What's new

Why are you here?

Why did you come to this forum?

• I was banned from ADV Rider

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • The VS takeover will ruin ADV Rider so I switched

Votes: 40 27.8%
  • I'm still on ADV Rider and here as well.

Votes: 101 70.1%
  • What's ADV Rider? I just wandered in off the street

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 24 16.7%

• Total voters
I posted it here with no problem.

200.gif

:ksteve

It's been over a year since I came over to this forum. I'm still on ADVr. I still don't see much change there but then I mostly stay in bike relates areas. I wander into JM for the jokes and Killboy Failure thread. I occasionally peek in CSM and it is still a toxic cesspool.

I'm not disputing anyone's claims about the changes over in ADVr but it really depends on where you hang out.
I think it was the locking down of the Asshole Parking thread that pushed me over the edge. IIRC, a couple of folks got into a pissing match and rather than address the issue - the thread was shut down. I haven't left for good, but it motivated me to add ADVr to the list of things I gave up for Lent. I must say, I've learned to live without it.

DAGNABIT...

1680772602005.png

EDIT: The most direct response is that I was invited to come here.

I do somewhat miss ADV under Baldy's rule.

Though in fairness, under Baldy's rule there was still no dire shortage of gaslighting good-ol'-boy cockholsters enjoying their moderator duties just a little too much.

They (ehrm, the mods, some at least) do seem to be worse now though.

Frankly I used to have the attitude that if I wasn't getting an occasional ban I was just pissing away my First Amendment rights. But nowadays it's becoming rather arbitrary and unpredictable. Totally unrewarding.

Then there's the fact that before VS came along I never ever saw malicious code delivered through an ad. NEVER. Now is a different story.

I expect further gradual decline and I am grateful that others have been so generous with their resources as to provide a refuge for people who are growing tired of the nonsense.

Last edited:
After speed-reading some of the contributions here I would like to add a thing or two...

To start:

There are folks who have some rather choice words about CSM. I grew up (ehrm, well, sort of) in the gestational days of LUCIFERnet. This goes back to when folks were using 1200 baud modems (woo-hoo!) to dial into computer systems nearby and the computers would trade messages overnight (when toll charges were lower) so folks could converse online with people across the country and overseas. For those who are unfamiliar, which is probably nearly all of you if not all of you, one of the notions of LUCIFERnet was that by making profanity normal, it became un-profane.

I have no expectations of the entire online world being able to cope with this kind of notion. And words can be important. But so too can context. This is something that Certain Folks on ADVr do not seem to be able to grasp well. Now, when some shitty software on the likes of Faceborg thinks that talking about a Fatboy constitutes some kind of bullying (and I mean who the hell teases people about anything but Sportsters, amiright?), I can shrug hopelessly and write it off as shitty programming by offshored "talent". But when a [purported] human being does it, it's more difficult to casually dismiss.

As for ads:

I'm reluctant to use ad blockers. I don't mind being The Product. I understand that gone are the days of folks running these sites as a hobby. They can be enormous money sinks and particularly if I'm not directly contributing financially, I'm OK with contributing via the "views". On the other hand, there's a special place in hell for allowing advertisers who rotate ads onto a page that use two or three different vertical dimensions without giving a rat's ass about framing them consistently, which is why many of us wound up complaining about page content leaping around.

I'm inclined to accuse these agencies of relying on this nonsense to turn views into clicks, however errant. But the result is that folks like myself lose their ambivalence and fire up the ad blockers. At which point there are no clicks and no views either. Which, by the way, is approximately the same outcome as banning users over nonsense.

First off ... welcome :beer

But when a [purported] human being does it, it's more difficult to casually dismiss.
100%, it's not like we're 5yrs old and need protection from adult type discussions. It's not easy to be a Mod here. We plan to keep speech as free as possible here so aside from their added responsibilities they may often find themselves having put their own beliefs aside when proofing posts. This goes for replying to reported posts as well, the person who is reporting an issue they may have, could be something the mod agrees with but has to tell the reporter it doesn't violate posting rules and they both have to let it ride.

So the mods definitely deserve a tip of the hat for checking their own beliefs in order to allow all people in the sport to come and participate.

I'm reluctant to use ad blockers. I don't mind being The Product.
I appreciate that. There are minimal ads here intended to just keep the lights on. I have no intention of making a career or getting rich off this forum, I just hope that it pays for itself in the near future. irate4x4 on the other hand, I have been very open that I would like to make that into something that generates enough to support my family. Not through ads, through selling off-road parts and accessories which those members buy anyway. So even with that goal for that forum, they see the same volume of ads, in all the same places you all do.

Since you used 'ad blockers' and 'the product' in that post ... I want to point out for those not aware that adblockers are just as vile, if not more, than the ads themselves. To expand on what Rectaltronics said, if you're not paying for it you're the product. Thats especially true for most all ad blockers. While they may block ads for you, they also know every single thing you do on the web ... and guess who pays for that? There are a slew business that want that data, especially Ad companies. Quick scenario: Say you are the perfect customer for Product X but you block all their ads trying to reach you. The adblockers see that and let Product X know that if they pay a bit more on a place without ad blockers, like FB or IG, they can reach you there. There is a ton of ways for ad blocker to make $$ by watching your traffic. Some ad blockers even allow avid cues to pay them to allow their ads to be displayed. I could go on and on but, but as the owner of a site ... with ads on it … expressing hate for ad blockers is likely mistaken as a move for my pocketbook.

I'm inclined to accuse these agencies of relying on this nonsense to turn views into clicks
You 100% should, you’re not totally wrong. These are typically the ad agency that creates the ads, not necessarily the company that manages them. The creators are hired by the company advertising their widget. They are under pressure to bring traffic/sales to their client. So sneaky movement is a good way to get a click and somebody on the clients site. The company managing the ad delivery wants those clicks so they make more $. So some of the more ethical ones, like we use, kill those methods when they see the ad submitted for publication. Others don’t because they want the $$ and this is typical for VS sites. Ad impressions (a display or view) could land $.40 per 1k impressions but a click can be $.20-$.30 per click. Some super niche sites like medical or insurance related ones can get $100, $200 even $400 per click. So shifting the ad with CSS as the curser is near the ad can be pretty profitable…… at the expense of the user’s experience.

Our ad management company does a good job filtering out those predatory ads. As with anything code related there is always somebody that codes a new way to slip those ads past them. I’d say they get 99% of them, I assume, I don’t have acces to the metrics of the ones blocked. I do know that if I report one during typical 9-5 M-F business hours it’s pulled from inventory very quickly. So if you if you see that … report it

:beer

Last edited:
First off ... welcome :beer
Thank you and thanks for the hard work.

100%, it's not like we're 5yrs old and need protection from adult type discussions. It's not easy to be a Mod here. We plan to keep speech as free as possible here so aside from their added responsibilities they may often find themselves having put their own beliefs aside when proofing posts.
You haven't seen the campfires I've been to!

Which is kinda' how the Rectaltronics catalog came to be... :augie

FWIW I do have the joy of being moderator in a few places.

Take care,
Brad

I appreciate that. There are minimal ads here intended to just keep the lights on. I have no intention of making a career or getting rich off this forum, I just hope that it pays for itself in the near future. irate4x4 on the other hand, I have been very open that I would like to make that into something that generates enough to support my family. Not through ads, through selling off-road parts and accessories which those members buy anyway. So even with that goal for that forum, they see the same volume of ads, in all the same places you all do.

Since you used 'ad blockers' and 'the product' in that post ... I want to point out for those not aware that adblockers are just as vile, if not more, than the ads themselves. To expand on what Rectaltronics said, if you're not paying for it you're the product. Thats especially true for most all ad blockers. While they may block ads for you, they also know every single thing you do on the web ... and guess who pays for that? There are a slew business that want that data, especially Ad companies. Quick scenario: Say you are the perfect customer for Product X but you block all their ads trying to reach you. The adblockers see that and let Product X know that if they pay a bit more on a place without ad blockers, like FB or IG, they can reach you there. There is a ton of ways for ad blocker to make $$ by watching your traffic. Some ad blockers even allow avid cues to pay them to allow their ads to be displayed. I could go on and on but, but as the owner of a site ... with ads on it … expressing hate for ad blockers is likely mistaken as a move for my pocketbook.
I use ad blocker. It's off by default. I rarely turn it on on a website. Those can be counted on the fingers on one hand. There are dozens of websites I've stopped visiting completely due to overzealous ad ratio, and intrusive ads. In places where the ads are reasonable I click them every now and then.
Your browser and your mobile phone know so much about you that it's not even funny. The browser knows all my web browsing history, on all my linked devices. In Google Maps I can look up exactly which way I stumbled home from the pub yesterday. Google Maps also knows where I work, at what time I like to be at work, and leave, and which way I take. Where I like to shop. The wallet in my phone knows exactly what products I like to buy, and how much I spend. Alphabet knows it all.

I don't like Chinese or electric bikes and let them know about it, therefore I am here

It doesn't take much to get banned over there. The days of Toxic Brittney, etc. are long gone.
I was hit for posting a Vespa ad in scooter girls. I posted it here with no problem.
I think it's how the mods feel that day. (Time of the month?)
30 days? Come back when you're on double secret probation

I still back front page click traps. The article was a saving grace hail mary attempted click piece by a low view author. This isnt Kevin Cameron style articles. Which would get a different comments.

These articles are bs. Very antimotorcycle content that seems to divide the enthusiasts that pays for the industry.

I dont always agree but venting is venting. I appreciate the passion. I would predict the view count took a hit when Mumphy got banned. I wouldn't be surprised if most skipped right to comments. Half were waiting to silently agree and the other half waiting to disagree and call foul.

Basically if I was an author that wanted to talk about global patent laws...I might leave my bike community out of it. Because passion is a distraction. Why freaking focus on bikes when its all products. Just a junk article..rubbing salt where it is not needed.

Last edited:
My experience with ADV Rider over the past two years is that it is dominated by a few grumpy, old, extremely ignorant, close minded moderators that refuse to acknowledge any facts, reality or other viewpoints. If you express a view, even if it is verified in books, service manuals or Wikipedia, that they disagree with, they will insult, harass and degrade you.

The attitude there is very similar to another forum, Pratical Machinist, which is a forum for professional machine tool operators. Very little education, yet they shamelessly harass anybody with a modern or alternative or educated viewpoint.

I think these forums become outlets for lonely, old, grumpy, ignorant men who want to bully others.

Don't dare make statements on ADV Rider such as:
  • Modern fuel injection is better than a carb, especially for fuel efficiency and adjustment to altitude and temperature
  • Modern off road traction control and ABS are proven superior to 99% of humans
  • Stochiometric ratio is defined by the laws of physics and chemistry and is 14.7:1 for a gasoline engine burning air on earth. Stochiometric is neither rich nor lean, but exactly in between as the ideal ratio where all fuel and air is consumed in combustion.
  • Radial tires are usually better than bias ply tires, which is 1970s technology and hasn't been used in cars for 30 to 40 years
  • There is a compromise between traction and tire life, as softer rubber wears faster.
  • Aluminum and steel should use different tap drill diameters. All published tap charts and machining books describe using a slightly larger diameter drill for steel than aluminum. This is true except for very thin or soft steel.
Also, the site is shamelessly commercial, often advertising products and companies located in Russia. They do not allow any criticism of virtually any product for fear of disuading vendors from advertising. They delete posts they don't agree with, even if backed up with evidence and reason.

The mods strike me as bullies. After all, who would volunteer their time to moderate for a for profit corporation for little or no pay, other than somebody who receives satisfaction from the power trip?

I find there are some people still on ADV Rider who are knowledgeable and capable of evaluating other perspectives, but they get immediately drowned out by the ignorant loud mouths.

Last edited:
Hell if i know, i just saw all these bike turning up the driveway i followed thinking it was a big party or sumfink, naively expecting free beer and rampant sexual intercourse. But all that was on offer was Textual intercourse. which is fine compared to Textual abuse on the other site. Viva ADV bikes.

Hell if i know, i just saw all these bike turning up the driveway i followed thinking it was a big party or sumfink, naively expecting free beer and rampant sexual intercourse. But all that was on offer was Textual intercourse. which is fine compared to Textual abuse on the other site. Viva ADV bikes.
You suffer from dyslexya dislexusia mixing letters too? :rofl

Top Bottom Back Refresh