What's new

What is this thing???

were getting off track.

What is this thing?

1678674279374.png

This things been sitting in the woods since we moved here in '89. Decided to do something with it. Legs are about rotted off and looks like they're should be a plank where those carriage bolts are. I'm not sure what it is. I have an idea, but I'm curious if anyone here actually knows for sure.
IMG_20230423_165805822.jpg

Blade is in really good shape. I think I could easily put a nice, smooth edge back on it. Can't make out any lettering beyond "patented".
IMG_20230423_165841609.jpg
IMG_20230423_165818036.jpg
IMG_20230423_165901795.jpg

Looks like we're all on the same track!

My first guess was corn also. Don't think tobacco has ever been grown here, but corn has been and some cane does grow wild, but very little up on the mountains way from big water sources. But then I don't know why you'd need to be chopping up so many corn stalks? I'm no corn farmer though.

Danno, yeah, it looks like you're expected to mount a plank where those carriage bolts are hanging loose, but I didn't think about an actual tray with sides.

Must have been for feed and storage reasons. Corn grows like trees here. I have a few locals that might know more. The farms were smaller in the past. Much of the cultivating was by hand. Almost everyone over 40 has picked tabacco by hand. The tabacco is still handled in a very precise way. But it was a true art form in the past. Presentation was a big part to sell at the market.

I kinda wonder if the cut up corn stalks were fermented. But hog feed seems more likely.

I was on the track of corn stalk cutting also but can't think of a reason one would do that. Stalks are chopped (by machine now) for silage (stored in a silo) but would/could that be done by hand?

I was on the track of corn stalk cutting also but can't think of a reason one would do that. Stalks are chopped (by machine now) for silage (stored in a silo) but would/could that be done by hand?
Hand work was reliable. And everyone had a job. Hand picking stopped here about 20 some years ago.

There is "still" hand work today. There might have been a reason why the cutter was found in the woods. It was a quiet machine.

I've got one for the old farts in the group, what is this? Center section looks flat with no curve. edges curved up and looked sharp from tip to tip. I don't see it being useful for slotting type cuts with the handle sticking out so far, and overall the head looked almost flat like a hoe.

Saw this at the Tinkertown Museum over in Sandia. If it helps it was hanging in the the "drydock" over the yacht.....in the middle of the desert....because the guy was odd..... lol

Side note, the museum is a fun weird little stop after riding up the crest. 10/10 would recommend especially if your GF is artsy.
2RvgsAX-qU1MN&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg

I can see the hemi head in the barn. I bet there are two of them. Wonder what else is in there..

Were doing a barn demo on SAT.
1687917909825-png.57496

Barn Demo in Progress..

What is this thing?

1688240119539.png

Top Bottom Back Refresh