What's new

CRF450L /RL Mega Thread

I may have found a source for L/RL filters that's considerably cheaper than buying the full Honda Filter Kit. Anyone looking for a fuel filter without the rest of the OEM Fuel Filter Kit (approximately $70), Quantum Fuel Systems may be selling them at a much more reasonable price of 3 for $15.

QFF doesn't have a specific listing for the CRF450L/RL, but that's the filter for the CRF450RX. Honda doesn't list a part number for just the filter for either bike, so I can't be certain those filters are interchangeable. The photos look similar.

Honda 450L/RL Fuel Filter Kit: 06160-MKE-A00
Honda 450RX Fuel Filter Kit: 06160-MEN-A50

I contacted the company and they confirmed that the filter is the same. Considering the price difference, I think it's worth trying.

Does Honda spec a maintenance interval on the filter?

You know it !

Quicksand.JPG

I'll just re post here

From the Owners Manual , page 63 to do the work, page 36 for the interval. Replace every 1800 mi

Last edited:
BTW - the owners manual is very good.

If you want to purchase a service Manual , here is the link

There is also a common service manual -

I'll just re post here

From the Owners Manual , page 63 to do the work, page 36 for the interval. Replace every 1800 mi
I replaced mine around 4000 miles and it wasn't very dirty.
When you do replace it be extra careful removing the wires from the fuel pump terminals. They are a very small gauge and pulling the terminal off of the wire would be very difficult to repair.

Have money burning a hole in your pocket and want to lose some weight ??

get a Full Titanium Header
uhoh2.gif

Weight:
  • Stock 1.8 lbs.
  • Graves Header 1 lb
    upload_2022-7-10_7-5-7-png.png

Last edited:
Finally got around to changing the oil for the first time. AXP skidplate came off and on easily.

Used Nepa Cheeseburgers preferred oil, Lucas 10w40 full synthetic Jaso MA.

Old oil was definitely due for a change, but it wasn't nasty.

I've followed my usual break-in method: nothing. I just ride my ride; no slower, no faster.

It's a nice mellow 450. Quick revving, responsive, but never frightening. Very comparable to the 2012-2016 KTM 500exc-f in terms of power, but worlds smoother.
IMG_20220703_165316.jpg

Last edited:
Alright guys, this bike is starting to interest me. Last week while on lower Italian creek road in Colorado on my beloved DR650. I've come to the realization that between it's weight and suspension and my skill level that I would like something different. Perhaps I should've taken my KTM 350. Although it's a great bike, I thought lack of low end power might really rear it's head at altitude with luggage. I still regret selling my old RFS 450.

So I'm here, since I don't have a chance to test ride one. What does this bike need in terms of fixes? I've read all sorts of things like nasty tendencies at closed idle to be jerky and the only fix is a $700.00 ECU. Will it handle a giant loop coyote loaded well? Will it take the place of the ol DR?

You can fix the fueling issues with a Vortex or JD tuner. The Vortex has the added benefits of a bunch of maps and traction control.
We sell a coupler that allows you to mate a FMF to the OEM Header so you can retain the L pipe.
The bike will handle all kinds of luggage. the CRF works great as a pack mule for BDR and multi day rides at Engineer Pass altitudes.

I sold a RFS 400 to buy the CRF450L/RL in Sept 2018, the CRF was a great upgrade from the RFS.

My local dealer had one in stock last I was there, I'm going to stop in tomorrow and see if they still have it.

Good to know on the adapter, I'm thinking of selling 2 and buying one since I picked up the Strom a couple months ago, I've got something to eat up the slab miles, and picked up a winter project of a mostly original KDX 200 for the tighter single track.

Top Bottom Back Refresh