What's new

CRF450L /RL Mega Thread

A49FA4CE-03E9-479A-B596-1D87A425C4F4.jpeg

Well, I joined the club. Just followed me home like a lost puppy…

Anyone have a good source for the Service Manual? Helm is now up to $86 shipped. I mean, every other thing about the bike cost a fortune, but spending $36 to ship a $50 manual seems a bit abusive. I'd prefer a professionally bound one like they're selling, but am open to suggestions.

Anyone have a good source for the Service Manual? Helm is now up to $86 shipped. I mean, every other thing about the bike cost a fortune, but spending $36 to ship a $50 manual seems a bit abusive. I'd prefer a professionally bound one like they're selling, but am open to suggestions.
Is there not a free pdf somewhere? That's about all I use the laptop for these days. I prefer cleaning the touchscreen of the laptop over smudging paper pages.

I do have some manuals in three ring binders. It's nice being able to take only the pages you need with you sometimes. Thumbtack to the wall. Handsfree. More convenient than a bound book that needs 14 wrenches strategically stacked to hold it open while not obstructing the part you need 😁

Off topic, but do you guys usually leave the left side cover on the bike or off? I see MVI has pics with it on and off. It obviously looks cleaner with it on, and the little foam piece surely quiets things down. But it’s kinda tough to get that cover off around my AXP skid for the oil change.

I threw mine away close to 3 years ago. So any photos with is on are from Sept 2018 thru Aug 2019 only.
I packed mine full of mud and corrosion ensued.

How do the Ls cruise? I’m not looking to cross country or freeway commute. Any input on RPMs at 60mph?

if looking for more highway speeds, Add a 14T and it is perfect.

mine is a little buzzy at 65mph with the stock 13T

Thanks. I can deal with a little buzzy. I’m looking to replace the KLX at some point and all roads keep leading to the L…

Thanks. I can deal with a little buzzy. I’m looking to replace the KLX at some point and all roads keep leading to the L…
DJ, I have zero experience with the L and have nothing intelligent to report about them. Howeva, big bore bikes are very addictive with all that torque and big easy power, especially if you like to short shift. I was researching the Honda when I accidently stumbled into another old KTM 525 which quickly reminded me of that. You should scratch that CRF450L itch if it's on your short list!

9C97C654-D23A-4E92-BC6A-8CBE9EA182EF.jpeg

The first dirt nap for this bike. But it’s in the trees, kinda propped up. Is a tree nap a thing? A hammock? Dunno the terminology.

Edit—sorry for the sideways pic. Tried it 5 different ways.

We have all been there.

(Nov 4, 2019 - Sooner ADV Ride - AKA Guy Cooper ride : to Stillwater and back)

Not to worry, the little CRF will be awake soon enough

IMG_20191103_105734.jpg

but the front wheel did not survive. I hit the tree so hard some spokes popped and bent the rim to the point of no return.
IMG_20191103_140333.jpg

D980AE26-8607-441F-9A8B-E1DAEC433651.jpeg

Here’s my bike as it sits now. Has a Motoz Rallz front, Tusk DS rear, AXP skid, hand guards, Flatland front disc guard, Flatland rad guards, and the Athena GET ECU. I’m really happy with it so far. This thing needs a seat like crazy, though.

I get a laugh when people talk about the KTM/Husqvarna being a "more aggressive" bike. That's utter nonsense. The Honda 450L is way firmer, more precise, and more controlled.

A KTM 500exc-f feels soft like a Whizzelberry in comparison. This Honda is seriously sporting. It may be 15 pounds heavier, but I can comfortably run speeds on this Honda that would scare the hell out of me on a KTM 500
20211012_153419.jpg

I’m wanting to get one of these bikes, if I can get a dealership/bank to make me a deal with financing (I don’t have that much cash). I’ve got three options locally. A brand new 2022. A 2021 with about 2,700 miles, and a 2019 with about 700 miles. The brand new one is listed at $9999. Both the other ones are marked around $9500, so almost new prices. But I figure buying used, I can save on a lot of additional fees. So the question is this: if price is roughly the same, is the 2021 with 2000 more miles different enough to make it better than the 2019 with fewer miles? Both appear to be stock from the listings.

Thanks.

I’m wanting to get one of these bikes, if I can get a dealership/bank to make me a deal with financing (I don’t have that much cash). I’ve got three options locally. A brand new 2022. A 2021 with about 2,700 miles, and a 2019 with about 700 miles. The brand new one is listed at $9999. Both the other ones are marked around $9500, so almost new prices. But I figure buying used, I can save on a lot of additional fees. So the question is this: if price is roughly the same, is the 2021 with 2000 more miles different enough to make it better than the 2019 with fewer miles? Both appear to be stock from the listings.

Thanks.
Same bike, but they lost the white in 2021.

2700 versus 700 miles seems irrelevant, but I'd try to find one with some useful farkles: say a JD Tuner/aftermarket ecu, exhaust, larger fuel tank, etc.

When I bought mine, comparable used ones were almost as much as new. But things have changed since then. But if had waited, I would have lost a fantastic spring, summer, and fall of riding this amazing machine.

Bear in mind that it's heavier than your 250RX, but the better gear ratios and torque make the 450RL easier in tight singletrack, and much more comfortable on the road. I've been pleasantly surprised by how good it is at 75-80 mph

Top Bottom Back Refresh