What's new

CRF450L /RL Mega Thread

Plate. Finally. Now it's a dualspork, not a dirtbike
Screenshot_20220730-002152_Gallery.jpg

Are there pickup tubes for the fuel that rides in the wings? Or has the fuel pump been relocated from between the frame rails?

Z,,,,
Evans I can read description in English,
Lol
They say it has a lift pump in the tank ?
Oops lift pump is ,,,,
Raise front wheel lol
Also come with radiator guards

And u guys wine about me ???
Lol

I've been thinking pretty hard about one of these bikes. I made the mistake of test riding one locally. I knw they're famously corked up and fairly easily uncorked, but the thing just feels so nimble compared to the DRZ.

But of course, it's a pile of money. I'm wanting something I can do local single-track with, and set up as a lightweight motocamping setup like John T. Young. I'm a novice rider, but am gravitationally adept enough that I don't think the 450 would be an arm-ripper.

Plus, I see MVI 's pics of the Alpine Loop. I had no choice but to climb the passes out there at 20mph+ and near WFO to keep my improperly-jetted DRZ breathing, and was super jealous of my buddies' fuel-injected bikes.

Then we'd get on the highway and I'd be a little jealous of the 6th gear, although the difference wasn't as much as I would've thought.

I've been thinking pretty hard about one of these bikes. I made the mistake of test riding one locally. I knw they're famously corked up and fairly easily uncorked, but the thing just feels so nimble compared to the DRZ.

But of course, it's a pile of money. I'm wanting something I can do local single-track with, and set up as a lightweight motocamping setup like John T. Young. I'm a novice rider, but am gravitationally adept enough that I don't think the 450 would be an arm-ripper.

Plus, I see MVI 's pics of the Alpine Loop. I had no choice but to climb the passes out there at 20mph+ and near WFO to keep my improperly-jetted DRZ breathing, and was super jealous of my buddies' fuel-injected bikes.

Then we'd get on the highway and I'd be a little jealous of the 6th gear, although the difference wasn't as much as I would've thought.
I love mine, but full disclosure - it takes 1000 miles before the suspension breaks in, and the engine frees up.

First ride I could see the potential, but figured I was going to be in for a suspension revalve Stat. Turns out it didn't need a revalve, just needed to break in.

Nowadays it feels absolutely goldilocks. It's one of those bikes that needs the sag and clickers set properly, because once it's dialed-in she's truly brilliant.

I bought the JD Tuner before I bought the bike. Makes a world of difference. This isn't some scary 450, it's gentle and progressive.

The suspension and chassis is superior to my much loved KTM 300xc-w. This Honda is a serious bike, but it's docile enough that it won't kill you as you work on your skills.

It's lots of money, but it's a hell of a good value
Screenshot_20220822-234403_Gallery.jpg

Speaking of the Alpine Loop:
I was there last week, 2nd year in a row

20220824_111505.jpg

a little dramatic for what it is, but hey, it is coffee 'o clock

Vortex vs AIM vs GET​

Heck of a video. This guy is on top of his stuff. I mean, it looks like the GET ECU is also un-gettable, but still--awesome info.

I'm glad I got the vortex, and not a GET or AIM.
I really don't see the need for MORE power or a harder hit off idle for how I ride the RL

Mellow Yellow is plenty for me, smooth power delivery

1645307570013.png

Last edited:
I saw the bit about other riders and appreciated all of the effort he put in.

I think he emphasized the "old tech" aspect of the Vortex more than was needed, and I was surprised that the AiM requires shipment back to the seller for updates.
Definitely agree with those points. I was also surprised that he was so high on AIM customer service, since there are a few complaints on TT about them being hard to get hold of.

But the overall quality of info in the review from such a small channel was really impressive. I’ve watched one other video from this guy in the past couple days, and was impressed with that, too.

My takeaway from the video was to buy the GET. Invisible traction control and a very linear power delivery sounds… perfect.

I say all this as a guy who took a 10 minute around-town test ride on an RL, and then obsessed over YouTube videos for a long day. I don’t know shit about it, and don’t even own the bike (yet).

Very curious to hear your thoughts on the conversion. I've read other posts talking about the heavy clutch feel of a cable. Personally I thought the clutch pull was very reasonable, especially for cable.

Top Bottom Back Refresh