What's new

What did you do in your garage today?

Nothing!! It was a beautiful day so I rode out to the beach!
Loutsa 2 2024.jpg

Took the wagon with the family into the city yesterday. We get there, traction control light kicks on. Swung into Autozone to use the scan tool, their little thing said nothing. Came back home and ran Forscan. P1889. The Haldex pump on the rear end is no good. That's a cool $500. Now I get to drop the exhaust, driveshaft, and pull the Haldex system. That's going to be a sucky day. Shop can't get here quick enough.

I bet you the quad seal groove is full of corrosion. This will put extreme pressure on the pistons. I make a piston puller from 2 pieces of 1/2" square tube or bar stock with a small piece of wood or a socket. Basically inside out pliers. The seal can stick to the piston on one side and rock the piston. This will create a shelf in the caliper bore. I tore mine apart. Used a curved diamond needle file to carefully remove the shelf. I cleaned out the seal grooves. Wiped down the terrible looking seals. I also had to deburr the piston where the chrome plating flaked off. Threw everything back together with no leaks and better brakes than ever.

Basically every part in your caliper is trashed or close to it. Not many people ride in salt. So very few have the experience of what happens. And it is never pretty. I would watch ebay for a replacement calipers from a better region. And watch for a nice set of wheels...the rims are next to rot out. There is no stopping the corrosion. Especially the kind that can not be seen. You might want check to see if your swing arm bolt can still spin. That screws up on non salt bikes. And is a big nightmare.
Thanks!

What did you use to debur the piston? There was a few small nicks that I could feel with my nail. I'm sure I'll find more with the piston out.

You might want check to see if your swing arm bolt can still spin. That screws up on non salt bikes. And is a big nightmare.
I checked the swingarm bolt earlier today and it still spins. I took the linkage apart last year and cleaned it all up and greased it. Hopefully those are still good too.

Thanks!

What did you use to debur the piston? There was a few small nicks that I could feel with my nail. I'm sure I'll find more with the piston out.
600 grit sand paper. Mine was missing a decent amount of chrome plating on one of the pistons The jellied up corrosion in the seal grooves was tough to clean out. And the cause of the problem.I hope yours is not as bad as mine.

Reactions: MVI
Have you checked out the guzzi for a bigger bike option. Shaft drive, air cooled and nothing blocking the cam covers
The V85? It's a nice looking bike and a transverse V-twin is pretty neat but at that price it opens up a lot of other options.

600 grit sand paper. Mine was missing a decent amount of chrome plating on one of the pistons The jellied up corrosion in the seal grooves was tough to clean out. And the cause of the problem.I hope yours is not as bad as mine.
Thanks. 👍

The V85? It's a nice looking bike and a transverse V-twin is pretty neat but at that price it opens up a lot of other options.

Thanks. 👍
V85tt was a joke about chain maintenance and valve adjustment. Very cool bikes and pricey!

I looked around the net for klx300 parts. I did not check the forums. Oem and aftermarket parts come and go for decent pricing. A new gen2 klr aftermarket caliper with pads is $22...almost scarry

I looked at the bike yesterday, turned the key, and the 2019 battery fired it right up. Gotta love a Honda CRF.

Next Project is to figure out why the Garmin Zumo XT wont light off...

That sucks. Mine has worked damn near perfect for 3 years and about 30K miles now. Once in a blue moon, I have to do a hard a reset and it fires back up perfect.

On one hand I'm flattered that you think I deserve nice things. 👍

Yet on the other hand I'm slightly offended that you don't think my bike is "nice". :lol2

Just kidding. It is getting a little rough; the brakes drag because 2/3's of the cylinders are seizing up, it's leaking oil at an increasingly concerning rate, the forks seem to be weeping more and more, the rear shock is squishy, I'm at nearly triple the valve check interval and it's really starting to sound like it, despite all the bound links in the chain the adjusters are still maxed out, I have pieces of old mudflaps and inner tubes zip tied to the handlebars as wind deflectors with some 3"x2mil packaging tape (the good shit!) to seal up the gaps, it's got some zip tie stitches in the plastics. But otherwise it's fine. One owner. Meticulously maintained. Ran when parked. $6,700 firm. Serious Inquiries only. :D:D

There was a brand new KLX300 at the shop today. I briefly considered buying it.
This you bro? 😁

I never seen a tire with a zipper before. The rope tied off to the swingarm is wild
IMG-20240415-WA0004.jpg

ThiThough my Garmin is very basic it’s been very reliable for me. Without it I’d probably still be lost out in the woods somewhere. Maybe I should get a fancier model… 🤔

The only big ride I’ve ever done (MCCCT) the GPS was absolutely crucial to success. Even with it navigation was still a struggle. I never let it out of my sight because I knew it was over if it got stolen. It was one of the details I never finished before the trip but I wanted to have a duplicate SD card in case it did get lost or broken. I could have gone to a bigger city and bought a replacement and still carried on with the ride.

IMG_7507.jpeg

Top Bottom Back Refresh