What's new

What did you do to your BMW GS/GSA Today?

Very nice. I just hit 23k so will be doing that service in the next few weeks. I'm actually looking forward to it.

Well got into my 24 K today.

Started with valves and cam alignment check. Held my breath as I removed covers and was happy to see my cam lobes still there!

Oil and filter change. Liqui Moly 5-40 Will change FD fluid with same brand FD oil. One thing I don't understand is BMW on the oil check. Not sure why they would not incorporate a dip stick rather then a site glass? I mean bring to temp, let sit for 5 mins, then check sight glass. I mean yes I set a timer on my phone and it is repeatable using a timer but why am I doing that in this day and age? Anyway it took a bit over 4 Liters to get 3/4 in the red center circle at the 5 min mark. I do pre fill my filter and allow it to sit before I spin it on but I dont fill it to the top of the hole, I just want the pleats saturated on that first start. I can only guess that since I had covers off do get a bit out of the left side, cam chain tension out and dry, and the bike drained as I was doing the valves and cam check.

Jim have you seen this a bit over 4 liters to fill? My experience on this bike is every time it takes more then 4 liter. Is it just a math thing quarts to liters?

Put some Iridium NGK plugs in to "replace" stock and we will see. I ran them in my RT and no issues. These OEM plugs looked as new that I took out, but my experience is for the cost, replace them no matter how they look.

So with my 24K I will remove all calipers and take the pads out, clean the pucks and all slide pins and points, high temp copper grease on those pins and slide parts and a brake bleed with the GS-911 and a IV bag on the installed speed bleeders. Easy peazy.

While off for caliper clean, will have new sneakers put on front and rear.

I will remove my shifter and linkage and clean and lube all points and cups and the shifter bushing and and will do the brake pedal also. If you have never done this and have some miles on you will be amazed on how different it feels.

Will use the penny trick to hold my center stand springs and side stand spring and clean and lube those pivot points on both stands. Also side stand switch look over.

Have a new battery to install 5 years on this one and I just will do it. I hate it but with all the goodies comes power consumption and battery's just don't seem to last these days. Would rather be proactive then looking for one at the worst possible time.

Updated the ezCAN as I am a beta tester and that takes a bit to do and you need a internet connection. Used my phone as a mobile hot spot and that worked really well. I then need to preform tests for functionality and send log files and stuff to them.

Also updated the GS-911 Pro. That program interface has changed a bunch since I used it last. Ran a Auto scan to save for records. Reset the Service Reminder. I will use more of it when I do the brake bleed as far as tests and function items I do every service.

Best day I have spent in months! Love spinning those wrenches and knowing stuff is done right with care and accuracy.
I liked this post….until I read about lubing the side stand and realized I’m far too lazy to do that myself.

Very nice. I just hit 23k so will be doing that service in the next few weeks. I'm actually looking forward to it.
It is therapy for me. I enjoy doing the work.

The stuff I do others probably do not but IMHO there is a lot to be said for maintenance and there is more to it then a service sheet shows or expects.

I am very serious on the shifter lube. You will think you have a new bike. It is amazing how it feels.

Not this time but what I do every 24K. Not sure why it is showing as it is?

shifter+lube.JPG

To me I need to trust my bike as I do run it hard. I don't beat it but we go everywhere fast.

Off to do the brake bleed and caliper clean with the GS-911 today so I just keep working at it until I think it is time to stop and then start another day.

It also involves cleaning as with the crash bars off I can get at stuff that is very hard when they are in place. And while I like a clean bike and it is nice to ride a shiny bike it is more important to have a clean bike to inspect to make sure you spot a issue before it turns real ugly.

All in all wrenching is fun.

Last edited:
https://lafsbmw.s3.amazonaws.com/shifter+lube.JPG

Well this works still getting used to the Forum and hate computers. Of course I am a retired Network Administrator so that is a big part of hating computers. Talk about never being done!

I wet those felt pads a bit with good old 3 in 1 oil. It basically is a seal. I then use Honda Paste on the ball ends. Just a very small amount as you don't need a lot at all.

I ran out of gas.:(

I had to run down to Massachusetts this morning and I had 143 miles on the current tank and my errand was about 150 miles round trip so I knew that I would be getting low on gas in my '07 GSA and possibly even seeing the evil orange triangle before I got back.

Just before getting back into my home town on the return leg and close to my preferred gas station I puttered to a halt. I leaned the bike way over on both sides figuring that there was still some gas in there somewhere and it worked long enough to get me to the gas station.

I ran out of gas at 302 miles and filled up at 305 and put in 7.4 gallons. I always fill up as much as I can right up to the neck so I didn't get the 8.7 gallons that I'm supposed to have.:dunno

You would think that after 15 years and 92 thousand miles I would know my bike well enough not to do stupid shit like this.:baldy

Last edited:
I had a Touratech box waiting on me when I got back from a ride on my KTM 690. I ordered up a set of hand guard last week. Overpriced? Yes! Better than the OEM all yellow guards, Yup! More protection = Mo Better!!

Hopefully I wont have to test them out, but ya never know!

45 minute install.

Next over priced item will be a new skid plate from AltRider. From what I have read, they are frame mounted unlike everyone else doing the weird bracket mounted to the engine case, thats a no-go in my book GI!!
20220419_155534.jpg

20220419_155539.jpg

20220419_155546.jpg

20220419_164018.jpg

I had a Touratech box waiting on me when I got back from a ride on my KTM 690. I ordered up a set of hand guard last week. Overpriced? Yes! Better than the OEM all yellow guards, Yup! More protection = Mo Better!!

Hopefully I wont have to test them out, but ya never know!

45 minute install.

Next over priced item will be a new skid plate from AltRider. From what I have read, they are frame mounted unlike everyone else doing the weird bracket mounted to the engine case, thats a no-go in my book GI!!
20220419_155534.jpg

20220419_155539.jpg

20220419_155546.jpg

20220419_164018.jpg
Man, that yellow looks great!

Finally got my shifter and linkage done today as I work to the end of the 24K.

Just wanted to post a pic of all the components of the shifter.

The little clips are a pain but you just swing them off the shifter shaft and once cleared you pull them up and out. As you can see there is a large bushing in the shifter and that large bolts is another bushing for the shifter to pivot on. This was the second time on my GS and it was not too grungy but enough.

As I say small amount of Molly Paste on each ball and a little inside the shifter bushing and a little on that large bolt. I say bolt but the smaller bolts goes from the inside and screws into that large bolt/bushing. I also soak that felt pad and the one on the quick shifter with 3 in 1 oil. The way the pieces are laying is the way they come off just for reference.

shifter parts.JPG

Also installed a new battery from Amazon. It is a 14 Yuasa not the 16 but the white battery is the OEM BMW and lasted 5 years with way lower spec then the Yuasa 14 I put in. One of the reasons is 16 are non existent and since a Yuasa 14 is better then the OEM I figured for 90 bucks to my door, and it was dry with a acid pack so I stored it for a bit until I wanted to replace and do my 24K. I am on a 5 year replacement as I don't want to sit and while there are no sure things with battery's at least I am doing what I can just in case it is getting wear from vibration or starting to develop problems at 5 years.

battery swap.JPG

That Yuasa is a good battery. Used them on many bikes.
Fully charge it before putting into service. It will extend it's overall service life.

That Yuasa is a good battery. Used them on many bikes.
Fully charge it before putting into service. It will extend it's overall service life.
That Yuasa comes dry. You get a pretty sophisticated hard plastic acid pack you set on top, push down and it opens into each individual cell.

Let it sit for 30-60 mins for the matts to absorb and then charge it. It took four hours for the Optimate to run all tests and bring it to full charge.

Well 3 months ago I ordered a Wunderlich Cockpit Cover. It came yesterday and I installed today. I have to say it is a pretty expensive piece of ABS plastic at 150 bucks. That said it is really slick the way it installs.

In the pic the color looks off but I had used 303 plastic protection on it and it may be that in the pics. On the bike it matches well enough. Of course in PA where I live showers today so no test ride.

I want to put my heated clothing on it and I want to put a small LED wired to my aux lights to show me when they are on. I use yellow lens and it is hard to tell unless I am on someones tail and I don't like that.

I will post after a test run looking at noise abatement or increased noise, and how it affect air flow. My hope is warmer winter riding and less water up through the fork area. We will see. I do like it though looks wise.

Attachments

• cockpi2.JPG
    cockpi2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • cockpi1.JPG
    cockpi1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
I can say I am very pleased with the Wunderlich Cockpit Cover.

Did 100 miles this AM and it makes a big difference in noise. I do not hear my front tire any longer. It is all around quieter for sure.

I was surprised what it did to be honest.

I wear custom molded musicians ear plugs that cut 25 DB across the entire range. I could tell a difference compared to when I rode it last week without.

I am happy with it but it was expensive to say the least. However it does work and that soothes the sting a bit.

Well 3 months ago I ordered a Wunderlich Cockpit Cover. It came yesterday and I installed today. I have to say it is a pretty expensive piece of ABS plastic at 150 bucks. That said it is really slick the way it installs.

In the pic the color looks off but I had used 303 plastic protection on it and it may be that in the pics. On the bike it matches well enough. Of course in PA where I live showers today so no test ride.

I want to put my heated clothing on it and I want to put a small LED wired to my aux lights to show me when they are on. I use yellow lens and it is hard to tell unless I am on someones tail and I don't like that.

I will post after a test run looking at noise abatement or increased noise, and how it affect air flow. My hope is warmer winter riding and less water up through the fork area. We will see. I do like it though looks wise.

I have the HexHead version. It's all metal and sits above the gauges.

Interested to see how you like it.

Finally got some time off of work so I decided to do a 6k service. Plugged the GS-911 into my 2009 1200GS and got a fault code in the engine controller.

Fault Code Value: 10098 (0x2772)
Fault Code Meaning: Tank Venting Valve defective

It also says under "Fault code History" that the speed was 0 and it happened 2.5 miles ago.

Any ideas? Is this just the charcoal canister acting up?

I did overfill that tank a bit at last fill up. Not sure this would throw a code though.

Top Bottom Back Refresh