What's new

What did you do in your garage today?

that is the sound of an open differential with one wheel chocked spinning all the gears inside.
if you were to unchock the other tire, or lock the electric diff locker it will go away because then the diff gears will spin the way they are supposed to.

:scratch

Yep. Sound from both sides. I chock the driver's, passenger spins and it clicks. Remove the chock, driver's spins, and it clicks. Though, I click the locker and it sounds like it goes away.

Guess that is the next step. And if it is, rebuilding a rear end is out of my league.

This is fantastic. I haven't not had a single issue with any of the vehicles for about a year now.
What do you mean, "click the locker?' Does it have a locker in the diff?

I'm thinking wheel bearing(s). That is a C-clip axle, correct? Bad news is those wear the axle shaft along with the bearing, and you have to replace the shaft when that happens. Good news is that's easier and cheaper to fix than the R&P.

What do you mean, "click the locker?' Does it have a locker in the diff?

I'm thinking wheel bearing(s). That is a C-clip axle, correct? Bad news is those wear the axle shaft along with the bearing, and you have to replace the shaft when that happens. Good news is that's easier and cheaper to fix than the R&P.
e-locker.

its a full floater, so no c-clip- I wouldn't think?

Yanked a tire and looked around the hub. No oil. Not leaking there. THe wheel makes it look like oil, but its just road grime or something. bone dry underneath.

Dropping it off Monday. I'll probably at least have him yank the cover and look. If Bud Light sponsored gear oil comes out, R&R as needed. If not, slap it back together. Hell, he may even just throw it on the rack and be like, yea that's normal. yer good. done deal.

No idea what the shimmy is in the 40s. I just won't drive that speed. :lol2

The motorcycles. Take a seat on the rolling stool, and I'll slap any bike on the rack and do anything to it. No problem at all. I'll rebuild motors, grease triple trees, mount tires. No problem.

Laying on the gravel, on a slope, rust in my eyes, losing sockets in the dirt, throwing thousands at something only for it not to be the case. I think I'm over it. I ordered a radio for the Grand Vitara. I'll knock that out. Sit in the driver's seat and plug in a few wires. Sure. But this whole chasing problems, I think I'm finished.
I'm with you 100% here. Totally down to do anything to a bike, even if it's not mine. But I'm so over working on cages. Normal oil change, rotating tires, etc. type maintenance...no problem. Anything else I dread.

ps - how's the eye doing btw?

ps - how's the eye doing btw?
fine. local place is awesome. he pulled out a...metallic thread I think he said? Happened on a Sunday so I went to the local hospital and it was a joke. Mom has worked side by side with ophthalmologists for decades. The hospital wanted her to come in and treat my eye. So stupid. The actual eye doctor clinic place opened on Monday. They took me right in. Guy there said if there was ever anything in my eye, call the number on the card, wait for the emergency number and call that. its his cell. he'd meet me at the clinic and take care of it free of charge. objects in the eye is nothing to wait on. you call me, and I'll take care of it.

Sprint was cruising well today! I think I trust it enough to actual get a plate on it lol, just finished up a dash/headlight bracket. Welds were acceptable if you only like at it after dark :lol3
Next up I'll be making a little front fairing around the headlights with this metal KN poster I've got and then its just sorting out the little annoyances.

Did I mention she rips? sooooo much torqey power :ricky I think my neighbor likes it almost as much as I do already.
gZAAgAX8pWq_S&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
qVkjsAX-VDP2R&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
RW0lwSvkL-e-d&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
gW05cAX_dEYRa&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
Pe16IAX8aYtrI&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg

Rained out of work today. Bike needs a front tire. Oil change and spark plugs are due also. Been dreading maintenance on this bike because "cast aluminum frame", but holy shit! This is great!

Pull three bolts and the radiator swings down without draining. Valve cover is wide open!

16841710954506565654315941902883.jpg

Rained out of work today. Bike needs a front tire. Oil change and spark plugs are due also. Been dreading maintenance on this bike because "cast aluminum frame", but holy shit! This is great!

Pull three bolts and the radiator swings down without draining. Valve cover is wide open!

16841710954506565654315941902883.jpg
I tell yea, you spend a week on your back in the gravel looking under a truck, a bike up on the rack for an hour is a freaking vacation.

I tell yea, you spend a week on your back in the gravel looking under a truck, a bike up on the rack for an hour is a freaking vacation.
Hell yeah, buddy. If it won't fit on my table I don't want to deal with it 😂

Reactions: MVI
We don't have tornadoes out here on the east coast. We're civilized and do the hurricane thing instead.

For real though, that's crazy that y'all have fence post codes because of tornadoes.

"We can't inspect the rear axle because the brakes are broken."

Just put everything back and I'll fix it.

Looking forward to that bill. Probably a few hundred bucks to yank the tires.

edit: $450 :lol2

Last edited:
We don't have tornadoes out here on the east coast. We're civilized and do the hurricane thing instead.

For real though, that's crazy that y'all have fence post codes because of tornadoes.

I think the post code to metal has more to do with ROT and Termites. Both Common here.

a std 2-3/8 will bend at the ground in 55+mph wind, schedule 80 is best

We use a full 6" Japanese cedar for all our jobs - seems to last the longest.

1684259122263.png

"We can't inspect the rear axle because the brakes are broken."

Just put everything back and I'll fix it.

Looking forward to that bill. Probably a few hundred bucks to yank the tires.

edit: $450 :lol2
What the heck?! Ignore the brakes and fix what I asked. That would piss me off. Don't fix nothing you don't get paid.

Curious how the brakes are "broken". Linings came off the shoes?

What the heck?! Ignore the brakes and fix what I asked. That would piss me off. Don't fix nothing you don't get paid.

Curious how the brakes are "broken". Linings came off the shoes?
I think its the parking brake. The cable was loose and I've snugged it up, but it hasn't been right. It works, but there's a bit of slack in the cable.

I should clarify they did yank the diff cover. All looked fine.

I spent the afternoon not turning wrenches but tinkering with Basecamp and an old Garmin Nuvi 205. I think I've got the basics down but there's a long way to go. I like the idea of turn-by-turn directions when I'm riding somewhere new with new friends I've never ridden with before.

Picked up my truck. $500 later. In the same condition it arrived. So that's neat. Said they think the parking brake is dragging. I'll dig into it after work.

That was a stern reminder of do your own work. Costly mistake on my part.

Yeah I had the universal joint for the driveshaft go on my old truck on a road trip and what would have been a $40 fix at home turned into a $400+ fix in the middle of WV I think. It sucks spending that money

Top Bottom Back Refresh