What's new

What did you do in your garage today?

What year GS? There are a few good replacements out there. Also, make sure you carefully remove the mold flashing on the inside part before installing it.
it's a 1996 R1100GS.

Good tip on the mold flashing. Will make sure all surfaces are clean and smoothe.

This is what I'm seeing after googling. I already ordered a couple basic plastic replacements, so I hate the thought of spending another $120 right now.

Maybe next valve check I'll spring for this type of design.

This is what I'm seeing after googling. I already ordered a couple basic plastic replacements, so I hate the thought of spending another $120 right now.

Maybe next valve check I'll spring for this type of design.
That works, though there are others less expensive.

Thanks! The one I replaced is a aluminum cap like that, but that was also leaking. I think the "lower" part had started letting oil through.

Last edited:
Replaced the oil filter cap and lower portion 🙂

Put the tiger on the lift finally. It's down compression on two cylinders. I've moved with it twice. It's time to fix it.
1000030299.jpg

Had some pines leaning towards some power lines I wasn't comfortable with.
IMG_20240407_102741978_HDR.jpg

Turned them in to lumber for the greenhouse project.

IMG_20240407_152148789.jpg

Stones for the foundation came out of the creek. 1' in the ground, 1' above the ground. Way more work than I thought it would be.

I need easier hobbies!

Installed deployable bed steps

ScreenHunter 4819.png
ScreenHunter 4820.png
In your truck, Then dam things will almost rip your head off as a hitch installer. Why I left that world for the log woodz. . FreKiu g torching. Next to navigator plastic tanks on huck bolts. Have fun..you should have got a 450/550 with a better frame design and fuse box.

Reactions: MVI
^^^ Luckily the F350 came with the hitch and gooseneck installed by Ford at the Factory !

When I was under the truck I noticed the frame is fully boxed and 12" tall. Way beefier than my 2008 Duramax's frame.

Maybe someone can give me some advice here.

My brakes are dragging.

This pin binds up in the caliper.
IMG_7244.jpeg

I polished it up with 2000 grit and got some small bits and galling off of it.

It’s still binding. With a plastic pick I can feel some scoring in the caliper.
IMG_7243.jpeg

So I’m using some 2000 grit on a stick to try to smooth it out.

IMG_7242.jpeg

It’s so nice out and I should be riding. Anyone have any suggestions or am I on the right track here?

I was about to chuck my sandpaper on a stick up in the drill and clearance it up real nice but it’s good enough for now. 🤦‍♂️

That’s why they won’t allow me me to have anything coarser than 2k grit…

I was about to chuck my sandpaper on a stick up in the drill and clearance it up real nice but it’s good enough for now. 🤦‍♂️

That’s why they won’t allow me me to have anything coarser than 2k grit…
A poor fit can be as bad as having it filled with crud.

I'm surprised there isn't a boot around the piston, but maybe that's an automotive thing that isn't done on bikes.

If it's still a problem, I'd clean the entire assembly up with a nylon brush and Brakleen, including brushing the bore and blowing it out with compressed air until the Brakleen flushes clean. Re-assemble with the correct grease and see how it works.

A poor fit can be as bad as having it filled with crud.

I'm surprised there isn't a boot around the piston, but maybe that's an automotive thing that isn't done on bikes.

If it's still a problem, I'd clean the entire assembly up with a nylon brush and Brakleen, including brushing the bore and blowing it out with compressed air until the Brakleen flushes clean. Re-assemble with the correct grease and see how it works.
Thanks. I didn’t pull the pistons out but I did clean around them the best I could. One piston moves smoothly and the other needs some attention. There is a dust seal but it’s internal there’s two seals around the piston; a hydraulic one and the dust seal.

The part that was really binding is one of the slider pins. If was strange how easily it would bind in the hole. There is conventional looking dust boots on the pins but it’s removed in the picture.

The rear is worse and I just ordered all the pins, seals and clips today.

I was getting frustrated with the front because it I got it all cleaned and polished up and it seemed to be sliding good until I mounted it and then it was binding as bad as when I started. Polishing the pin and hole at least made it ride-able. I'm figuring that with one piston being slightly sticky it's creating uneven force and twisting the caliper enough to cause the scored pin to bind in the blind hole.

Maybe someone can give me some advice here.

My brakes are dragging.

This pin binds up in the caliper.
IMG_7244.jpeg

I polished it up with 2000 grit and got some small bits and galling off of it.

It’s still binding. With a plastic pick I can feel some scoring in the caliper.
IMG_7243.jpeg

So I’m using some 2000 grit on a stick to try to smooth it out.

IMG_7242.jpeg

It’s so nice out and I should be riding. Anyone have any suggestions or am I on the right track here?
Be careful you don't wallow the hole only to discover a bent pin. Been there, done that, spongy brakes for life. I've got a bike now with a floppy caliper because of a loose fitting pin. Makes you wish everything was radially mounted.

Top Bottom Back Refresh