What's new

What did you do with your trials bike today?

Today I gave my chain a deep cleaning after washing down my bike a little more thoroughly than usual. I was forced to clean the chain after seeing how bad mine was compared to how anallyproperly maintained bikes actually are supposed to look. Turns out that Zep grease remover does a fine job as a bath with a scrub brush and toothbrush. Those wax based chain lubes tend to accumulate over time and need a deep cleaning to get them bright again. I'm going to try the CRC food based lube again that was so highly recommended some years ago.

Amazon product ASIN B0013J1UA6
I also oiled up my kickstarter lever after feeling how smooth Nhuskys was. I realized mine wasn't supposed to feel like that and determined that mine wasn't smooth because I'd let grit get in there. Turns out when it is clean and smooth it will spring back into place.

You obviously did not look too closely at my bike. :imaposer

Ill be sure to save some energy for when you get here.
1655864743818.png

For anyone else thinking of making the trek to the Tryals Shop, working with Mike Komer for a day was both enlightening and exhausting. And honestly it was very inexpensive for the lesson itself, I think well worth the amount of money paid especially for individual instruction. Mike didn't seem to mind that I mostly captured it on my GoPro too so I can go back and relisten to the stream of guidance, I'm sure which I've forgotten 90% of a few days later.

Within a few turns and discussion Mike had assessed my skill level quickly and accurately. The first two hours we basically worked on putting into practice some elementary trials stuff like section strategy, how to walk a section, squatting, knees out more, using less clutch and selecting where front and rear wheels go. We started in a single section with some tight turns, narrow (just over footpeg width) paths, and a tight turn into a few very small logs. We kept doing it until I was mostly nailing it, which is why it took so long! The third hour was specifically at my request to work on tight turns into uphill obstacles, like logs. In this section we also encountered very tight turns between trees onto a steep downhill (use the rear brake more to settle the bike and make it easier to turn), several off-camber turns that required squatting and proper weighting, and then a steep hill climb with a log just after a turn - which I failed multiple times and still never really conquered the fear of hurting myself. Mike said his goal was to stretch my level of comfort slowly, which he did very well. And then we did it all backwards!

Like most events where you travel, it was all the ancillary stuff like lodging, gas money/mileage, food and some parts (springs, levers) purchased that added up. The three day weekend cost me about $1,000 for everything and only $75 was for the training session itself. So I don't think I'll be doing that too often but will try to go again in the future.

Last edited:
For anyone else thinking of making the trek to the Tryals Shop, working with Mike Komer for a day was both enlightening and exhausting. And honestly it was very inexpensive for the lesson itself, I think well worth the amount of money paid especially for individual instruction. Mike didn't seem to mind that I mostly captured it on my GoPro too so I can go back and relisten to the stream of guidance, I'm sure which I've forgotten 90% of a few days later.

Within a few turns and discussion Mike had assessed my skill level quickly and accurately. The first two hours we basically worked on putting into practice some elementary trials stuff like section strategy, how to walk a section, squatting, knees out more, using less clutch and selecting where front and rear wheels go. We started in a single section with some tight turns, narrow (just over footpeg width) paths, and a tight turn into a few very small logs. We kept doing it until I was mostly nailing it, which is why it took so long! The third hour was specifically at my request to work on tight turns into uphill obstacles, like logs. In this section we also encountered very tight turns between trees onto a steep downhill (use the rear brake more to settle the bike and make it easier to turn), several off-camber turns that required squatting and proper weighting, and then a steep hill climb with a log just after a turn - which I failed multiple times and still never really conquered the fear of hurting myself. Mike said his goal was to stretch my level of comfort slowly, which he did very well. And then we did it all backwards!

Like most events where you travel, it was all the ancillary stuff like lodging, gas money/mileage, food and some parts (springs, levers) purchased that added up. The three day weekend cost me about $1,000 for everything and only $75 was for the training session itself. So I don't think I'll be doing that too often but will try to go again in the future.

It was awesome meeting you in person. Same with hdscarbro , and Nhuskys.

Mikes facility is awesome. We camped on his property for 5 days. He was a great host. We got a ton of trials riding and scooter riding in. I never knew there were so many waterfalls in the area.

95FA6EAB-4067-4D0E-98FC-502B020CA3CE.jpeg

It was awesome meeting you in person. Same with hdscarbro , and Nhuskys.

Mikes facility is awesome. We camped on his property for 5 days. He was a great host. We got a ton of trials riding and scooter riding in. I never knew there were so many waterfalls in the area.

95FA6EAB-4067-4D0E-98FC-502B020CA3CE.jpeg
The Glaciers gave us some pretty cool terrain. If you make another, trip we can ride some of the gorges if you would like.

We spent a 3 day weekend at the Mantis Training Center. Most of the weekend was setting sections for our upcoming event. Alex Myers stopped by Sunday to show us a bunch of the tricks of his trade. He had 2 Sherco enduro bikes in his bed, still in their crates. He is going to race Tough Like RORR , I think Will is going to ride the other bike. He is breaking the bikes in for Wade Young and Mario Roman, they are coming here in 6 weeks.

They asked me in the ER if I felt safe at home. :-) I smacked mine into a big dome shaped stream bed rock.

:imaposer I always worry about that with sally, she falls a lot and bruises easily. After a good crash, she will look like an abuse victim. Sometimes it is as some as her calf catching a peg and she will have a 6” black and blue spot.

I rode with Mike at the Tryals Shop. We rode a loop, and then started playing in the last section. It's a man made rock section called Pipeline, after the famous SSDT one. The play section we were riding required a tight 180 turn in the rocks. I stalled and tipped over on the right side of the bike. I was relieved to see that I hadn't bent my brake lever, but as soon as I got it upright.... I realized I broke the clamp on the perch!

Thankfully Mike had a new Braktec spare, and his son Aaron swapped it out for me today while I was working. I can ride tomorrow with the Friday morning crew!

1656641969464.png

Top Bottom Back Refresh