What's new

Honda CT125 or Trail 125 thread

When I decided to get a mini-moto I had wanted a Trail with a Monkey being a fallback since you couldn't get a Trail anywhere at the time. I ended up with a monkey and while not as storage capable as the Trail I think I have enough on it now to make it work almost as good. I wanted an around town errand bike so I didn't need to get a car out to for those things and the occasional commute (now that I made engine changes)
monkey side2.jpeg
monkey side1.jpeg

There is also the front rack and if I need to I can add a rack to the handlebars but I think this should be sufficient for most trips.

I finally went out for a ride! I commute with my Trail pretty much every day but I just haven't been able to get out for a real ride. It's done! I did a 30 mile loop going through downtown and riding out west "the loop" before going back south and east. I found out that if you get out really enough and plan your route some, you can actually ride in the shade for a good while.

FWL99BNWYAEb8FY?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I just jumped the curb for the picture. The tires don't inspire confidence on gravel. Everything else is good.

FWL9_UfXoAEVOWs?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Not a lot of traffic - and that's the way uh huh u huh I like it

FWL-BC7WYAATc53?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Last Monday through Wednesday we did a few longer days on the Trail 125s. It was all on 55mph or slower roads, there was a good bit of dirt, on “seasonal“ roads that are just wide enough for a Jeep of other small vehicle. We averaged about 200mi/day. The bikes did really well, there is something fun about just putting a bike on the throttle stop and riding that way for hours on end.

I have a few complaints though. The fuel range is disappointing. The second half of the tank goes away much quicker than the first half. We were in a more populated area and a few times we rolled into the gas station and put 1.3 gallons into the 1.4 gallon tanks because we passed a gas station at a half of a tank and did not see another for a long distance. The way the air intake and exhaust are run, it makes standing on the bike, for more than a short time, difficult. I don’t like how wide the rear rack is and how wide the rear of the bike is. It makes using throw over luggage impossible, if I were able to fit bags, they would stick very far out past the center line of the bike. I ended up packing everything in a crate on top of the bike, making the bike top heavy.

I am probably going to shop for a different traveling option, I like the 125 motor, I think something 200cc or less would be just fine. I have concerns over a normal scooter with a CVT and how that will deal with deep water and mud, so a normal transmission would be ideal.

Last Monday through Wednesday we did a few longer days on the Trail 125s. It was all on 55mph or slower roads, there was a good bit of dirt, on “seasonal“ roads that are just wide enough for a Jeep of other small vehicle. We averaged about 200mi/day. The bikes did really well, there is something fun about just putting a bike on the throttle stop and riding that way for hours on end.

I have a few complaints though. The fuel range is disappointing. The second half of the tank goes away much quicker than the first half. We were in a more populated area and a few times we rolled into the gas station and put 1.3 gallons into the 1.4 gallon tanks because we passed a gas station at a half of a tank and did not see another for a long distance. The way the air intake and exhaust are run, it makes standing on the bike, for more than a short time, difficult. I don’t like how wide the rear rack is and how wide the rear of the bike is. It makes using throw over luggage impossible, if I were able to fit bags, they would stick very far out past the center line of the bike. I ended up packing everything in a crate on top of the bike, making the bike top heavy.

I am probably going to shop for a different traveling option, I like the 125 motor, I think something 200cc or less would be just fine. I have concerns over a normal scooter with a CVT and how that will deal with deep water and mud, so a normal transmission would be ideal.
What's your mpg? Once I know my mpg I always keep an eye on the odometer.

What's your mpg? Once I know my mpg I always keep an eye on the odometer.

On the full throttle 55mph roads, it drops just below 100mpg. The bike hits 1/2 tank of fuel at 70-75 miles. The low fuel flashing starts at 100-105 miles. If the speeds are more like 35mph, I get 120mpg. Kind of obvious but what makes a big difference is slight drafting. My wife led for an entire tank and I rode fairly close behind her, I got significantly better milage on that tank. She does not ride very close behind me, so she does not get that benefit.

Sounds like Monkey territory. I think I've seen a rackless system on one.

I don’t like the small wheels. I may be misguided but my thinking is the larger wheels of the Trail 125 allows it to roll over rougher terrain. I really like rough dirt roads.

I asked my local Honda dealer if it would be possible to put the wheels of the Super Cub on the Trail. The service manager and I spent about an hour looking at diagrams and part numbers. It's not possible. They have different swing arms, brakes, etc. Does anyone know if there's an aftermarket cast wheel that fits the Trail?

I don’t like the small wheels. I may be misguided but my thinking is the larger wheels of the Trail 125 allows it to roll over rougher terrain. I really like rough dirt roads.
There is a reason dirt/dual sport bikes have large wheels. While it certainly is possible to ride off road with small wheels you do have to be more careful on rough roads and slow down.

There is a reason dirt/dual sport bikes have large wheels. While it certainly is possible to ride off road with small wheels you do have to be more careful on rough roads and slow down.

Even with the 17” wheels, my wife slammed a pot hole on a dirt road so hard, she rode the front wheel for a bit and almost went over the bars.

Even with the 17” wheels, my wife slammed a pot hole on a dirt road so hard, she rode the front wheel for a bit and almost went over the bars.
Compared to the 21" front wheels most dirt bikes have, 17" is still pretty small. Even 21" wheels won't roll over everything.

Compared to the 21" front wheels most dirt bikes have, 17" is still pretty small. Even 21" wheels won't roll over everything.

I am not sure an 8hp 125 will move bigger and heavier wheels. That is why some many small displacement bikes have small wheels. Someone on FB is putting bigger wheels on a Trail 125, I don’t think it is going to work very well.

I am not sure an 8hp 125 will move bigger and heavier wheels. That is why some many small displacement bikes have small wheels. Someone on FB is putting bigger wheels on a Trail 125, I don’t think it is going to work very well.
A big part of the appeal of a trail 125 is the small size and light weight. Many people say "if only Honda would make it a 250". If they made it a 250 then it would be much bigger and heavier. Might as well buy a CRF250L at that point. Every bike is a compromise. I think the 17" wheels are right for that bike. You just can't expect to ride it like a hard core dirt bike.

A big part of the appeal of a trail 125 is the small size and light weight. Many people say "if only Honda would make it a 250". If they made it a 250 then it would be much bigger and heavier. Might as well buy a CRF250L at that point. Every bike is a compromise. I think the 17" wheels are right for that bike. You just can't expect to ride it like a hard core dirt bike.

I have said many times, the displacement of that bike is perfect for what it is. If they add horsepower, the entire package would have to be upgraded. In rougher dirt road situations, the entire thing handles a bit like a wet noodle. The front and rear wheels feel disconnected. I think it is because of the single main tube frame design.

I have said many times, the displacement of that bike is perfect for what it is. If they add horsepower, the entire package would have to be upgraded. In rougher dirt road situations, the entire thing handles a bit like a wet noodle. The front and rear wheels feel disconnected. I think it is because of the single main tube frame design.
I would like to see Honda upgrade the engine to a 150, just to add about 5 MPH top speed on the road. It shouldn't require much weight gain if any. More than that and it would change the size and character of the bikes that use that engine. As for off road, speed is probably limited more by suspension than it is power anyway.

I would like to see Honda upgrade the engine to a 150, just to add about 5 MPH top speed on the road. It shouldn't require much weight gain if any. More than that and it would change the size and character of the bikes that use that engine. As for off road, speed is probably limited more by suspension than it is power anyway.
I'd like to see a 150cc or 200cc version. Mine for me would be ideal at around 20hp.

I added an intake, camshaft and tune and it adds 10mph. If doing the posted speed is what people did then it would be fine but they do 10 over. For around town 45mph and under roads its perfect.

Top Bottom Back Refresh