What's new

What did you do in your garage today?

Be careful you don't wallow the hole only to discover a bent pin. Been there, done that, spongy brakes for life. I've got a bike now with a floppy caliper because of a loose fitting pin. Makes you wish everything was radially mounted.
Thanks. I didn't check the pins for straightness. That's sound advice. What would you use to clean up the blind hole in the aluminum caliper?

I was half joking about using the drill. I just want to ride and my lack of mechanic skills often results in frustration. That's when I trade in the torque wrench for a pipe wrench...

Radial mount is nice but it wouldn't solve my core problem. Lack of proper maintenance. I pad slapped it once and cleaned it up periodically and just expect it to keep on truckin' indefinitely?

Radial mount is nice but it wouldn't solve my core problem. Lack of proper maintenance. I pad slapped it once and cleaned it up periodically and just expect it to keep on truckin' indefinitely?
This is the way 😁

I bent the pin on my KLR twice. One was a direct tree strike and I give the cast caliper credit for not dying on impact. Took a gouge out of the tree. Not sure what happened the other time...heavy bike?...lucky strike?

There's no way easy to clean out a skinny bore like that. Probably a twig, or chopsticks and poke at it.

Used a chainsaw mill and a skil saw to make our dining table a few years ago. From an Ash that fell in a storm. I was a noob and didn't let the wood dry long enough and it twisted itself all up. The original bread board ends were twisted beyond repair and I don't have any more Ash to replace them. Ended up cutting them in to strips and combined them with some oak strips to make a sort of herringbone pattern.

IMG_20240311_151638313.jpg

Took a few weeks but it's finally rebuilt. And flat! No more plates wobbling on the table 😁
IMG_20240323_175542761.jpg

IMG_20240411_161428487_HDR.jpg

A non-metallic bore brush by hand or drill, along with a solvent that won't eat the brush, and compressed air should clean up that blind bore. Use lots of solvent in a spray bottle & lots of air until clean.

Used a chainsaw mill and a skil saw to make our dining table a few years ago. From an Ash that fell in a storm. I was a noob and didn't let the wood dry long enough and it twisted itself all up. The original bread board ends were twisted beyond repair and I don't have any more Ash to replace them. Ended up cutting them in to strips and combined them with some oak strips to make a sort of herringbone pattern.

IMG_20240311_151638313.jpg

Took a few weeks but it's finally rebuilt. And flat! No more plates wobbling on the table 😁
IMG_20240323_175542761.jpg

IMG_20240411_161428487_HDR.jpg

Flat, no wobbling, and solid enough to dance on. Suck it, IKEA.

A non-metallic bore brush by hand or drill, along with a solvent that won't eat the brush, and compressed air should clean up that blind bore. Use lots of solvent in a spray bottle & lots of air until clean.
It’s clean but has some striations that I can feel with a plastic pick. That’s what I was trying to buff out last night.

I bled the brakes. Yeah, first time in 18k miles. 🤦‍♂️

The core problem I’m pretty much positive is a sticking piston. That unfortunately has possibly twisted the caliper against the pin and caused the scoring.

What’s the chances of me getting the pistons out, polished up and back in without having new seals? I really want to ride this weekend.

It’s been easier to work on tonight because it’s pouring rain and I wouldn’t be riding anyhow. :D

IMG_7283.jpeg

Don’t worry, that’s mixed with some Super Blue.

IMG_7284.jpeg

New from tire for the street bike, front brake service for the dirt bike. Surprising how heavy the street wheel/tire was in comparison.

Custom hubs to fit spokes on the FZ09?
IMG-20240412-WA0006.jpeg

I wouldn't take the pistons out without replacement seals anyway. Too much risk of nicking a seal IMO.
Thanks.

I went to one shop and called two others, no luck locally on the pins and seals. I'll admit that I would've dropped the money on an entire caliper just so I could be riding but no one had that either. Apparently there's a supply issue with the entire caliper assembly. Possibly a little bit of a limbo between an EOL part number and a new superseded number. I wound up ordering the pins and seals from RMATV.

Maybe someone can give me some advice here.

My brakes are dragging.

This pin binds up in the caliper.
IMG_7244.jpeg

I polished it up with 2000 grit and got some small bits and galling off of it.

It’s still binding. With a plastic pick I can feel some scoring in the caliper.
IMG_7243.jpeg

So I’m using some 2000 grit on a stick to try to smooth it out.

IMG_7242.jpeg

It’s so nice out and I should be riding. Anyone have any suggestions or am I on the right track here?

Sell it and buy a new bike, you deserve nice things.

Sell it and buy a new bike, you deserve nice things.
On one hand I'm flattered that you think I deserve nice things. 👍

Yet on the other hand I'm slightly offended that you don't think my bike is "nice". :lol2

Just kidding. It is getting a little rough; the brakes drag because 2/3's of the cylinders are seizing up, it's leaking oil at an increasingly concerning rate, the forks seem to be weeping more and more, the rear shock is squishy, I'm at nearly triple the valve check interval and it's really starting to sound like it, despite all the bound links in the chain the adjusters are still maxed out, I have pieces of old mudflaps and inner tubes zip tied to the handlebars as wind deflectors with some 3"x2mil packaging tape (the good shit!) to seal up the gaps, it's got some zip tie stitches in the plastics. But otherwise it's fine. One owner. Meticulously maintained. Ran when parked. $6,700 firm. Serious Inquiries only. :D:D

There was a brand new KLX300 at the shop today. I briefly considered buying it.

Yet on the other hand I'm slightly offended that you don't think my bike is "nice". :lol2

Just kidding. It is getting a little rough; the brakes drag because 2/3's of the cylinders are seizing up, it's leaking oil at an increasingly concerning rate, the forks seem to be weeping more and more, the rear shock is squishy, I'm at nearly triple the valve check interval and it's really starting to sound like it, despite all the bound links in the chain the adjusters are still maxed out, I have pieces of old mudflaps and inner tubes zip tied to the handlebars as wind deflectors with some 3"x2mil packaging tape (the good shit!) to seal up the gaps, it's got some zip tie stitches in the plastics. But otherwise it's fine. One owner. Meticulously maintained. Ran when parked. $6,700 firm. Serious Inquiries only. :D:D

I bet you the quad seal groove is full of corrosion. This will put extreme pressure on the pistons. I make a piston puller from 2 pieces of 1/2" square tube or bar stock with a small piece of wood or a socket. Basically inside out pliers. The seal can stick to the piston on one side and rock the piston. This will create a shelf in the caliper bore. I tore mine apart. Used a curved diamond needle file to carefully remove the shelf. I cleaned out the seal grooves. Wiped down the terrible looking seals. I also had to deburr the piston where the chrome plating flaked off. Threw everything back together with no leaks and better brakes than ever.

Basically every part in your caliper is trashed or close to it. Not many people ride in salt. So very few have the experience of what happens. And it is never pretty. I would watch ebay for a replacement calipers from a better region. And watch for a nice set of wheels...the rims are next to rot out. There is no stopping the corrosion. Especially the kind that can not be seen. You might want check to see if your swing arm bolt can still spin. That screws up on non salt bikes. And is a big nightmare.

Oh ya the fork seals have steel springs...same dam thing...electrolyte and dissimilar metals is fun stuff.

Don't play with that chain, man. I let a lot of shit slide, but chains are place I won't skimp on. Kinky chains are asking for busted cases or busting your ass if the rear locks up.

I've been a DID snob for years but a couple years ago I tried a couple Firepower chains that a buddy at the bike shop vouched for. He gets more commission if he sells me a more expensive chain and I trust him. They've been perfectly fine (still in use) and a good oring one is like $65.

Don't play with that chain, man. I let a lot of shit slide, but chains are place I won't skimp on. Kinky chains are asking for busted cases or busting your ass if the rear locks up.

I've been a DID snob for years but a couple years ago I tried a couple Firepower chains that a buddy at the bike shop vouched for. He gets more commission if he sells me a more expensive chain and I trust him. They've been perfectly fine (still in use) and a good oring one is like $65.
I know better but I haven't taken it seriously. It means more coming from an experienced rider. Thank you. 👍

I have a new chain waiting but I was putting it off until I wouldn't be riding in the salt anymore. We're past that. Now I've just been procrastinating. I'll get it done.

Top Bottom Back Refresh