What's new

+ Week Rocket Science and other Riding Tales

Most people come to this lake to fish but I rode around and stopped at various spots to take pics.

P3160039b.JPG

P3160043.JPG

P3160046wc.JPG

It felt fine but the speedo is a bit optimistic. GPS said a mere 78 MPH.
That's still moving! I've only ever owned or ridden 49cc scooters. I really don't know anything about modern scooters but I just spent a good 45 minutes reading up. They sure have changed a lot in the 30+ years since I've read about them. :lol3

I found it interesting that Michigan raised the 50cc limit to 100cc in 2013. Maybe because of the phasing out of 2T scooters.

I was looking at faceBook and found that some random photographer posted some sunset pics from last night and one of them was this:

432763838_10230442167386888_130126571021288598_nb.jpg

Quite the coincidence!

Granted I'm a little slow but at first I thought he had the exact same scooter and upon closer inspection even the same plate number. That would be an amazing coincidence! :D

That's still moving! I've only ever owned or ridden 49cc scooters. I really don't know anything about modern scooters but I just spent a good 45 minutes reading up. They sure have changed a lot in the 30+ years since I've read about them. :lol3

I found it interesting that Michigan raised the 50cc limit to 100cc in 2013. Maybe because of the phasing out of 2T scooters.
Mot sure why except..the elite 80cc. I had a few cheater jailing "50"cc in the early 2000s. Dogs uphill but would run 55mph on flat ground. I much preferred my minarelli that topped out around 47mph.

When I bought the Vespa I sold my Majesty 400 which is a Maxi Scooter. I had the Speedo on that scooter up over 100. It read about 5 MPH high but still that was 95+ MPH. A lot of people look at a scooter and think "moped".
One of the things I like about my Vespa is that it still looks like a pretty small scooter unlike my Majesty which looked more like a motorcycle. People just don't expect a "small" scooter to be able to go 75+. So the Vespa still looks small but it feels much heavier than my 150cc scooter. My Like 150i for example has a curb weight of 284 pounds while the Vespa is 347 pounds. Both are actually a bit heavier due to the accessories I added but you can see that is quite a weight difference. The Vespa feels like a serious machine while the Like feels like a toy.

Great shots! That first one partially obscured by the tree is particularly stunning. 👍🏻

How’s your friend doing who got injured a little while back?

I set up a scooter ride last Saturday. I was hoping to get some of the local scooter riders out for a ride. A lot of riders who wanted to come were busy and couldn't make it but the weather forecast was about perfect so i went ahead with the ride.

P3300001.JPG

We ended up with with 5 scooters, 2 from Alabama, 2 from Tennessee and one came a couple of hundred miles from Georgia. We also had a couple of motorcycle riders from Alabama. We soon headed off and rode a bunch of back roads in Middle Tennessee. I had to slow down for Turkeys.

P3300004.JPG

P3300009p.JPG

P3300010p.JPG

A lot of my pics were taken when regrouping at turns.

P3300014wc.JPG

We stopped at a gas station and there was an incident that showed that some people are just complete morons. I pulled up behind a car that was parked blocking a pump. All of the pumps had cars at them. No one was pumping gas and the driver was in the drivers seat. I walked up and asked him to move forward so I could use the pump. He said sure thing. Then he just sat there. I waited a minute and then asked again. He said he would be leaving soon. I asked him to just move forward 10 feet so I could use the pump. He finally moved but what an inconsiderate moron. In case anyone is wondering he had Indiana Tags.

Back to our regular scheduled programming.

After gassing up we continued our ride.

P3300029.JPG

P3300030.JPG

P3300032.JPG

P3300035.JPG

Another stop at a scenic spot.

P3300043wc.JPG

P3300048wc.JPG

Our next stop was the Campball Station Country store for lunch. When we arrived there were three bikes parked outside. i recognized two of the bikes as belonging to friends but the third was a Royal Enfield 650 that I didn't recognize:scratch

We went inside and had lunch.

P3300058.JPG

While we were there a group arrived for a birthday party for a 95 year old lady!

After lunch we headed outside.

P3300059wc.JPG

the story of the RE 650. A friend saw an ad for this bike and it seemed to good to be true. It was a perfect condition RE 650 with less than 2,000 miles and some accessories. Apparently it was some lady who bought it, decided it wasn't for her and she had no idea of the value of the bike. He snapped it up before someone else did.

P3300061.JPG

His plan was to ride it a bit and then flip it.

This bike used to belong to one of our regular group who wasn't here today.

P3300066.JPG

The gal on the vespa GTS was riding with us for the first time.

P3300067.JPG

One last group pic.

P3300068.JPG

Stephen told me I should I should take the RE for a short spin. I told him how about we just swap bikes for a bit when we took off. He then accused me of trying to infect him with the scooter virus!!! I'm shocked that he would accuse me of that
lol8.gif

Here he is getting ready for his first ride on a Vespa.

P3300070.JPG

I rode the RE for a few miles. It's a nice bike. It was comfortable, smooth, seemed to handle and ride well. Compared to my Versys it felt lighter but also has slower steering and way less power. If someone gave me one I wouldn't turn it down but I'm not in the market for another bike right now.

We swapped back and continued on.

Rambo Hollow Rd.

P3300071.JPG

Here comes Tony.

P3300072.JPG

P3300073.JPG

Typical middle Tennessee countryside.

P3300074.JPG

P3300075.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh