most troublesome thing I've ever owned. Don't know how they developed their bulletproof reputation. I must've gotten the black sheep.
Had an 05 450exc. I do regret letting that one go.

How'yre bikes holding up? I started mine yesterday for the first time in a couple weeks. Been riding street all summer long.

Saturday I mapped out a shorter trip of ~150 miles with some dirt roads to the beach. get all geared up, go to fire the DR up, cranks twice then click click click. that battery is garbage. that officially makes it the third NAPA battery that is garbage. Ordered a Tusk lithium battery and a lithium tender. see how that switch does.

Reactions: MVI
Usually get 2-3 years out of a yuasa battery. Did put a tusk lithium in the boys DRZ this spring. So far so good and turns it over much faster than the lead acid battery.

Tusk lithium battery installed. bike runs great.

stupid bags though. I've got the NG Adventure bags. the velcro straps are under the seat. the six(?) straps on each bag...total pain in the ass. I'm going to have to look into something else. See what that Tusk system is all about. I hate having to strip the bike bike to to manage all the straps. probably the next big bike purchase.

Tusk bag systems are pretty good for the money. Presently using a giant loop coyote, but I think the great basin may be a better fit on the DR.

Today's ride led me here:

Stopped at Evan's Notch:

20220914_100954.jpg

Made some coffee while I was there:

20220914_100938.jpg

about 250 miles, and what a great day. It go pretty chilled in the mountains with almost like a mist in the air. ended up having to connect my heated visor as it kept fogging up. bike ran perfect. First full day ride on it in a few months, and it definitely is the most ergonomically comfortable of all the bikes. even over 200 miles, I could have ridding another 200 miles. the other bikes after a 100 I need to stretch out a little.

great day.

(video upload for help with someone on DRR)

Top Bottom Back Refresh