What's new

- Week DJ_MI's Nightly Rides. I'm going to Detroit; wish me luck!

Good suggestion that. Especially in the winter climes.
David
IMG_3353.jpeg

Did you use a relay to power the grips? 0r do have acc triggered relay power for your other accessories. I see advantages to both ways and have done countless vehicle installs as full time hot or acc hot and acc triggered relay. Just depends on what was ampening at the time. Plus some owners killed their batteries with some accessories from leaving it in the on position.

I kinda like the full time hot sae plug. I might install flush mount sae plugs on my "dirty" bikes. Then anything from a solar charger to a voltmeter can be pig tailed in.

That would be handy addition to the otherwise useless end of that cut off wrench.

I never even considered taking a spoke wrench for that trip. My tool kit was pared down to only what I absolutely would have needed to get me off the trail. It turned out that actually needed the tool kit on that ride when a coolant hose popped off somehow.

An option for a compact spoke tool could be one of these from a spoke torque wrench. They're about $15.
6pt_head.jpg

Just curious..have you spun the wheels and "tinged" the spokes lately?

I spent a lot of time truing the front last year. I have pics somewhere but I'd guess it was September or October.

I've cleaned the rear spokes recently but I didn't tap on them. I use a piece of paracord looped around the spoke and pull it back and forth sorta "shoe shine" style. I didn't notice any obviously loose.

Why do you ask? Should I zip tie them in preparation for imminent failure? :lol2
I use sound. If the spokes all have the same tone...it's good. But the nipples could be seized. The salt was also hard on the hub to spoke contact. Dam electrolyte... good thing you don't have a "no maintenance" ev moto. I always wanted to see if a zero bike would last through 100s of salt coverings...

I’m tired of work already this week. I’m cutting out early and riding around.

I rigged up a pulley and lever system held up with a bunch of ice cubes so a weight that, if my math is correct, will fall on the time clock and punch me out later right on time. :D

View attachment 74977
HR LADY IS GONNA HAVE HER WAY WITH YOU IF COUGHT

My dad was born in 1912 near South Lyon, MI, and grew up in Oakland and Livingston Counties. Back in the 1920's Michigan would allow you to do road
building and maintenance in lieu of paying property tax. He did that with a team of horses that belonged to my grandfather. Now we pay people big
bucks to operate air conditioned equipment that costs millions of dollars..........

That's really interesting. I'd never heard of that. Did he have any stories about what that was like? It wasn't that long ago but the thought of using horses to build roads seems so foreign to me.

Something that I noticed recently is that M-53 from around Shelby Township up to Romeo creates a pronounced divide between the more rugged terrain on the west and flatter farmland on the east. I've noticed it before but never really thought about it. It would make sense that they skirted the road right along the rougher terrain.
Looking at M-53 on the map I see that it runs right along the section line until it reaches 18 Mile Rd. then it jogs east one mile and continues along
a different section line. Sometime when you see that it indicates that the road was built from different directions and the two sections failed to meet as planned so they would have to connect them as best they could. My Dad didn't talk much about his childhood and I tend to think it wasn't very happy. He did say that if you had a team you could stay on with your horses and work for wages when the tax liability was satisfied, which is what he did. The horses belonged to my grandfather and Grandpa took all the money my dad earned to cover the expense of feeding the horses so my dad basically worked for nothing. This was around 1929-1930 and things were pretty hard at that time for most folks.

You might get more adjustment on the next chain going to 15 tooth cs sprocket or taking out a full link. My cs sprockets always wear 3x as fast as the rear. Sometimes I will replace the front early on. Seems to help chain life. My tw chain has stretched more than any bike I ever owned.

1713224632932.jpeg

I had one like this I bought new in 1969. Black on black with black interior, 290 V8, 3 speed with floor shifter and Sidewinder exhaust. I had ET mags, Firestone wide oval tires and an 8 track tape deck. These cars were pretty advanced for the time. Mine had a factory installed tach, tinted glass, headlight on reminder, and reclining front bucket seats. The seats were the best part of the car. You guess why!

That's nice. What did you listen to on that 8 track? What was it about the seats? :D

Can you tell what year the car in my pics is from? I took the pictures for the SE Theme Tag thread. The latest tag is 60s muscle car but I then thought that it was from the 70s. Maybe it qualifies after all.
On the 8 track I had Rolling Stones, Doors, CCR, Hollies, Led Zepplin, etc. The more mellow stuff was The Association, Byrds, Moody Blues, and Three Dog Night. On the AM radio we had Top 40 and Motown from CKLW. Who remembers CK?

The front seats would recline to full horizontal, perfect for making out with your girlfriend!

That car looks like the remains of a 1968-70 model. 1971 and later looked a lot different. I think the Alabama State Police had some 1971 models:

1713291879691.jpeg

Top Bottom Back Refresh