What's new

What did you do with your trials bike today?

I rode my Honda Trail to set Trials sections.
BD9A5A68-2E1A-47E7-AA7B-E3D79DAB4599.jpeg

Is that one of the new ones? How do you like it?

It is, it has surprised me in a bunch of ways. The power is more than I expected. It is very smooth. Moderate trail speeds are too much for it. The muffler and airbox are too wide to stand on the pegs for more than a few min. We have 2 of them. I upgraded the suspension on one, it made a difference but not huge.

That seems like the perfect little rig to have on the back of a camper. As far as I know it’s still unavailable in Canada though….

Whirlwind weekend. The trials event was a huge success. This was our first official 2 day event and we had a huge turnout. 100 riders on Saturday and 80 on Sunday. Trystan Hart, Ryder Leblond, Danny Lewis, Will Myers, Logan Bolopue, and Sam Fastle (and others that I am forgetting) showed up. A huge thank you to all the volunteers we had. We tried to step up trials events a bit. Every rider got a T-shirt, as well as the checkers, additionally the volunteers all got a really nice lunch from the food truck. I really think we could step this up to a national for 2024 or 2025.

Are you going to start doing an around the world/Alaska to Argentina ride like little C90? https://www.youtube.com/user/c90adventures

Ed March is awesome. I was very sad in his last episode, to see him call it quits and ship the bike home.

That was the plan but our 3 day ride around the finger lakes exposed a lot of flaws in the bikes. I am probably going to go back to a WR250R and Sally will have to make a decision on what will work best for her.

Pete has been posting more videos through this week, from our event we put on last weekend. It just finished raining and I am going to head out and ride them when wet, for some slippy condition training.

Last edited:
Beta was running horribly last weekend, loading up, smoking like crazy just generally not happy. Nothing checked out. Nothing had changed. Pulled the carb and checked everything out there. All is clean and well. Put it back together and tried again. Same symptoms. Then I thought hmmm.... Maybe I mixed a really thick batch of fuel on accident? Drain tank, replenish with fresh batch of 80:1 and all seems right again. I suppose I'm lucky that it was (likely) 40:1 and smoking rather than 160:1 and melting itself together...

Beta was running horribly last weekend, loading up, smoking like crazy just generally not happy. Nothing checked out. Nothing had changed. Pulled the carb and checked everything out there. All is clean and well. Put it back together and tried again. Same symptoms. Then I thought hmmm.... Maybe I mixed a really thick batch of fuel on accident? Drain tank, replenish with fresh batch of 80:1 and all seems right again. I suppose I'm lucky that it was (likely) 40:1 and smoking rather than 160:1 and melting itself together...

I have made that mistake in the past (doubling the oil). I now use masking tape to remind me that I added oil to the empty can already.

I have made that mistake in the past (doubling the oil). I now use masking tape to remind me that I added oil to the empty can already.
I usually add oil to the empty can, and then get the gas. Occasionally I get gas and add the oil later. I did get mixed up a few times, so now I have two duct tape tags I stick on..... "oil, no gas" or "gas, no oil". This helps me not confuse the issue!

There was a D4 Trial today, but it was my daughter's birthday celebration. We were doing brunch, so I asked the trial master if I could ride late? She said yes, but I had to enter before the start time. She did my entry for me, so I could just grab my first loop card at the sign up table. Trial started at noon, and I got there at 2pm. I rode one full loop, and then only 3 sections on the second. It was a figure 8 loop that crossed by sections 3 and 8, so this was the easiest place to bail on the second loop. I had to be back home at 4:30 for cake and presents.

Crazy you say? :nortonThe trial was only a half hour from home, so closer than a practice ride at the Tryals Shop. My daughter and her boyfriend wanted to go see some friends at a brewery on Seneca Lake. This was a good way to fill in the gap. It was a little hard to be walking sections for the first time, when all the other riders were on their second and third loops, riding right into the sections. Some checkers wanted you outside the ribbons, when a rider was in the section.

It was nice to ride at least a bit, at a venue I've never ridden. It was a nice trial, with fun sections.

Well this actually took a couple weekends.

I made a wall, stands about waist high. I like to make new stuff for our events in MOTA, I don't like just "throw some markers on it and call it good"
It rides up really good, one of our Experts rode it using a Zap technique that looked really nice and precise.
I used a more "throttle, dump clutch, splatter attempt (not really a splatter) and hope I get up there" approach.

photo of finished product:
20220820_123955.jpg

Video:

"New" rear tire time for the 315R! :D

20220916_160604-L.jpg

The bike was advertised as having "new tires". No necessarily untrue, the rear tire was new. In 2009. :rolleyes Cracked, full of goop, rubber compound of Granite, it has done it's bit for King and Country...

20220917_111954-L.jpg

Got a fresh Michelin take-off from a friend who just went with some X-Lites on his TRS. This'll work until I can get to Albuquerque and get a freshie set of Dunlops. :thumb

20220917_114404-L.jpg

20220917_120745-L.jpg

Good to go for my meager skills!! :lol3

"New" rear tire time for the 315R! :D

20220916_160604-L.jpg

The bike was advertised as having "new tires". No necessarily untrue, the rear tire was new. In 2009. :rolleyes Cracked, full of goop, rubber compound of Granite, it has done it's bit for King and Country...

20220917_111954-L.jpg

Got a fresh Michelin take-off from a friend who just went with some X-Lites on his TRS. This'll work until I can get to Albuquerque and get a freshie set of Dunlops. :thumb

20220917_114404-L.jpg

20220917_120745-L.jpg

Good to go for my meager skills!! :lol3
Are you using that silicone spay in the photo as tire lube? Asking for a friend.....:D

Top Bottom Back Refresh