What's new

Motogp 2022

Jack's bike got lost...

It's easy to get lost in the desert. ;)

Corner by corner throttle mapping. Ponder that for a moment...

Corner by corner throttle mapping. Ponder that for a moment...
As I understand it, GPS based mapping and suspension tuning is banned, however the systems are allowed to track settings based on time after crossing the start/finish line which resets a clock every lap.

For example, if turn 3 comes up around 16.2 seconds after the start line then at that time the ECU would make adjustments although the bike doesn't actually know if it's at that turn. Obviously a somewhat imperfect science which is why it's permitted still.

As I understand it, GPS based mapping and suspension tuning is banned, however the systems are allowed to track settings based on time after crossing the start/finish line which resets a clock every lap.

For example, if turn 3 comes up around 16.2 seconds after the start line then at that time the ECU would make adjustments although the bike doesn't actually know if it's at that turn. Obviously a somewhat imperfect science which is why it's permitted still.

That's my understanding as well, and I've always wondered what happens when a rider goes off track, does not crash, then comes back on, similar to Pol toward the end of the race. Seems that added time would screw up the corner by corner timing/mapping.

But that wouldn't explain Jack's problem b/c I don't think he ran off track.

That's my understanding as well, and I've always wondered what happens when a rider goes off track, does not crash, then comes back on, similar to Pol toward the end of the race. Seems that added time would screw up the corner by corner timing/mapping.

But that wouldn't explain Jack's problem b/c I don't think he ran off track.
My theory is, that exactly for the reasons you describe, the system changes are subtle which is why they're still permitted. Or perhaps it can be defeated by the rider manually until the next clock reset?

And so I don't understand why this would have effected Jack's bike to the extremes he described or he didn't have an override? I have to assume this was not related to the track position tuning but errant data from a sensor or sensors causing the bike to behave in such a fashion (which couldn't be bypassed as it's part of the ECU map).

Amazing article! Rider comments usually tend to deflect any direct blame on team leadership but this time there obviously was no denying the truth.

Most unfortunate for Jorge Martin as well who I believe will be contending all season.

Regarding Miller, if the bike is going to outthink the rider, then why not just race robo-bikes and let the computers fight for the championship?? Sheesh....

Last edited:
Miller broke his bike. It's not an unusual occurrence for him, he's been a ham handed yahoo from his moto3 days.

Wish they would schedule Road America or Laguna Seca instead...COTA iis ok but not that exciting for myself.
Not enough runoff, concrete barriers and armco too close to the track.
Laguna did its best (sort of) to accommodate but I don't think they really wanted motogp anymore. COTA and Indy are the only tracks in the US that can safely run these bikes. Plus I don't think Road America has the hotel/infrastructure close to it to support a race that size

Shapeshifter Showdown

Ban them, and then ban the aero. Both pointless; I'd rather see talented riders have to control wheelies and spin with their ability.

If they are going to allow anything, it should be electronic suspension without any "location" ability so it might have some actual trickle down to the real world.

Now streaming on Amazon Prime.

Now streaming on Amazon Prime.

I was wondering when it would be out. :lurk
I've been watching Netflix's Formula 1 - absorbing.

Well, that was less than satisfying. :(

Watched a few episodes and I think it pales in comparison to the Netflix F1 series for a couple of reasons:

1. It is pretty obvious that the F1 series had a bigger budget; just comes across as higher quality filming, editing, story telling. No surprise, really.

2. The dubbing is horrendous. Really takes away from the authenticity, would much have preferred to hear the native language with subtitles.

3. A big part of the F1 series interest was hearing the drivers' "reactions and comments" from the car, real time. That added quite a bit of interest to me, showcasing at least a part of every personality. Obviously not currently allowed in Motogp, and I'm not advocating for it, but it makes for better TV.

4. F1 has "bigger personalities," much better at media than Motogp. Whether it are team principals or drivers/riders, the play the media better. Even the timing of the series drop was smarter...F1 dropped during testing and right before the season begins; Motogp drops now, after testing and the first race. Dumb.

Still, I'll watch because I'm a fan...perhaps it will get better.

I watched about half of the first episode so far (not a comment on my interest ... just a time limit thing). It felt like a lot of time spent glorifying Vale. I like Vale as much as all of us, but ...
Your point about intercom back-n-forth ... it is a good element in F1, right? Some of the pacing in the edits seems off ... it lingers on text transitions too long for my taste. I'll watch some more, but it may be after I get through F1.

The rollout of MotoGP Unlimited really is a fiasco. The dubbing has now been removed here in the US, but for many, the damage was already done. Which is a shame because the content is good. Spoiler: It's not all about Vale. Sure Vale is part of it because he is part of MotoGP, always will be.

Top Bottom Back Refresh