What's new

What did you do to your BMW GS/GSA Today?

Thanks for the information ! :bow
I haven't looked at the site in a while as it was a year when I last used the machine... Those TMM last a while you know... :lol3

EDIT: I ordered the larger ones and they were mailed out the same day. I installed them on the tire changer and they will do a better job holding the rim in place.

Last edited:
I've been debating on whether or not to post about my experience with Bumot panniers and ADV Motoraad, their U.S. based distributor. After a month of back and forth emails, taking and submitting numerous photos, and testing the pannier mount then adjusting the mounting hardware I'm still awaiting a resolution.

The back story goes like this; I discovered the Bumot brand while perusing a GS thread on another forum (not ADVR) where I learned of Bumot so I did some research and found out they are highly regarded. One YouTube video I watched put the Bumot up against ten other offerings and found them the best and that includes a rating above BMW's panniers.

So, May of this year I mount the panniers for the first time and head out. About a mile from my home I hear a loud metal bang and look over my shoulder to see the left pannier sliding across two lanes of traffic. One driver almost ran over it and another stopped to retrieve it and drive about 300' to where I'd pulled over. Nice folks, I couldn't thank them enough. So I check out its condition and notice it didn't suffer too badly after detaching at 35 mph and sliding on asphalt until it came to a rest against the curb. I reattach it and give it a pretty good tug in all directions - JUST AS I HAD DONE IN MY DRIVEWAY PRIOR TO DEPARTING.

I continue my ride occasionally keeping my hand on the pannier lid. My ride took me 60 miles north to the Denver 'burbs where I bought some MC clothing from an inmate. The rest of the way up and back was without any issues but still, I was bothered. I was also impressed at how well the Bumot pannier survived the get off that I sent the distributor an email with photos. My email mentioned that I somehow must have failed to ensure it was securely attached to the pannier frame, how else could it have ejected??

Fast forward to October when I prepped for a trip to see my sister in TX. A few days before departure I install the panniers and head off to the nearest gas station to top off the tank. This time I was more aggressive with my post-mounting test of the pannier attachment and once confident I took off. This time the pannier ejected about 15' past my driveway. Shit. I pull over and reattach it and give it the test again and this time I made it about 150' before losing the pannier. Double shit. Aside from some scratches to the pannier's body, the main areas of damage centered around the composite corner protectors and hinges.

DSC02871-X3.jpg

DSC02872-X3.jpg

The photos above were taken after the first ejection, the damage is a little worse after two more incidents.

I return home to drop off both and fuel the bike. I was set on riding my GSA to TX and this problem wasn't going to prevent that from happening so I went to a nearby Ace Hardware store in search of some straps but most everything they had was more like for tying down stuff but a more thorough search of their shelves yielded the perfect strap so I bought four - all they had at the time - figuring I'd need two for each pannier even thought the right side never gave me a problem.

Here's my solution to securing the panniers:
DSC03690-X3.jpg

So, upon my return I contacted the supplier to explain what happened and asked them to provide a solution. After several emails asking me to do more rigorous "shake" tests to include having a neighbor come over to stabilize the bike while I REALLY yanked on the pannier then the problem became obvious. The locking latch wasn't fully engaging the tube frame:
nylon%20locking%20device-X2.jpg

They suggested that I loosen the fasteners on the lower frame mount to drop the latching mechanism so that it engages the upper pannier mount a little more. I did this and it seems to work. What bothers me is that I have damaged goods - expensive goods - through no fault of my own. Yea, I know items like panniers are bound to get dinged up but still, it would have been nice not to have experienced this. On a positive note the U.S. distributor has been great to work with but it's obvious he's taking his direction from the manufacturer. At a minimum I'm hoping for replacement corner protectors and hinges.

Thanks for reading.....flame away... :lol3

I've been debating on whether or not to post about my experience with Bumot panniers and ADV Motoraad, their U.S. based distributor. After a month of back and forth emails, taking and submitting numerous photos, and testing the pannier mount then adjusting the mounting hardware I'm still awaiting a resolution.

The back story goes like this; I discovered the Bumot brand while perusing a GS thread on another forum (not ADVR) where I learned of Bumot so I did some research and found out they are highly regarded. One YouTube video I watched put the Bumot up against ten other offerings and found them the best and that includes a rating above BMW's panniers.

So, May of this year I mount the panniers for the first time and head out. About a mile from my home I hear a loud metal bang and look over my shoulder to see the left pannier sliding across two lanes of traffic. One driver almost ran over it and another stopped to retrieve it and drive about 300' to where I'd pulled over. Nice folks, I couldn't thank them enough. So I check out its condition and notice it didn't suffer too badly after detaching at 35 mph and sliding on asphalt until it came to a rest against the curb. I reattach it and give it a pretty good tug in all directions - JUST AS I HAD DONE IN MY DRIVEWAY PRIOR TO DEPARTING.

I continue my ride occasionally keeping my hand on the pannier lid. My ride took me 60 miles north to the Denver 'burbs where I bought some MC clothing from an inmate. The rest of the way up and back was without any issues but still, I was bothered. I was also impressed at how well the Bumot pannier survived the get off that I sent the distributor an email with photos. My email mentioned that I somehow must have failed to ensure it was securely attached to the pannier frame, how else could it have ejected??

Fast forward to October when I prepped for a trip to see my sister in TX. A few days before departure I install the panniers and head off to the nearest gas station to top off the tank. This time I was more aggressive with my post-mounting test of the pannier attachment and once confident I took off. This time the pannier ejected about 15' past my driveway. Shit. I pull over and reattach it and give it the test again and this time I made it about 150' before losing the pannier. Double shit. Aside from some scratches to the pannier's body, the main areas of damage centered around the composite corner protectors and hinges.

DSC02871-X3.jpg

DSC02872-X3.jpg

The photos above were taken after the first ejection, the damage is a little worse after two more incidents.

I return home to drop off both and fuel the bike. I was set on riding my GSA to TX and this problem wasn't going to prevent that from happening so I went to a nearby Ace Hardware store in search of some straps but most everything they had was more like for tying down stuff but a more thorough search of their shelves yielded the perfect strap so I bought four - all they had at the time - figuring I'd need two for each pannier even thought the right side never gave me a problem.

Here's my solution to securing the panniers:
DSC03690-X3.jpg

So, upon my return I contacted the supplier to explain what happened and asked them to provide a solution. After several emails asking me to do more rigorous "shake" tests to include having a neighbor come over to stabilize the bike while I REALLY yanked on the pannier then the problem became obvious. The locking latch wasn't fully engaging the tube frame:
nylon%20locking%20device-X2.jpg

They suggested that I loosen the fasteners on the lower frame mount to drop the latching mechanism so that it engages the upper pannier mount a little more. I did this and it seems to work. What bothers me is that I have damaged goods - expensive goods - through no fault of my own. Yea, I know items like panniers are bound to get dinged up but still, it would have been nice not to have experienced this. On a positive note the U.S. distributor has been great to work with but it's obvious he's taking his direction from the manufacturer. At a minimum I'm hoping for replacement corner protectors and hinges.

Thanks for reading.....flame away... :lol3
I would expect a replacement pannier at the least!!!!

Thanks for posting your experience Spanky. I have been considering a Bumot solution from advmotorrad for several months.

I have the older model, and my friend has the newer model like yours. No issues. I am surprised Jason wasn't more accommodating. His customer service is usually very good.

FfoWSC.jpg

Thanks for posting your experience Spanky. I have been considering a Bumot solution from advmotorrad for several months.

I have the older model, and my friend has the newer model like yours. No issues. I am surprised Jason wasn't more accommodating. His customer service is usually very good.

FfoWSC.jpg
Jason's customer service has been incredible. I've spoken to him a couple of times and can tell you he's genuine and totally invested in his customers. I think he has to take his marching orders from Bumot who probably is less than inclined to cough up a new pannier. TravelinLite, please don't let my post discourage you from going with the Bumot's. Their product is seriously stout and considering the three ejections and still look good. If you get them just make sure you give them a serious tug towards you when you mount them the first time. If the pannier comes off then just do the bracket adjustment I did and all will be well.

JimVonBaden, I love my GSA Rallye but your bike is dead sexy!
yea%20baby-S.gif

Booked mine and my work colleagues BMW1200Gs's in for the drive-shaft service check and rubber drain fitment.
Earliest we could get them done is Jan 20th 2023.

Thanks spanky. I would not let your experience discourage me. It is just a matter of collecting data over time. I too have spoke with Jason in the past and he seems to be a real stand-up guy. I hope you get your issue worked out.

So I had a hard starting issue and found out that some people had similar issues and the remedy was to re-adjust the exhaust valves to the tighter end of the range so that the decompression levers would be more engaged. I did that and I found out that the camshaft position sensor timing was off as well. All in all I am glad I opened the bike up and fixed the problem.... I had checked out everything at 48K but I guess even though all was within spec, the engine wasn't happy after another 3K miles .... :dunno Moral of the story is to be a bit more Germanic in adjusting things... :lol3

Well the bike is at the dealer as the hard starting issue is ongoing. The bike started fine after a ride when it cools down for 30-45 mins but refuses to start when hot after a pee break. I suspect that the starter is the culprit as it draws so many amps that the tail light dims and all kind of warning light come on as well, all without turning the engine over… I’ll see what the dealer says next week. Had a nice ride today though..😁

Well the bike is at the dealer as the hard starting issue is ongoing. The bike started fine after a ride when it cools down for 30-45 mins but refuses to start when hot after a pee break. I suspect that the starter is the culprit as it draws so many amps that the tail light dims and all kind of warning light come on as well, all without turning the engine over… I’ll see what the dealer says next week. Had a nice ride today though..😁
I didn't want to say, but it was highly unlikely the valve gap was the issue. You could be right on the starter.

I didn’t think the valves would have anything to do with that either unless they were way off, but that would also mean that the engine would run like crap and it doesn’t. It is smooth as can be and the bike gets great mileage as well…

The bad starting is due to a failing battery in my case. I just cleaned all the contacts in the starting circuit and applied dielectric grease to all the connections and the bike started right up even with the old battery that I recharged while working on the connections. I’ll order a new battery next week. I had the dealer check out everything as well and it was their conclusion also.. One year out of a battery isn’t that great but the heat down here is known to kill them quicker than normal. Perhaps it was faulty from the get-go.. :dunno Now the question is Lithium Iron or AGM again…. I’m leaning towards either Antigravity or EarthX…

The bad starting is due to a failing battery in my case. I just cleaned all the contacts in the starting circuit and applied dielectric grease to all the connections and the bike started right up even with the old battery that I recharged while working on the connections. I’ll order a new battery next week. I had the dealer check out everything as well and it was their conclusion also.. One year out of a battery isn’t that great but the heat down here is known to kill them quicker than normal. Perhaps it was faulty from the get-go.. :dunno Now the question is Lithium Iron or AGM again…. I’m leaning towards either Antigravity or EarthX…
Congrats. Glad you found it. Hopefully I can find a discussion on here about Lithium vs. AGM.

I went with Antigravity for my GSA back in '19 and so far so good. :thumb

I put an Anti-gravity lithium in my GSA, in the fall, and so far, good. I put a high CCA AGM (Chrome) in my RT, late summer, and it has failed to crank/start a couple of times. Last time I rode, I put it on the battery tender for an hour before riding and had no problems. Looks like I'll be giving the RT a new battery for the new year.

Top Bottom Back Refresh